PDA

View Full Version : Ack! Blisters!

Shan
08-01-2005, 04:11 PM
I think I must have some deformed heels. I think every shoe I've ever hiked in gives me quarter sized blisters in a matter of 30 minutes. This goes for xc skiing also.

I've tried duct tapeing my entire heel/arch, bandaides, NuSkin paint on liquid bandages, 2 layers of socks (one being polypropelene), wool socks, cycling socks, shoe inserts expensive and cheap.

What the hell? I will sweat the NuSkin and duct tape off in 1 hour. No product of anykind stays put, even stuff my husband swears works for him when he plays hockey.

Someone suggested I fill my Vasque boots with hot water, let them soak, pour the water out, then walk around in them for day. I think this is the only thing I've never tried, and don't really want to!

rockgremlin
08-01-2005, 05:45 PM
Someone suggested I fill my Vasque boots with hot water, let them soak, then walk around in them for day. I think this is the only thing I've never tried.

Well that's a weird idea. Let us know if it works!

icthys
08-02-2005, 05:59 AM
The last two seasons I had problems with blisters when I never had before. I was trying everything also but nothing seemed to work.

Since last year I've lost over 30 lbs and whalla! no more blisters. I'm not implying you are over weight. I think the reason I was getting blisters was because I was walking a little different while I was 30 lbs heavier. It may just be you walk a certain way which casues blisters. I have no idea how to suggest you change the way you walk.

I know how frustrating it is. Keeping trying to figure it out, sooner or later you'll get it.

derstuka
08-02-2005, 06:55 AM
Shan:

Do you ever have problems blistering in regular running (tennis shoes)? Also, do you happen to know if you pronate(foot rotates in), over-pronate, or supinate(foot rotates out-away from your body)? Easy way to tell is if you can easily make a quarter disappeared under your arch (while you are barefoot) you supinate (high-arches) if you can make a nickel or dime disappear, but not a quarter, you most likely pronate, (med-high arches) AND if you can't fit a darn thing hardly under your arch, you are flat-footed probably and over-pronate (low arches). When I run, I have to have the proper shoes otherwise my feet, knees and legs will get more punishment. I supinate, so I need shoes that cushion my feet since I only run on the outer portion. Makes a big difference in running for me. Some people are just more prone to blistering as well. If the duct tape didn't work, and you say that every shoe that you have ever hiked in gives you blisters, I don't know what to say I guess. As you know, it takes awhile for a new shoe to break in. At first they are very stiff, and need to be broken in. During the break-in period blisters are much more common.

One more thing, do your feet sweat a lot? Do you use foot powder when you hike? I know that if a shoe doesn't have the proper ventilation that my feet will sweat more, and I will develop more blisters. I always use foot powder on long hikes (as I did in the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, amoung other places) and at a break-stop, I take off my shoes, let my dogs (feet) air out, and I reapply the powder, as well as taping up areas known to be venerable to blistering. I know that I do get more blisters with my hiking boots, and that is why I sometimes just hike in an outdoor running shoes, because they ventilate better, and just seem to work better for me...as long as you are not carrying a 60lb pack that is.

Some people say to rub your feet with rubbing alcohol, or walking barefoot more often before they hike helps them out, I don't know if it works, but it may toughen the feet of some. :ne_nau:

I don't know if any of this bears relevance for you, but I figured that I would just throw it out there for the heck of it. Oh, and if you already knew all of this, I guess I just doubled your information then! :haha:

Shan
08-02-2005, 08:35 AM
Tennis shoes don't usually give me blisters. But I don't hike in tennis shoes, well not any more, because they don't seem to have a strong enough sole, leaving my feet cramping and achy.

I was told by an ortho that my feet roll inward when I walk. He suggested custom made insoles (around $200), because I was also having knee and hip problems. I have Triad insoles now, from Kmart ($7). I bought semi custom insoles you bake in the oven then stand on. But they didn't work for all my shoes so I kept with the Triad ones which seem to help alot.

The low top shoes I usually hike in are very worn in. I wore them for a long time. I still get blisters in these, but they usually aren't as crippling as when I wear my Vasque Sundowners. I've had these for 6 years and wear them in the winter alot, they are fine for flat surfaces.

I don't think I have unusually sweaty feet, rather I don't think it's an everyday problem for me. But hiking they do get sweaty. Not like sock wringing wet or anything. Perhaps the foot powder will at least keep the duct tape on there longer?

derstuka
08-02-2005, 08:49 AM
Maybe having improper shoe support for your condition is aggravating your blister condition, along with the other issues you mentioned. Improper shoes would mess up my right knee after running, but ever since I changed shoes, I never have had a problem. I don't know, I'm just throwing some stuff out there that might be a factor, and may help you out.

Yes, hopefully the powder will keep the duct tape on longer. You don't have to be a sweating monster for it to give you blisters. All I know, is that keeping your feet dry on long hikes is very important. Sweating/wet feet slip and create more friction, which in turns gives you more blisters. I am not saying foot-powder is a cure all, but it helps me out. I have drier feet, and get less blisters. Try airing your feet out at break-stops, reapplying the powder, and see what happens. Be sure not to apply too much or your feet could slip more.

Maybe you could try hiking in outdoor hiking shoes, as opposed to boots. Maybe this would be worth a shot. Like I may have stated before...some feet are just more prone to blistering, but you should be at least able to limit, or control it moreso.

accadacca
08-02-2005, 09:22 AM
Yeah blisters suck!! I just got some when I hiked Olympus. I got a silver dollar on the bottom of my heal. Luckily I don't normally get them. I think that the hiking boots that I was wearing are on the way out the door. Also I think that they were to loose. I cinch my boots up when I go hiking. I think that helps avoid blisters and makes your foot have to do less work (in a way). In the end it will be less achy as well.

TreeHugger
08-05-2005, 06:53 AM
Where are you getting the blisters, exactly? And the duct tape doesnt work? I've found duct tape to be my savior!! I used to do JROTC summer camp with the high school I taught at. These kids (and I) had to wear combat boots all day, marching and walking and all that. I have never seen such horrible blisters in all of my life. I became the "blister lady" and I treated all these blisters with duct tape. For prevention: duct tape where the hot spots generally occured. With these boots, it was usually the upper part of the heel, think achilles tendon area. We put a strip of tape across there, and no blister would form. For the blisters that did form, I used a sterilized needle, popped it, if necessary, applied anit-bac cream and put a small bandaid on it, then, duct tape over top of this. The tape held in place through the entire day.

The other suggestion I would make is to try different socks. You probably thought of that already. But, I found some socks, made by Wright Socks, for running, they are awesome. Specifically made for blister protection. They are double layered, so the inside layer stays across your foot and the outside layer moves with the shoe, causing the rubbing to occur between the sock layers and not the sock and your skin. The only thing about that is I haven't seen winter weight socks by them (I havent looked though, either).

Good luck!! Blisters suck!!