PDA

View Full Version : Dissolving Geocaches

rockgremlin
07-22-2005, 09:19 AM
Are there ever geocaches that are just "dissolved" so to speak? Where someone has intentionally physically removed the cache at a certain location? What happens then? Does it get replaced?

Just wondering... :idea:

DeViDe
07-22-2005, 11:04 AM
When a cache goes missing, and they do quite often in high traffic areas, the cache owner has the option to either replace the cache or archive it.

rockgremlin
07-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Interesting. Are there any caches that have NEVER been found?

DeViDe
07-22-2005, 11:51 AM
There are about 20 caches in Utah that have been out since last year that haven't been found yet. A few have been out for 3 years. They are either in pretty remote places or have puzzles that need to be solved in order to find them.

Here is

one (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9ec36621-a5e4-4ff0-8d98-9a1208559635)

another (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=280c9294-39e9-4a28-a33e-1f62f1bad01d)

this is ours, has been out more than a year (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=91614792-9138-449c-b912-b32a54b3734b)

Windwalker
07-22-2005, 09:41 PM
DE,

I'll bet if you placed a hundred dollar bill there, like you did on cache #100, it would be visited right soon.(':roflol:')

JR

(':bootyshake:')
This little emoticon makes me think of our "Bend Over and Cough" Cache in San Rafael

Udink
07-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Did somebody say $100? :naughty:

DeViDe
07-23-2005, 06:20 AM
I'll bet if you placed a hundred dollar bill there, like you did on cache #100, it would be visited right soon.(':roflol:')

[quote=Udink]Did somebody say $100? :naughty:

How about if somebody else drops a C note out there once in a awhile :ne_nau:

Sure was fun watching every one scramble to get the cash from the cache.

accadacca
07-27-2005, 04:34 PM
This little emoticon makes me think of our "Bend Over and Cough" Cache in San Rafael
??? Can you explain the story behind this cache? Sounds interesting... :lol8:

Windwalker
07-27-2005, 04:42 PM
Maybe a Fifty $ Bill when we hit our 50th hidden cache, but I just don't have the pocket change that you have De. And I'm only at my twenty-fith placements or there abouts. But I'll have to admit, nobody has place more Utah caches than the DeViDe Team. And some of the more challenging and interesting caches to boot.

Did you read that someone got your "Just Off Highway Six"? Climbed straight up. Bet that was a lung burner.

Windwalker
07-27-2005, 04:51 PM
??? Can you explain the story behind this cache? Sounds interesting... :lol8:

It's a rock formation in San Rafael that leaves nothing to the imagination if you're someone who see's enough of the human rearend. J&L both see their fair share just by nature of our jobs. Next time your Dr. snaps his rubber gloves and says "Bend Over and Cought" think of this cache. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=55d7d6dd-ccb7-4ef1-87f6-ecbb644636cf

My daughter, now on a mission, was with me when the cache was placed and about died laughing when I wrote down my coordinates and the name I gave it...

accadacca
07-27-2005, 06:55 PM
My daughter, now on a mission
Where is she? Funny story BTW. What do you do for a living? I am still trying to decide what to do with my fried GPS. :wallbash:

Udink
07-27-2005, 08:09 PM
Maybe a Fifty $ Bill when we hit our 50th hidden cache, but I just don't have the pocket change that you have De. And I'm only at my twenty-fith placements or there abouts. But I'll have to admit, nobody has place more Utah caches than the DeViDe Team. And some of the more challenging and interesting caches to boot.

Did you read that someone got your "Just Off Highway Six"? Climbed straight up. Bet that was a lung burner.
25 is still an awful lot of hides, but your found/hidden ratio is still better than mine. By the way, congrats on your 500th find! Which one was #500?

I pulled off Highway 6 in my Taurus the other day and stared up that hill, then decided there was no way I was hiking up. I didn't even realize there was an ATV trail that led up there. Man, that's a scary place to pull out of when heading east! I may grab the two up Long Hollow this weekend on my mountain bike--it should be a nice ride if I get up early enough in the morning.

Windwalker
07-28-2005, 02:28 PM
My daughter, now on a mission
Where is she? Funny story BTW. What do you do for a living? I am still trying to decide what to do with my fried GPS. :wallbash:

Accadacca.

She's in the Phillipins, has about a year or so left. Retired Officer now working County Jail, wife is a RN, thus the reason we both see lots of butts. GPSr?? Pull the plug and move on to another love.

We've strayed from the original thread of lost, stolen or missing geocaches. I've personal only come accrossed two that had been vandelized. We tried as best we could to gather things up and replace. And of course we notified the owner to check their cache.

WindWalkers aka J&L Lee

accadacca
07-28-2005, 02:42 PM
She's in the Phillipins, has about a year or so left.
That's cool! I guess insert dog joke here __________. :lol8: Has she eaten any? My wife is also an RN. As well as Sombeech's wife. We were also partners in crime in London.

We've strayed from the original thread of lost, stolen or missing geocaches.
Yeah it happens and I call it hijacking the thread. Oh well......... :ne_nau:

Windwalker
07-28-2005, 03:18 PM
UDINK,

Not really to sure which one was our 500th, I'm sure it's one of the DeViDe's caches. We were with them three weeks ago while placing caches. We signed the log but did not log the find at geocaching.com leaving it open for a FTF for someone else. Those caches are on my "watch list" and as they are found we'll follow up by logging. As far as geocaching.com is concerned it's probably one of a half dozen we found in Ephraim Canyon. Finds to Placed ratio?? I bow(':hail2thechief:') before the DeViDe that have a ratio of about one placed for every fifth cache found.

Later, J&L Lee

""What's the BADFISH license plate all about?? Did you see that the state is now in a delema over gay rights plates?? Maybe you should try for your "UDINK" plate again.(':roflol:')
Roflol

Again, Later J&L LEE