PDA

View Full Version : KTM vs. BMW

accadacca
08-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Since we now have a resident BM double moo rider on here. I would like to compare the KTM 640 LC4 ADV. and the BMW F 650 GS Dakar. Someday I would like to own one of them. I would like something a little more road worthy than what I have. I would like to be able to go long distances on the road in comfort. I am thinking that the beemer might be a better choice. I mean the Adv. is just like what I have except for the fairing, tank, and some other stuff. You can have a better seat made for the KTM. But the beemer seat looks more inviting and the ergonomics look better for comfort. I would think the KTM is little better in the dirt.

What about the motor? I have heard that the KTM LC4 motor is rated for 150,000 miles. What about the BMW motor? What about parts? Having a KTM can be difficult to locate parts at times. You can get them but sometimes you have to wait, especially for specialty parts. How is it for the BMW? Who are the local dealers? The SLC KTM dealer (cycle shop) got closed down. :wallbash: Ok that is enough to get this thing going.....

double moo
08-11-2005, 02:19 PM
Both have their ups and downs. I have the 1100gs which is bigger and heavier -so not one to have if you prefer the dirt. The Dakar is a really nice bike - as you pointed out I believe it is more road worthy but less capable in the dirt. Both have great aftermarket support but limited dealerships for parts and technicians. Both motors should go long for you. For the cost of the Dakar you could get a nice used roadbike and a 400cc dirtbike. Honda makes a Transalp - a 650cc dual sport that it a bit more on the road side... but they don't sell them in the states... in fact there are many dual sport bikes that look good as well as come highly recommended - that are not sold int he US (yamaha XTZ, honda Africa Twin, Honda Veradero, Kawasaki KLE, Suzuki DR Big-850 drz, .

As with any comparo I think it boils down to personal prefference... the ergos of the bike, the usage you intend, riding style, etc...

They claim the most widely used worldwide touring bike is the KLR 650. Basic 25 year old technology, easy to work on, parts and support everywhere, etc... There are better bikes in every category... but does a "do it all" bike strike your fancy.

accadacca
08-12-2005, 06:55 AM
Yeah I have been drooling over the dakar lately. :slobber1: It looks like a blast! But yes damn expensive...... :frustrated:

I like the idea of a do it all bike. But there really is no such thing. You just cant have a lighter more nimble machine that will appease you on the road. That is pretty close to what I have. Getting another horse in the stable could be the answer? I dont think I want a street warrior though. I would like to keep my KTM for the more dirt side of dual sporting. I want something that can handle dirt roads and is much better on the street. I am not sure if that is the dakar? It might be too close to the what I have? :ne_nau: I would like to ride one at some point. I think it could handle 80% of what I ride.

Now the KTM LC4 motor is known to be quite the paint shaker and some guys complain about their hands falling asleep. My bike has been ok and I have heard that they smooth out with more miles. I would assume that the BMW is a smooth machine. I know that your motor is quite a bit different than the 750 but what do you think? Does it feel more like a honda power plant or an old husky?

The devil keeps telling me to put the picture of the dakar on my desktop background. :twisted:
............must fight it off, shake it off...... :chairshot: :lol8:

accadacca
08-12-2005, 07:34 AM
Huh? Another thing that I just noticed. The dakar in the picture that I have been drooling over looks to have the white power USD forks that are on the KTM. (excellent setup BTW) I was looking at dakar's on ebay and none have that fork. They have the BMW teleleaver susp 8.3" travel front & rear 8.7". It must have been an upgrade to the the WP for this guy. To compare: The KTM Adv. comes standard with the WP susp 10.83" front and 10.24" rear. Hmmm....

This looks like a good deal at the moment: ebay linky
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-BMW-F650-Dakar-Very-Low-Miles_W0QQitemZ4567306467QQcategoryZ49975QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

double moo
08-12-2005, 09:09 PM
My big pig engine isn't all that smooth. They do a brilliant job of dampening it so you don't feel it in the seat and bars too much... but what do you expect from an 1000cc twin. It will never be as smooth nor as responsive as an inline 4.

There are a lot of great all round bikes out here that are both fun and comfortable. Problem is... if you're gonna hit the pavement the testosterone kicks in and you feel the need to be fast... hence all of the squid machines you see. Downside - you're hammered after too long in the saddle. We did a 350 mile day with a squid in tow - before we stopped for lunch he was shot... shoulders, neck, back.

On the GS I have racked up close to 600 miles in a day - and I'm considered a lightweight for that. It's nice to have a machine that I can ride for 10 hours and not feel beat up... then do it again tomorrow. I think the old man would enjoy it if he'd just try it!

Look up the new BMW 1200 HP2. There's a bike for you! if you can talk the wife into $22k....

Joe Gardner
12-13-2005, 10:12 PM
I test rode both, went with the Dakar. It felt more stable on the roads, and my ass didnt hurt after 200 miles. I also believe it to be a more reliable bike and something I would trust 400 miles from nowhere. With 120 lbs of gear on the bike, I still get 55mpg at 70mph.