PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Canoeing the Tetons

Shan
08-24-2005, 10:24 AM
Hey all, just got back from canoe camping in Grand Teton NP. What a great, relaxing, fun trip! Nothing to do but eat, sleep, canoe and relax in no particular order.

We put in at String Lake and canoed up to Leigh Lake (includes a 100 yd portage). We were able to get a backcountry campsite for 2 nights (included in the fee!), we were lucky because these are first come first serve; unless you have some foresight you can reserve sites before May 15 for a fee. It took 1.5 hours to canoe both lakes, get to camp, including the portage.

We drove up the night before and stayed near Granite Hot Springs, a free hot spring pool with deck up in the mountains, near Hoback Junction.

Here's some photos. The people next to us said they had a bear in camp. But we didn't see any however. If you want to do this trip and need some suggestions, PM me!

accadacca
08-24-2005, 10:40 AM
One word to describe that.....BEAUTIFUL. Rockgremlin will have to take some notes of your picture taking. :haha: Great shots.......amazing. :eek2:

Mtnbiker
08-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Wow, LOVED the two B & W, and your "clear water" shot. that water looks like heaven! I grew up on the water in Northern Michigan so that brings me back home..

We stopped in Jackson for a day on our honeymoon a few weeks ago and I can't wait to get back. A canoe or kayak trip like yours sounds fun!

derstuka
08-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Wow, LOVED the two B & W, and your "clear water" shot. that water looks like heaven! I grew up on the water in Northern Michigan so that brings me back home..

We stopped in Jackson for a day on our honeymoon a few weeks ago and I can't wait to get back. A canoe or kayak trip like yours sounds fun!

MTNBIKER:

I sent you a PM about your post.

TreeHugger
08-24-2005, 02:15 PM
Gorgeous! That is DEFINATELY a trip I"d like to do. The Tetons are one of my favorite places on earth. I had the good fortune to climb to the top of the Grand back in '97, the experience still lingers in my soul, and probably always will.

crazy horse
08-24-2005, 06:08 PM
I bet that was an awesome trip. I love the Tetons, especially right where you where. I think I've hiked jenny lake before...don't remember for sure though. If it was Jenny Lake then we saw a bear on the trail, it came within about 15 feet of us...pretty cool experience.

Sombeech
10-02-2005, 10:16 PM
Wow, I don't know why I haven't commented on this post yet! :ne_nau:

I must have previously seen it while at work, and didn't have time to post.

But I must say, great pics. We actually tried to go up paintbrush canyon one year. Or was it down? Can't remember. I remember planning around Leigh Lake, and Jenny Lake. We were going to do a loop which included Lake Solitude.

I would still love to go up there. The Wind Rivers were close, but they ain't no Tetons!

Thanks again for the trip report.