PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Biking Safety!!! Learn From this guys mistake.

bstep
08-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Should have gone with his intuition.

eddy1911
08-08-2005, 09:36 PM
Sometimes its just not worth the injury that can result from trying to be macho man. There isn't anything wrong with "walking today to ride tomorrow".

Eddy

accadacca
08-09-2005, 09:36 AM
:scared: :eek2: :stupid:

Another case of the Darwin awards. Hard to see very well with the grainy video. I guess you can see enough though. Looks like a long tumble down. Definitely not worth the risk!!! :nono:

rockgremlin
08-09-2005, 05:20 PM
This validates my argument against clip-ins. If his feet were free, he could've just bailed off.

Sombeech
08-09-2005, 09:33 PM
This validates my argument against clip-ins. If his feet were free, he could've just bailed off.

True, but I always just unclip around stuff like that. Heck, I might have done the whole trail unclipped the first time, until I got to know it better.

I like clip ins, but I also like it where you have the option to unclip, and still have a big enough pedal to push on.

DickHead
08-10-2005, 07:33 AM

I don't agree. With clipless pedals, you can (and should) set the tension nice and loose, allowing you to bail easily. Also, you can unclip and just put the weight on the pedal. What it is a good argument for is clipless pedals that have a platform.
http://www.performancebike.com/product_images/400/50_2161.jpg

derstuka
08-10-2005, 07:45 AM

True, but I always just unclip around stuff like that. Heck, I might have done the whole trail unclipped the first time, until I got to know it better.

I like clip ins, but I also like it where you have the option to unclip, and still have a big enough pedal to push on.

I don't know if I agree with you that he was clipped in. It doesn't look to me like he is. Obviously, he should have walked, but in attempting it, he went high, and stalled, which then caused him to be off balance on the off camber rock and tumble down. I agree with the someone else's comment, walk today, live to ride another day, or something the like.

accadacca
08-10-2005, 08:22 AM
Yeah I don't think he was clipped in either. Wouldn't the bike have stopped him or gone down the hill too?? I use the time atac pedals and I have them adjusted as loose as they will go. I think? Getting out is second nature now...... :cool2:

DaveOU812
08-10-2005, 09:29 AM
I don't think he was clipped in either. It just doesn't look like it in the video. My only problem is with the guys stupidity, which I think has already shown it's validity. Your hear someone earlier in the clip say, "Your not gonna try it?" and the other guy goes, "Look at the price for failure."

I'd like to know what happened to the guy though.

derstuka
08-10-2005, 09:32 AM

Well, at the very least, if he was EXTREMELY lucky, he only had to pull a cactus out of his ass, and the rest of his body! :lol8:

If he didn't break a bone, I hope that he went and bought a lottery ticket later that day!

Udink
08-10-2005, 09:33 AM
For as bad as the video looks, he came out relatively unscathed. Lots of big gashes and bruises, a broken pinky finger, and a couple of sprains. Here are some more pictures and info. (http://www.mountainbikebill.com/MilesCrash.htm)

DaveOU812
08-10-2005, 09:38 AM
Wow. That is wild. Lucky dude.

DickHead
08-10-2005, 10:54 AM
http://www.mountainbikebill.com/images/Trails/CarrizoGorge/CarrizoGorge-1JAN04-Eric-53.JPG

Love the wifebeater....
:2thumbs:

derstuka
08-10-2005, 08:45 PM
The peroxide/disinfectant must have felt WONDERFUL on all those cuts & scrapes! Lucky fella!