PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Poll

derstuka
07-29-2005, 02:49 PM
I just had my friend (who builds wheels) build me a new wheelset with mavic 321's and xt disc hubs. What kind do you have? Machine built, or hand built? I also prefer stainless steel "non-coated/painted" spokes over coated/painted spokes. They are much stronger. I broke my black spokes every once in awhile. Must be from the tempering process.

Fuzzy TheBikeGuy
08-01-2005, 05:21 PM
One reason your spokes started poppin' is becauce machines tweek and stress those poor spokes in the building (but a wheel machins is AMAZING to watch work). :blahblah: Hand-Builts are stroked and loved-up in the lacing, and the spokes are the better for it. :haha:

A lot of bike guys build wheels, but wheel-building is an ART, and some bike guys just never develop the touch. There's a sense of flow and fluidity to lacing, and you'll know if it's there by watching the builder. Beware the wheel-builder who's stressed or rushing the lace. ESPECIALLY on disk-brake wheels. :nono:

derstuka
08-01-2005, 06:50 PM
One reason your spokes started poppin' is becauce machines tweek and stress those poor spokes in the building (but a wheel machins is AMAZING to watch work). :blahblah: Hand-Builts are stroked and loved-up in the lacing, and the spokes are the better for it. :haha:

A lot of bike guys build wheels, but wheel-building is an ART, and some bike guys just never develop the touch. There's a sense of flow and fluidity to lacing, and you'll know if it's there by watching the builder. Beware the wheel-builder who's stressed or rushing the lace. ESPECIALLY on disk-brake wheels. :nono:

I understand that it does have to do with the builder, however, I know two bike shop owners (one of them has been building wheels for 15 years), and my close friend all who build wheels with lots of experience, and they all come to the same conculsion about the black spokes based upon experience of working on them, not just because they want to hear themselves speak. This, coupled with my own personal experience gives me the same conculsion as them. The tempering process to bake the paint on must weaken them somewhat, because I never (or am more unlikely to) break non-coated stainless spokes. The wheel that I was having broken spokes on was a hand-built wheel, and it would break probably about 2 spokes a year, however I also do some jumping, and quite a bit of riding on rocks. Whenever I would break a black painted spoke, I would have it replaced with a stainless and I never had a problem. If someone rides more gently or not too aggressive, they may never experience a problem, or are just not as likely to experience one.

BTW, I have never see a machine that builds wheels, I can imagine it must be cool to watch.

Fuzzy TheBikeGuy
08-02-2005, 08:01 AM
:2thumbs: Right-On.

If One of the shop owners is Mikey @ Canyon, tell 'im I said hi.

I once had a case of popping heads with some black D.T. 15g strait-guage spokes, but like you I get off the ground occasionally, and I weigh about 220. Never had it happen on 14g DTs or wheelsmiths.

Are you coming down on 20/August for the Arts Fest Ride? You'll be glad if you do. :rockit:

derstuka
08-02-2005, 08:12 AM
Canyon bicycles in San Diego? I can't say I have been there, but it does sound familar. I was talking about Bernies Bikes, and the Bike Smith.

Where is the Artsfest ride, SLC area? SLC is quite a hike for me. I just drove to Moab in May and it was 800 miles one way. Whew! Some friends and I were probably going to hit Bootleg Canyon, and/or St George in Oct. if all goes well.

derstuka
08-02-2005, 08:14 AM
Whoops, I just noticed your thread about the Arts Fest in Price. Disregard my silly question... :ne_nau: