PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report TR-- Green Valley Loop

Sombeech
07-28-2005, 03:16 PM
I've done this ride maybe 8 times, and there's no "official" trip report thread on this trail, so here goes...

Also called the Bear Claw Poppy trail, the Green Valley Loop is a fast, fun, roller coaster ride. Be sure to keep off of your seat, as many riders have been "bucked" off of their bikes on the little "woo-hoos".

Based down in St. George, UT, this is one of those "easier" trails to hit after you've accomplished some bigger ones like Gooseberry Mesa.

Directions: The trailhead/main "parking" lot is near the Green Valley Spa, which sits on top of a hill in Green Valley. To get to the trailhead:

Take exit 6 from I-15, going north or south. Head north towards the McDonalds, and then turn left on Hilton Drive. Follow Hilton Drive, as it quickly turns left again, and drives through the golf course.

Follow Hilton Drive right, as it turns into Dixie Drive, and at Canyon View Drive, turn left up the hill. Follow the road around, and you will see the dirt parking lot through the stop sign.

I've attached a crude interpretation of a map below so you can see what i mean.

I will have more directions of the ride attached to each picture below.

Sombeech
07-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Nevermind the "helmet cam", but from this photo, you can see the parking lot, and it's about 100 yards past the Green Valley Spa.

http://uutah.com/forum/files/helmet_cam.jpg

Another helmet cam shot, but in the background, you can see the gorge, and the dirt road on the RIGHT of it. You will take this road up. Halfway, you'll come to a gate. Walk around it, and continue up the road. At the top, which will make for about a 1/2 mile ride, you will see the start of the single track.

http://uutah.com/forum/files/helmet_cam__1_.jpg

Shan
07-28-2005, 03:44 PM
I think I've done this area before the week before Christmas. I remember the GV Spa. It was thick with that mud that was hard to wash off.

Sombeech
07-28-2005, 03:44 PM
The whole loop, as I remember, is around 13 miles. The last 5 or six are on pavement though, as you circle back to your vehicle.

A popular method is to shuttle, leaving one car at the bottom of the single track. This makes for mostly down hill ride.

But, if you do not have 2 vehicles, do not worry. The complete loop takes about 1-1/2 hours, and this is stopping for pictures.

Once you come off of the singletrack, you will ride through some nice neighborhoods. You will be circling back to the left, as you ride through these suburban roads. Seeing your way back to the trailhead is fairly familiar, as most of it you would have driven up already.

Sombeech
07-28-2005, 03:45 PM
I think I've done this area before the week before Christmas. I remember the GV Spa. It was thick with that mud that was hard to wash off.

Was the trail wet?

eddy1911
07-29-2005, 10:36 AM
I'll be doing this trail and Gooseberry Mesa next week. I'm very excited.

Eddy

Sombeech
07-29-2005, 11:42 AM
I'll be doing this trail and Gooseberry Mesa next week. I'm very excited.

Eddy

Luckeee! Sounds like fun. Just be sure not to start 'em too late, with the heat and all.

Take some snapshots and post them here!

BTW, is this your first time on the trails?

eddy1911
07-29-2005, 04:56 PM
We are going to be very aware of the heat. In fact, my wife and I are planning on starting these trails at 6 am to make sure we are done before it gets too hot.

This is our first time mountain biking in the St. George area. We have really been looking forward to doing these two trails. I'm curious to see if Clavicle Hill is as bad as described. I may go down it or possibly choose an alternate path.

Eddy

Sombeech
08-01-2005, 08:58 AM
I'm curious to see if Clavicle Hill is as bad as described. I may go down it or possibly choose an alternate path.

If clavicle hill is what I think it is, (picture below) then I would suggest taking it. All of these drop offs look VERY intimidating, but you just have to go straight down them.

They remind me of dropping down a skate board half pipe. It's vertical at the top, but you always curve out at the bottom.

Be sure to snap some good shots, especially of clavical hill, so we know which one it is.

Clavical hill? I'm not sure.

http://uutah.com/forum/files/gvl_justin1_153.jpg

nefarious
02-04-2007, 11:19 PM
The whole loop, as I remember, is around 13 miles. The last 5 or six are on pavement though, as you circle back to your vehicle.

A popular method is to shuttle, leaving one car at the bottom of the single track. This makes for mostly down hill ride.
I would strongly suggest trying to ride this trail as a cherry stem if a shuttle isn't available (or wanted). It isn't nearly as difficult as it looks to ride it from Navajo Drive to the trailhead @ the Fingers of Death. Anyone in somewhat decent shape should be able to enjoy the trail both ways, and riding the cherry stem saves time (only 8 1/2 miles).

Sombeech
02-05-2007, 10:04 AM
I would strongly suggest trying to ride this trail as a cherry stem if a shuttle isn't available (or wanted). It isn't nearly as difficult as it looks to ride it from Navajo Drive to the trailhead @ the Fingers of Death. Anyone in somewhat decent shape should be able to enjoy the trail both ways, and riding the cherry stem saves time (only 8 1/2 miles).

What do you mean as a cherry stem?

nefarious
02-05-2007, 12:19 PM
I mean as an out-and-back trail, as opposed to a loop route. I think the Bearclaw Poppy Trail is fun to ride in both directions and I suspect most people would agree if they tried riding it that way. Sorry if my terminology is wrong.

Sombeech
02-05-2007, 12:21 PM
I mean as an out-and-back trail, as opposed to a loop route. I think the Bearclaw Poppy Trail is fun to ride in both directions and I suspect most people would agree if they tried riding it that way. Sorry if my terminology is wrong.

Hmm, I've never tried to ride up it. I thought it looked like a pain, but it's worth a try.

We'll probably hit it this weekend, it's always a quick favorite.

shagster
02-05-2007, 01:30 PM

Hmm, I've never tried to ride up it. I thought it looked like a pain, but it's worth a try.

We'll probably hit it this weekend, it's always a quick favorite.

Rode up it last summer in the noon heat. It kicked my butt, it was also over 100 degress outside. I think it is fun both ways (that does not mean I swing both ways). :nod:

chromehead58
02-06-2007, 10:09 AM
great trail...as for doing as an out and back..or just starting fron navajo drive, i have done it both ways, not that bad, i have also ridden the rode back...a lot worse than riding the trail...heading down that way in a couple of weeks and always use this as my warm-up ride...fun ride...great pics

mroy
02-06-2007, 09:31 PM
I wanted to do the whole thing last time I was down there for riding, but it got too late - it was in November, early sunset. I made it out there just to check it out about an hour before it was dark, and had a hell of a time finding the TH. After I finally rode up that dirt road in the 2nd pic and saw the parking lot, I knew I was finally in the right spot, didn't go down too far, just down the lions paw, or 3 fingers of death, whatever you call it, and then came back. I needed a vacation to recover from the vacation I rode so much. So much good riding in the area :nod:

Sombeech
02-06-2007, 09:35 PM
To be honest, I didn't think this thread would be discovered again. :lol8: It's pretty old. But, I'll do a little editing, so you can have a few more pictures, along with the updated video.

The thread is currently in the spotlight, so I don't want any newcomers to see the "old" videos we took, and think we suck. :haha: