PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Timpooneke

QuillGordon
07-22-2005, 07:09 PM
Timpooneke Trail, put it on your to do list... Nice trail, not to strenuous... Although, we could only make it in about three miles due to snow drifts on the trail.. The highlight of the hike was Scout Falls, lot's of water for a great display... :2thumbs:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v380/QuillGordon/105_0306.jpg

crazy horse
07-25-2005, 01:41 PM
Thats up AF canyon, right? If so then I was in about that same place this past saturday, only on a bike. Lots of cool places to ride, hike, and even climb up there.

accadacca
07-26-2005, 10:51 AM
Beautiful..... :cool2: Yeah where is that? Great hiking partner you've got there. :2thumbs:

QuillGordon
07-27-2005, 10:06 AM
American Fork Canyon, at the top of the Alpine Loop...

James_B_Wads2000
07-27-2005, 08:00 PM
Timpooneke Trail, put it on your to do list... Nice trail, not to strenuous... Although, we could only make it in about three miles due to snow drifts on the trail

The Timpooneke Trail is seven miles from the trailhead to the Timpanogos Summit. If you only went half way then you never made it to the best parts of the trail. IMO The wildflowers in the Tmpanogos Basin are unbelievable. Along with the views of the north face of Timp its self.

The highlight of the hike was Scout Falls, lot's of water for a great display... :2thumbs:

You little friend is better scenery then those falls. :eek2:

James

Reedus
01-10-2006, 06:51 PM
If there is one hike that has made a lasting impression, this would be the one. I did it with my wife and one other couple in August during the dead of the night. (I trust you won't take that the wrong way) We had headlamps, but we picked a full moon night. Ran into a female moose in the middle of the trail by scout falls. She wouldn't budge and we had to wait her out for about 20 minutes. Can only describe the view from the top at that hour of the night as completely breathtaking

Iceaxe
01-10-2006, 07:28 PM
I would put Timpooneke to the summit of Timp on my 10 best list......

.....if I actually had a 10 best list. :haha:

Route info and a map here for anyone interested.
http://climb-utah.com/WM/timp.htm

:popcorn:

http://climb-utah.com/WM/Files/Timp01s.jpg

shaggy125
01-10-2006, 07:50 PM
OK I'm probably going to get hammered with shouts of disgust here, but I've been to the summit of Timp a few times via both trails and I still think it's overrated. I can't find a smiley dude that's running and ducking for cover so you'll just have to pretend that's what I put here. Sure it's a nice hike, especially the time I followed about 10 mountain goats along the ridge to the peak, but so many people tell me it's the best peak hike in the state? I just don't get it, Lone Peak is so much better. Just my opinion.

Eric.

P.S. Here are some shots of those mountain goats. I had the perfect shot of one real close to the lens with the Alpine Ridge in the background. I pressed the shoot button and my camera turned off. Battery died. Doh, I forgot to charge it before I came. Oh well I got a couple shots still.

Scott P
01-11-2006, 09:32 AM
I just don't get it, Lone Peak is so much better. Just my opinion.

Have to disagree. Lone Peak is really scenic up high via any route, but other than Bells Canyon, is not very scenic down low. Timpooneke or Aspen Grove are scenic the entire bottom to top.

PS, for anyone who is interested, there are ways to leave the crowds. Cascade Cirque is perhaps the most scenic place on the mountain. Pika Cirque is nice as well. Both these cirques make a nice alternate and very scenic destination without any crowds.

Iceaxe
01-11-2006, 09:51 AM
I'm with Scott, the first two hours and last two hours of Lone Peak suck. The middle 5 or 6 hours are spectalcular. One of my other favorite hikes is the Pfeifferhorn via the White Pine Trailhead (http://climb-utah.com/WM/pfeifferhorn.htm).

Scott P
01-11-2006, 10:39 AM
My own opinion, which may not mean much:

Top 10 Utah hikes/backpacks (non technical) for alpine scenery

1. West Fork Blacks Fork to Deadhorse Lake
2. Timpanooke Trail (Mount Timpanogos)
3. Aspen Grove Trail (Mount Timpanogos)
4. East Fork Blacks Fork to Allsop Lake
5. Red Castle Lake from East Fork Blacks Fork
6. The Beatout. Pfeifferhorn to Bells Canyon
7. Twins, Dromedary, or Sunrise from Broads Fork
8. Dromedary from Lake Blanche
9. Lone Peak Cirque and Lone Peak
10. Hayden Pass to Upper Rock Creek, Priord Lake, and then to East Fork Bear River