PDA

View Full Version : Gym Etiquette

Superriffic S*
08-11-2005, 02:30 PM
I was at the gym the other day and was doing my usual thing: lifted some weights, ran on the treadmill etc. etc..

Well, while I was running on the treadmill I noticed this girl walking around one of the machines getting ready to do the chest press and she was wearing cutoffs and FLIP FLOPS!!! :frustrated: I couldn't believe it! Don't these people know what gym etiquette is? What if someone accidentally (God forbid... God forbid) dropped a weight on her precious toe? Don't most gyms have rules about wearing actual workout attire while WORKING OUT!?!?! Obviously this girl wasn't there to actually get a workout in; probablly just came to apease her chubby boyfriend and decided what she had on was good enough. By the looks of her she could stand to go to the gym more frequently then she was, however often that is.

Okay, I think I am done now... :mrgreen:

Sombeech
08-11-2005, 02:47 PM
True. But the good thing is, if they do drop a weight on their toe, they won't be back!

My pet peeve is someone who doesn't wipe their sweat off of the machine after use.

Also, I think it's hilarious when the bodybuilders grunt extra loud with their lifting buddies.
I can't help the strenuous faces I make when I'm doing curls, but I keep the loud painful noises to myself.

accadacca
08-12-2005, 06:32 AM
I noticed this girl walking around one of the machines getting ready to do the chest press and she was wearing cutoffs and FLIP FLOPS!!! :frustrated:
I am sure that most guys in the gym didn't mind. :slobber1: :lol8:

No really.....I am sure you get that from time to time in the gym. You get some real characters in there. As for the grunting that Sombeech mentioned. Hilarious...... :roflol: It would be funny to screw with people and start making obscene noises. I could see that one on some hidden camera show. :haha: It is good that uutah is here to let you vent.
Just remember we are always available for group therapy and sometimes you just need to talk. :blahblah: :five:

rockgremlin
08-12-2005, 07:43 AM
I think it's ironic that steel-toes boots are MANDATORY while here on Kennecott property, and there is like a 0% chance of something falling on my toes at any given time. But at the gym, you may wear flip-flops if you want, and the risk of weights falling on your toes is actually pretty high (well, at least MUCH, MUCH higher than the risk out here at Kennecott).

Same argument for hard hats. If you're on Kennecott property, hard hats are mandatory - even if you're standing out in the middle of nowhere with nothing around you, and nothing overhead.

Baa! Baa! Baaaa! I'm a sheep! Tell me what I need to do to be safe! I can't think for myself! Baaaa! Baaaa! Baaaa!

Anyways, back to the topic at hand... :lol8:

My gym pet peeve's are people that are slap-happy with the weights. At every rep they let the weight fall back onto the stack, making a terribly loud CLANG! It doesn't seem to bother them in the least even when the entire gym is frowning at them. :roll:

Sombeech
08-12-2005, 07:57 AM
I think it's ironic that steel-toes boots are MANDATORY while here on Kennecott property, and there is like a 0% chance of something falling on my toes at any given time.
I learned something interesting about steel toed shoes (not to hijack the thread). I found that they design steel toes NOT TO PROTECT, but if something heavy lands on your foot, it's designed to shear the toes off clean!
Sure they'll protect from little bumps and items falling on them, but if something heavy comes down, you'll have a clean cut foot.

(now back to the subject)

At every rep they let the weight fall back onto the stack, making a terribly loud CLANG!

I know, it's like "look at me!". Or sometimes they're even MAD at the weights! :frustrated: RRRHH! I hate these weights! I shall punish them.

I'm going to purposely lift the dumbells up, and drop them on the mat from 4 feet in the air.

Wasatch Rebel
08-12-2005, 09:06 AM
I dislike it when a guy has like four stations set up--like bench press, a bench with dumbells lying next to it, the cables, etc., all with his own personal weight settings. Then if you happen to use one of them when he wants to come back and use it (he's been working on the bench and wants to use the cables for example), he gets mad. However, I'm kinda mean looking and muscular, so they rarely say anything to me. :haha:

Sombeech
08-12-2005, 09:14 AM
Oh, I know. Like the guy who's in his routine, but 4 stations are on his "route".

They'll do 5 reps on one, race to the next to do 5 more, so they're covering about 30 feet in 3 minutes.

Everybody knows a new "method" to workout. It always starts with "this guy in Nebraska discovered the best way to lift. He says if you just look at the weights, imagine how hard it would be to lift them, and then you actually break a sweat."

Straight off an infomercial.

Superriffic S*
08-12-2005, 09:48 AM
The other thing that I HATE is when you go to a machine, say the leg press and some BIG guy just finished using it... there are about eight 45 pound plates on either side of the machine and he just WALKS away!!! Oh, don't worry about me, the GIRL, I'll take all of your unnecissary weights OFF the machine that YOU just finished using and RE-RACK them FOR you! No Problem!!! :frustrated:

The other thing I can't stand are these girls that wear about 4 bottles of perfume when they work out... what, do they think that it will somehow mask the possible B.O. that they could put off. Personally, I think both smells are nausiating, but might prefer the B.O. to the overwhelmingly strong smell of j. lo perfume! :frustrated:

I found this link to "Iron Rules" Gym Do's and Don'ts... but, mostly don'ts. This is an article that was in Muscle and Fitness about 4 or 5 years ago... the guy HITS it on the nose!!! It is a pretty humorous article... read it and enjoy! :blahblah:

http://davedraper.com/mag-iron-rules.html

Sombeech
08-12-2005, 10:31 AM
That's a good article.

I think they leave the weights on so they can brag to the next user how much they were lifting.

And when they make you re rack them, they justify it as having you share their pain.

DickHead
08-12-2005, 12:28 PM
Lots of reasons why I hate the gym.