PDA

View Full Version : HIghpointing

bunkerdave
07-21-2005, 04:00 PM
Been trying since my first highpoint in 2001 to get a couple of these each year. My first was Mt Peale in the La Sals, then Kings, Gilbert, Deseret, East Mtn, South Tent Mtn, and Ibapah. I guess I have started at the top and been working my way down, so to speak, since most of mine have been the highest and (I am told) hardest ones. Kind of nice to have those out of the way. My goal, of course, is to eventually bag all 29, and we'll see how old I am when that happens. I am 34 now, and consider myself to be in pretty good climbing shape, until I do a hike like last week when myself and two other geocachers/highpointers went up Wheeler Peak in Nevada and I watched a group of explorer scouts pass me by on the trail as i rested. Speaking of Wheeler, if anyone is looking for a tremendous hike to do this summer, while so many of our peaks are still under considerable snowpack, that is a great one. There is snow there as well (Wheeler is over 13,000) but it's mostly in the gullies and at the top. There is a terrific spot for glissading that cuts off a lot of hiking on the way down, too. Great Basin NP is truly a gem of a getaway. Not at all what one would expect to find in that area west of Delta.

Anyhow, I am always up for another highpoint, and having done a few of them alone, would greatly welcome the company.

accadacca
07-22-2005, 08:50 AM
You have come to the right place Dave. We are in the process as well. There are a few guys on here that are really in to this. James_B_Wads2000 seems to be the resident expert on high peaking. He should chime in at some point. Rockgremlin and others are also in the process and plan trips to different peaks. We including myself are planning on hiking Lone, Timp, and Twin, before snowfall.