PDA

View Full Version : Brake setup

derstuka
07-25-2005, 02:17 PM
I personally used Avid mechanical disc front and rear...and I love them!

live2ride
07-25-2005, 02:20 PM
I am using Hydraulic Disc, I have mixed feelings with them. Stopping power is awesome on disk but yet they can be touchy. I have XT disk brakes

derstuka
07-25-2005, 02:22 PM
How long have you had them? I think that hydraulic disk have awesome stopping power, yet I don't like the fact that you cannot adjust most systems on the trail, or hardly at all if a disc gets a little warped/bent.

live2ride
07-25-2005, 02:30 PM
I have had them for almost 1 year, I love them and haven't had many problems with them; however, my rear hydraulic piston is not completely reset so I have to take my brake apart and push it back in, I heard that the Jucy's do that alot. It doesn't affect my riding but just bugs me.

derstuka
07-25-2005, 02:39 PM
If your rear is not resetting, maybe the piston has gotten gunked with mudd and grime, and needs a thorough cleaning.

Soooo, where did you go in SD when you were here?

live2ride
07-25-2005, 02:45 PM
Yeah it may need a cleaning and I actually talked to a few of my buddies at a bike shop and they said it is quite common for that to happen unfortunately. When I was in SD I went all over, even made my way down to Yuma, Calexico, and of course Hooters. I was there mainly for work so I was all over. I will be heading back soon, this time I will have a little more spare time for some fun and hopefully some biking. :rifle:

derstuka
07-25-2005, 02:53 PM
Did you get a chance to check out that Mtn bike Bill's website? It is pretty thorough. Like I said, Noble canyon is our best ride. You can shuttle it, or ride up a road/fire road 2500 feet up.

SD does have some sights to see. Don't know if you are married or not, but the Gaslamp area in SD had some very nice looking ladies. I live near PB (Pacific Beach) which is kinda around Sea World. Lots and lots of ladies...

live2ride
07-25-2005, 02:56 PM
Yeah I am married; however, my eyes still work very well the ratio of girls to guys seems like 5 to 1, tons of chicks, and tons of chicks looking to party!!! :2thumbs:

I did check out that website, it was great and had a ton of info. I will let you know when I am down there and then pick your brain for some good trails and so good places to hang out at! When are you going to make your way to Utah and come riding?

derstuka
07-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Should be down to St George/Hurricane in October if all goes well...but, now I don't know if that plan is changing and we are going to Bootleg Canyon. You ever done bootleg?

live2ride
07-25-2005, 03:01 PM
Yeah bootleg is awesome, one thing you should look into in October is the 24hours of Moab mtn bike race. Just a ton of people out in an open place camping, riding and participating in the race if you want. It is fun and someting that I look forward to doing every year.

derstuka
07-25-2005, 03:07 PM
Yeah, I was reading about that in my MBA, as well as the October Fat Tire Fest in Moab. Does that take place on the same weekend? I would love to go to that. It is just a VERY long drive for me. I did it in May and it took me 11 hours of speeding with only gas/pees stops. Over 800 miles one way!

live2ride
07-25-2005, 03:33 PM
Different weekends, Man that is a loooong drive. The atmosphere is cool and if the drive doesn't bother you too much it is worth a 2-3 day stay. They bring in showers, have food tents, all the big vendors are there and pro racing teams, you can ride the course to support the riders, ride in the race and have a good time. I just like hanging out and partying with everyone and getting some riding in.

derstuka
07-25-2005, 06:11 PM
I will definitely try and make it, just don't know if I can garner up friends to travel that far with me. They all mostly have wives and responsibilities, so it is hard. Hell, I went to Moab by myself because the trip got cancelled twice in 2 yrs.

Let me know when you are in SD next time and we can maybe do a ride if you bring your bike and I am around.

live2ride
07-26-2005, 03:12 PM
I will definently let you know when I am in good old Diego, and if you do plan on going to Moab for either one of the festivals, let me know I will be there for the 24hrs of Moab for sure and would like to go to the fat tire festival.

Fuzzy TheBikeGuy
07-28-2005, 08:36 AM
I've Been running Magura RACE-LINE Hydraulics for about 10 years now. Yes, bubba, TheBikeGuy is still running RIM BRAKES! Let's face it; With agressive riders looking to bigger disks for more power, my 22" hydraulic disks kick ass. AND I don't have to listen to SHING-SHING-SHING as I motor along.

I know some day I'll have to submit to the disk demon 'cause that's where the industry is taking us, but thanks to those crazy TRIALS kids, my Maguras might be around for a few more years.

So...
...Your poll is biased; no hydraulic rim brake catagory!

Defeat your fear of death, and welcome the death of fear. :twisted:

derstuka
07-28-2005, 08:45 AM
So...
...Your poll is biased; no hydraulic rim brake catagory!

Sorry mi amigo, it only allows 3 options. I tried to put a third option in when I created it. :bootyshake:

I have to say that I don't think I have heard of hydraulic rims brakes ever...that is news to me!