PDA

View Full Version : No More 'Runnin Utes'

rockgremlin
08-09-2005, 09:33 AM
We've all heard the latest news. If you haven't, pull your head out of the sand and read this:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=76153&nid=148

What are your thoughts? Personally, I think it's :lame:

Long live the :utes3: :utes3: :utes3:

accadacca
08-09-2005, 09:51 AM
What a bunch of :bs: I have been listening to the sports talk stations lately on this. It makes no sense. Florida State has already talked about taking this to court. I cant see this thing going far, but stranger things have happened. This is coming from the headquarters of the NCAA in INDIANAPOLIS. Lets see, how about we take the APOLIS off of INDIANAPOLIS, what do we have INDIAN. :roll: I think that like 47 of the states have Indian type names in the state name. Should we just change all the names!!!! :frustrated: Who are the people that come up with this stuff??? Ridiculous!!!! pissed: Who would have heard about these tribes if they were not affiliated with the team names? Is it not just celebrating their history and keeping it alive? :ne_nau:

ESPN article: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2125735

rockgremlin
08-09-2005, 10:19 AM
I think it comes down to $$$. Apparently, the pro teams are untouchable because they have so much money that noone dares challenge their team names. That's why the Redskins (which is much more derogatory than Utes) will never be changed to anything else. :roll:

troutfisher
08-09-2005, 11:46 AM
I think it is total B.S. Why change a name just because one person finds it to be offensive? If I am not mistaken, the leader of the UTE tribe here in Utah doesn't have any problems with the name. Correct me if I am wrong. :utes: Hopefully they won't submit to corporate b.s.
Go UTES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sombeech
08-09-2005, 12:34 PM
I remember a time when Democracy meant "majority rule".

Is this the end of democracy? This is only one topic among thousands today.

I remember when people could vote on such topics, and the majority would win.

I remember the time when you could let an employee go, because they were a terrible employee.

I remember my butt being spanked when I talked back to my parents.

Looks like Utah will be changing it's name back to "Deseret".

rockgremlin
08-09-2005, 01:59 PM
Well, we don't live in a Democracy. We live in a Republic. A Republic is one where the majority is ruled not by the people, but by elected representatives who are chosen by the people. Unfortunately, the majority doesn't show up to the polls to vote, and we end up with elected representatives that speak for the minority that DO show up to vote at the polls. It's a perfect system that works quite well -- IF everyone participates. If not, you end up with crappy rules that don't really apply to everyone (like our current system).

There's your social studies lesson for the day. :bueller:

Sombeech
08-09-2005, 02:10 PM
That's true, technically we don't have a democracy. It's a representative republic. I found that interesting when I was educated on that a while ago.

I guess we can't say we have a majority rule if the majority doesn't voice their opinions. We take it for granted that everything will go our way, 'cause our family and friends will vote for us.

crazy horse
08-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Thats freaking retarded. People that find this sort of thing "offensive" really need to just get over themselves and realize that the world doesn't revolve around them. I mean seriously now, the Ute tribe supports the U's use of the mascot and nickname, so what is the problem here. Some people are seriously retarded.

Sombeech
08-09-2005, 09:29 PM
I would think the University mascot of a Ute would be honoring the Utes.

Why would a university pick a mascot they didn't admire? Why would you dedicate your university to something that is looked down upon?

People need to understand that saying "Ute" is not discriminatory.

The same people get offended when you say "black" person. But I have never been offended being called white.

Saying "mexican", or "mormon", or "midget" does not need to preceed an apology. It's what people are.

Just like when "secretary" started to become degrading. Now it's "office administrator". Give it 5 years, and office administrator will be degrading as well.

derstuka
08-10-2005, 07:42 AM
Well, since everybody else is getting offended these days....being mostly Irish, I am greatly offended at Notre Dame's "Fighting Irish" slogan. Is that to insinuate that because I am Irish I am of a violent nature? What about all the jokes on St. Patrick's Day about the Irish and drinking...hey, that offends me too because it labels me as a no-good worthless drunk...and I only fit that description on Friday nights! :roflol:

I think that we should just pick random numbers for teams, and drop all the names. That way nobody would be offended, oh wait, no they would, because if somebody's team was given a #1, and they were #5, that would be discriminatory....maybe "home team" versus "other team" (vistor would be discrimatory as well), or "them" versus "us"???

Sombeech
08-10-2005, 07:47 AM
Good one.

You know they'll never touch the Fightin' Irish. That could cause another Civil War.

For big names like that, we can always count on $$$ to keep things in line.

derstuka
08-10-2005, 07:57 AM
Good one.

You know they'll never touch the Fightin' Irish. That could cause another Civil War.

For big names like that, we can always count on $$$ to keep things in line.

Oh I know, I was just trying to use sarcasm to make a point it somebody is gonna get offended about something like mentioned above, then maybe everything is offensive.

Hell, people in Afghanistan & many other countries, can burn our American flags by the dozen whenever they feel the need (which offends me, the flag being sacred to me) but heaven forbid there is a rumor that somebody mishandled the Koran and there are riots, and looting all over. All somebody needs to do to become a prophet is an AK-47, a burning US flag, and shout "death to America." Ok, I think I am opening up a very LARGE can of worms here.

accadacca
08-10-2005, 08:11 AM
You know I wondered about SDSU (San Diego State U)? They didn't make the immediate list for the ban. The Aztec's is the name........then I heard that since the Aztec's are extinct it didn't matter? That makes NO sense. These yahoo's that come up with this stuff have no merit. Ridiculous!!!! :frustrated:

Sombeech
08-10-2005, 08:27 AM
Somebody can paint a picture of the bible in a jar of urine, and call it free speech. We can't do anything about that.

But choose to honor a native american as a mascot? no way. we can't have that.

derstuka
08-10-2005, 08:27 AM
You know I wondered about SDSU (San Diego State U)? They didn't make the immediate list for the ban. The Aztec's is the name........then I heard that since the Aztec's are extinct it didn't matter? That makes NO sense. These yahoo's that come up with this stuff have no merit. Ridiculous!!!! :frustrated:

Well, historically speaking, the Aztecs were crazy cannibalistic murders, who slaughtered thousands of people just because they thought it would appease their god(s). The other natives actually liked the Spanish Conquistadors much better than the Aztecs, because mainly, they were as brutish, and wouldn't eat you, or sacrafice you.

SDSU pretty much neutered their Aztec mascot "Monty Montezuma" a few years ago over Native American protestors. Well, Monty disappeared, then reappeared as a very toned down version a couple of years later after a vote by student alumni. As far as the "Aztec" name, I haven't heard anymore about changing it.

Yes, most these people are a bunch of yahoos. :bootyshake:

Wasatch Rebel
08-10-2005, 05:13 PM
Actually Utah's mascot was changed from a Ute Indian to a hawk a few years back. They kept the name Utes though, and from all I hear, the tribe is fine with that. It gives them some recognition--and with the kind of seasons the football team has been having recently--a lot of good pub.
The biggest problem is that the NCAA is doing exactly what they're accusing these schools of doing--belittling the Native American tribes. And how are they doing this? By not letting the tribes themselves decide what's offensive and what isn't. It's almost as if the NCAA politically correct do-gooders don't believe the Native tribes have the ability to decide for themselves what offends them and what doesn't.
The bottom line is that these things should be decided on a case by case basis, and not a blanket ignorant statement that merely using a tribe's name is offensive.

Shane

rockgremlin
08-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Actually Utah's mascot was changed from a Ute Indian to a hawk a few years back. They kept the name Utes though, and from all I hear, the tribe is fine with that. It gives them some recognition--and with the kind of seasons the football team has been having recently--a lot of good pub.
The biggest problem is that the NCAA is doing exactly what they're accusing these schools of doing--belittling the Native American tribes. And how are they doing this? By not letting the tribes themselves decide what's offensive and what isn't. It's almost as if the NCAA politically correct do-gooders don't believe the Native tribes have the ability to decide for themselves what offends them and what doesn't.
The bottom line is that these things should be decided on a case by case basis, and not a blanket ignorant statement that merely using a tribe's name is offensive.

Well said!!

double moo
08-10-2005, 07:29 PM
I hail from the Yahutsu tribe and take offense to your beligerent use of the term Yahoo... which all us Yahutsis consider akin to the "n" word.

accadacca
09-06-2005, 09:57 PM
If you have not heard. They dropped Florida State, Utah and Central Michigan from the list. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2149907
We can stay the Utes!!! :utes5: :five: