PDA

View Full Version : Huntin for Youngsters

rockgremlin
08-26-2005, 02:22 PM
What's a good age to take the boy out fishing and/or hunting? I have a 4-yr-old now, and I think that's a little too young for hunting, but might be just right for fishing.

Any thoughts?

Sombeech
08-26-2005, 09:52 PM
I'd say old enough to know what's going on.

Lehi
08-27-2005, 07:44 PM
As soon as they can legally hunt. 12 year olds can hunt small game, wich is very fun. Just go up grouse hunting or rabbit hunting. Start them hunting early. Thats what my dad did with me, and still does with me, Im 16, and I cant get enough big and small game hunting.

:hail2thechief:

Windwalker
08-28-2005, 07:42 AM
Nothing wrong with taking the little ones out hunting. I took the kids out hunting (small game, never been much of a large game hunter) as soon as the could walk in the outdoors w/o stumbling. They carried toy rifle/shotguns while I taught them safety and care/use of the weapon while in the field. By the time they were ready for a real gun I never had to worry about a real gun accidentally being pointed in the wrong direction. If your a "intense" hunter it's probably best to go alone and then make time to hunt with your little ones where your focus is on them and not the hunt. There is more to hunting than "The Kill", the companionship your new hunting buddy is far more fun... My Two Bits Worth.

BBFlinger
10-28-2005, 12:46 PM
As soon as you can!
I take my kids fishing on a regular basis. But, small game hunting has to be their favorite. There is nothing more fun than watching my 6 year olds face when the geese lock up and come into the dekes.

BrainDamage
10-28-2005, 11:26 PM
ya there is nothing wrong with taking young kids hunting, Shoot I started hunting with my dad at the age of 2. We did more that just shoot animal, this is something that made me and my dad close from a young age.