PDA

View Full Version : Yeilding - do you do it?

Shan
08-12-2005, 09:56 AM
According to IMBA guidelines, uphill mountain bikers have the right of way when we're talking about bikers (not hikers/horsepeople).

So what do you do if you are coming downhill and you approach another mountain biker humping up a hill? We're talking on single track, on a slope so one side drops down.

I generally will pullover and put one foot on the ground to let them pass, unless there's plenty of room to pass. But it's easy for me when I'm going downhill to resume my momentum in a matter of seconds.

There's a river trail near the mouth of the canyon. Sometimes the race club (or other supertrainers) will "train" on this trail. It's not a race course in my opinion. The lower section has families with strollers and children. These guys will seriosly play chicken with me as I'm climbing up. I end up loosing and swerve off to avoid a crash. I don't deem it wide enough to pass safely. Then I yell back at them, UP hill has right of way DUDE! Sometimes we get comments (Hey I'm training!), sometimes dirty looks. It ticks me off. I'm not as advanced as they are perhaps to pull off a simultaneous passing on a narrow sloped single track and I hate that they don't yeild or follow the rules. Like how hard is it to put a foot down for 2 seconds so I can safe pass uphill? I mean you're not going to lower your HR any more; you're already going down hill.

Alright, is this the consensus? Or are you one of those that attempts a double pass? What should I do? Stay in the middle of the trail and prepare for a collision? Keep trying to attempt the double pass because that's what yeilding means?

To me I get the feeling they think they own the trail and are oblivious to any rules just because they're "in training."

Sombeech
08-12-2005, 10:39 AM
Climbers definitely have the right of way. The downhillers should yield to them.

The shady areas occur though, when the definition of yielding is fuzzy.
It means to let the other have unrestricted passage.

So, if there's a wide space, you just need to move over enough to yield. On a singletrack, this usually means putting one foot down, and often lifting your bike off of the trail.

The other shady area is, what if you're coming back down the trail, but there's a short uphill section? Who's really climbing? Is it the person who's on their way back, or the person starting the trail who just hit a short downhill section?

Shan, if I were you, I wouldn't let the downhillers have their way with you. They'll learn.

Shan
08-12-2005, 10:51 AM
Yes, there is alot of shady areas, and each situation may have a different approach. I agree with you on that. And how to exactly yeild varies from person to person.

But you do agree though if you're the uphiller and the downhiller causes you to veer off the trail, loose your line or stop, then the downhiller is in the wrong. So I guess I play chicken til the end unless there's room for both of us.

eddy1911
08-12-2005, 10:52 AM
I think that this is very important. Downhill bikers are always supposed to yield to the uphillers. I just did Mueller Park yesterday and I was very conscious of stopping to the uphill riders along with anyone else coming up the trail when I was coming back down. Anyone that doesn't stop is very rude and inconsiderate of other trail users.

Eddy

Sombeech
08-12-2005, 11:39 AM
If I'm coming down, and it looks like the uphiller is a little unsure, I just smile and say "uphill has the right of way" and I let them pass.

Hopefully, when they come down, they'll remember that and pass it on.

If I'm climbing though, and I get the feeling the downhiller won't yield, I politely tell them that "uphill has the right of way".

Also, another yielding topic is, you are both climbing uphill. One is faster than the other, and riding up on the slower rider's tail.

What should happen?

eddy1911
08-12-2005, 11:49 AM
I usually try to be considerate of riders behind me on the way up. If I am climbing slower than them, I will offer to pull over to let them pass. Sometimes they will pass and sometimes they will just pace up the hill behind me. I do my best to stay out of other people's way. I don't want to impede another rider from going at the speed they are comfortable with. To me, it is important for everyone to get enjoyment from their ride and not go home with the thought that someone was a jerk to them on the trail.

Eddy

Shan
08-12-2005, 11:53 AM
Hmm, that's a good question. In a MTB race the slower rider does not have to pull over, so the faster rider must find a good spot to pass at their own risk.

But for non-racing, I would probably pull over if it were narrow and steep to let them go.

My hubby who is very fast won't ride anyone's wheel though. He'll time it so that he can pass them in a known good spot, or just say hello when he's behind them hoping they'll pull over for him. If they don't pull over, then I think a polite, "Howdy, mind if I pass you here?"

Sombeech
08-12-2005, 11:56 AM
True, racing is different. You actually DON'T want them to pass.

But in riding, it seems like the slower climber could use the break anyways, and the faster climber would be out of their sight in no time.

crazy horse
08-13-2005, 01:10 PM
I usually just yield for everyone, going up or down, unless they make it very obvious that they are going to yield. That way I can get a break on those nasty uphills and I don't mess up anyone's downhill ride. Then, hopefully someone else will have the same thoughts as me and let me ride through on the downhill.

Fuzzy TheBikeGuy
08-13-2005, 07:47 PM
There's a river trail near the mouth of the canyon. Sometimes the race club (or other supertrainers) will "train" on this trail. It's not a race course in my opinion. The lower section has families with strollers and children. These guys will seriosly play chicken with me as I'm climbing up. I end up loosing and swerve off to avoid a crash. I don't deem it wide enough to pass safely.
To me I get the feeling they think they own the trail and are oblivious to any rules just because they're "in training."

If you have a Ricky-Racer charging you when ANYONE would know to yield to you, AND there are mommies & kids around, he's a menace and an embarassment to all racers. I say try to identify him or them. His team manager or sponsors wouldn't like to hear this kind of thing associated with their team. :twisted:

There are other less populated trails to train on.

DickHead
08-16-2005, 09:07 AM
I yield on the downhill, not on the uphill, unless It becomes a game of chicken.
What's annoying is the guys who yield on the uphill when its open and clear and you can see them. I understand yielding on a blind corner because you heard me crashing my way down....maybe I should call out to these guys and tell them I'm yielding the trail or something.

Sombeech
08-16-2005, 09:31 AM
I understand yielding on a blind corner because you heard me crashing my way down....maybe I should call out to these guys and tell them I'm yielding the trail or something.

That's why I bought this thing, just to give it a squeeze when I'm coming around a corner, up or down.

http://uutah.com/forum/files/img_0232.jpg

mroy
08-17-2005, 09:09 AM
I tend to yield either way. I've never minded yielding to downhillers for a couple reasons: In most cases it's a lot easier to stop & get off the trail going up than it is when you're going down, I probably need the break anyway, waiting for a downhiller to pass you takes only a couple seconds, cranking uphill through a cloud of dust the downhiller made when they stopped isn't fun, and I know I'd rather have an uninterrupted downhill than an uninterrupted climb. The only time I think yielding on the downhill makes sense is if the guy on the uphill is on one hell of a climb where they won't be able to get going again if they stopped. That said, I still always yield on the downhill unless the uphill guy yields first.

derstuka
08-18-2005, 06:40 AM
IMO...on the trail, few things are more rude than some SOB bombing down the trail while you are climbing up causing you to stop and lose your momentum. It is fine if there is room to pass the climber, or if the climber waves you by and wants a break, but if the trail is a narrow single-track, then I always wait for the climber to ascend. Ever try and regain your momentum on a tricky climb after someone caused you to stop? :twisted: It isn't fun, and besides, it is MUCH easier for someone to stop and restart going downhill, than for someone to stop and start going uphill...especially if the hill is steep, rocky, loose, or all of the above. This goes for hikers climbing up, and equestrians as well, wait for their ok, then pass. I have been to more than one SDMBA (San Diego Mountain Biking Association) meeting where there was a couple of hikers attending, and giving their opinion about people bombing past them. These same hikers/equestrians/family riders, then talk to the rangers, and their representative to try and close the trails to bikes. Think I am exaggerating? Well, it happened here in SD (as well as other parts of CA), and will continue to happen until people learn some manners, and to share the trail. Too few rides know "or care" about proper trail etiquette, especially in this regard. :nono: Since we do not live completely alone on this planet, we will come across other riders on the trail, and we have to learn to share the trail in a respectful way...

accadacca
08-18-2005, 08:59 AM
I agree derstuka....... :nod: I always try to be extra respectful around hikers. Other bikers can BITE me. :lol8: For hikers I slow way down and get out of the way. I just go out of my way to be polite. Then I ask then how the hike is going or comment on the weather. A nice "HI" or how are you doing goes a long way. Especially if it is a nice looking bunny. :lol8: I hate to see trails closed from rude bikers. :nono: As far as the proper passing of other bikers it really depends on the situation. For the most part going down should yield.

TreeHugger
08-19-2005, 02:40 PM
mroy - I might agree that it's easier to stop and get out of the way if you're climbing up, but's it's WAY harder to start up again after stopping! I think that is part of the reason it's set up as the downhill riders yield. Plus, it's a bummer to have to break a rhythm while climbing to stop for a a downhill rider.

I wonder if those riders who were "training" had team jerseys on, or if they were just training for personal gain... if they had a team jersey on I might be inclined to drop a letter to their sponsors or manager of the team.

Shan
08-19-2005, 03:43 PM
Yes, most of them are on a team (I am familiar with the jerseys). I know they have a website, perhaps I will write something now, or wait for one more encounter. I don't know.

Sombeech
08-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Do you think these "team riders" who don't yield on the way down, yield on the way up?

I would get the feeling that they don't yield either way. It would be very interesting to see what happens when they don't yield to me as I'm climbing.

They just might be "suspended" from their team after losing the game of chicken with me. :nono:

I don't care if they're on a team, or even GOVERNMENT riders, if there were such a thing. Arrogant bikers just further my cause to shut 'em down.