PDA

View Full Version : What brand/model tires ya runnin'?

derstuka
08-22-2005, 03:04 PM
Ok folks, what is your current brand/model of tire that you run? Do you have a favorite brand/model? What brand/model do you stay away from, or have had bad experiences with?

I have run Tioga (forgot the model) and they were ok, but wore quickly. Since then, I have run IRC Kujos & Missles which are virtually bullet-proof, but heavy, so I switched to IRC Trailbears (on sale from $40 for $15 a pop) last year, I saved about 1-2 lbs, and no pinch flats yet. I love the tires, they can take all the abuse that I dish out so far. I just can't seem to justify paying 50-60 a tire for another tire that wears out quickly, and might not handle that much better.

eddy1911
08-22-2005, 04:13 PM
I'm running Kenda Nevegal DTC 2.3 sized tires. They have done me quite well. I like the way they hook up on the trail.

Eddy

derstuka
08-22-2005, 05:37 PM
I'm running Kenda Nevegal DTC 2.3 sized tires. They have done me quite well. I like the way they hook up on the trail.

Eddy

Oh, I forgot to state. I used to run 2.35 front and rear, then 2.35 front and 2.25 rear, now it is all 2.25 front and rear.

Do you have 2.3 front and rear? My buddy has Kenda Blue Groove tires and he loves them, but his only complaint is that they are wearing a little fast.

DickHead
08-22-2005, 07:10 PM
Ritchey Excavader 1.9's. Like sand paddles for a bike.....I love 'em, except they are wire beads...quite a bitch to change a flat.
:frustrated:

accadacca
08-22-2005, 10:25 PM
I am running some maxxis tires front and rear at the moment. A Mofo XC on the rear and an Instinct on the front. I really like these tires and the tread design is what I have been running for years. I use to get a panaracer dart for the front and a smoke on the rear. The tread is really similar on these to the maxxis that I am running now. I need a new set soon, my back is getting bald quick.

derstuka
08-23-2005, 07:00 AM
I am running some maxxis tires front and rear at the moment. A Mofo XC on the rear and an Instinct on the front. I really like these tires and the tread design is what I have been running for years. I use to get a panaracer dart for the front and a smoke on the rear. The tread is really similar on these to the maxxis that I am running now. I need a new set soon, my back is getting bald quick.

What size are you running now on the Maxxis? What did you think of the Panaracer's? If they made them wider, I was gonna try a pair.

fourtycal
08-23-2005, 07:21 AM
Continental Diesel 2.5". When I switched to "Stans no tubes" I had to get a tire with a stiffer sidewall. These are industrial strength! they just don't weart out! :ride:

accadacca
08-23-2005, 08:50 AM

What size are you running now on the Maxxis? What did you think of the Panaracer's? If they made them wider, I was gonna try a pair.
I have not gone too wide yet. I guess I am old school. When I pick up my new bike I am sure it will have some wide ones. It seems that everyone is going wide now days. Does size really matter? :lol8: I have a 2.1 on the front and 1.95 on the back. I love the Panaracer's! I used them for several years and I would still use them. I got a deal on the maxxis set and I really like their product line. I have a set of maxxis worm drive tires on another set of rims that I use on the road.

DickHead
08-23-2005, 08:58 AM
I've never figured out the tire width thing. I imagine a wider tire is for traction and comfort? I guess its the road geek in me....smaller lighter tires mean less rolling resistance and rotational weight means faster acceleration and climbing speed.

derstuka
08-23-2005, 09:02 AM
I have not gone too wide yet. I guess I am old school. When I pick up my new bike I am sure it will have some wide ones. It seems that everyone is going wide now days. Does size really matter? :lol8: I have a 2.1 on the front and 1.95 on the back. I love the Panaracer's! I used them for several years and I would still use them. I got a deal on the maxxis set and I really like their product line. I have a set of maxxis worm drive tires on another set of rims that I use on the road.

Well, going wider really is a personal preference, and depends on the types of riding that you do, as well as the conditions that you are riding in. I went smaller that I used to, but that is because I wanted to shed some weight and I was tired of pushing a 2.35 up a hill. I just like the reassurance that a wider tire gives me, by rolling much easier over logs, rocks, roots, ruts, etc...not to mention it gives me more control if I am bombing a hill. Wider is better for bombing a hill, freeriding, downhilling, and instills more confidence, as well as taking more abuse, and narrower tires are better for speed and weight.

eddy1911
08-23-2005, 09:18 AM
I'm running the 2.3's front and rear with the kevlar bead. Sure makes changing tubes easier. I'm curious how the different sized tires feel when riding them. What does a 1.95 tire feel like after riding a 2.3?

Eddy

derstuka
08-23-2005, 09:25 AM
I'm running the 2.3's front and rear with the kevlar bead. Sure makes changing tubes easier. I'm curious how the different sized tires feel when riding them. What does a 1.95 tire feel like after riding a 2.3?

Eddy

To me, when I ride on a trail on a friend's bike with much narrower tires, I am more reluctant to tackle certain obstacles, or at the very least I slow down some because I don't feel as confident going downhills as with my 2.25's. Climbing on a narrower tire is sweet though. I betcha that you would LOVE the feel of pushin' a 1.95 up as hill as opposed to your 2.3! Lots less weight and rolling resistance.

crazy horse
08-23-2005, 10:04 AM
I run 2.4 WTB Moto Raptors both front and rear. I love the way the big tires hook up in loose stuff and how well they grip around the corners. Riding on bikes with smaller tires is just scary to me, i lean and the tires feel like they are going to slip right out from under me.

derstuka
08-23-2005, 01:20 PM
I run 2.4 WTB Moto Raptors both front and rear. I love the way the big tires hook up in loose stuff and how well they grip around the corners. Riding on bikes with smaller tires is just scary to me, i lean and the tires feel like they are going to slip right out from under me.

I feel the same way when riding narrower tires; however, I as I stated previously, it is a hell of a lot easier to push narrower tire up a hill.

live2ride
09-02-2005, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the thread!! I am heading out the door right now to go and pick me up some tires!! We will see what one's I end up with by the time I check them out!! :five:

Mtnbiker
09-02-2005, 11:51 AM
I am using my Big Hit as my trailbike right now. Once you get the climbs over with the confidence and control on the downhills is so worth it.

Currently that bike has Arrow & Intense DH racing tires - 2.8 up front and 2.7 in back. they weigh about 490lbs each but the wide footprint soaks up rocks and holes like nothing else.

on every other bike I have I run the Trailbear 2.25's. I might switch those to a 2.5 though just cuz I like the sure-footedness of a larger tire.

Price aside, I've found the trailbears to be a great mix of durability and great traction, and relatively light to similar "burly" tires.
2 votes for IRC ! :2thumbs:

Fuzzy TheBikeGuy
09-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Currently that bike has Arrow & Intense DH racing tires - 2.8 up front and 2.7 in back. they weigh about 490lbs each but the wide footprint soaks up rocks and holes like nothing else.

:2thumbs:

:twisted: YEAH, BABY; FAT'S WHERE IT'S AT!!! A good tire is like a good woman; FAT AND STICKY!

I'm runnin' WTB 2.5" folders (weirwolf front, timberwolf rear) with their "DNA" rubber. These things stick to trail like a booger in a mustache, and are relatively light. :roll:

BrainDamage
09-10-2005, 12:57 PM
I don't know what I am running on my bike I just Go in to Fuzzy shop and tell him I need new tires on my bike. Man I am such a Newbie when I comes MTB stuff.

greyhair biker
10-04-2005, 08:57 PM
I run Maxxis High Rollers - 26" 2.5 on front & 24" 2.7 in back...on my RM9.
On my regular beater I run Nokian Gazzalotti's 2.3 FR & RR...then on slickrock I change to Panaracer Racing Raptors fr&RR