PDA

View Full Version : Cedar City Slobs

rockgremlin
07-20-2005, 05:51 PM
On our way back from Zion, we decided to camp out up Cedar Canyon, just outside of Cedar City where it's 25 degrees cooler at night. We arrived kind of late at night, and just crashed. In the morning we woke up to a neck dumping ground! It pisses me off because every time I camp in the canyons around Cedar City they're absolutely filthy! Each time I visit I end up having to pick up a bunch of garbage that some gang of necks has left behind! It's an outrage, and someone should really do something about it.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? Who is responsible? What can/should be done about it?

Any ideas?

accadacca
07-20-2005, 06:12 PM
Yeah I have been up that canyon about 11 years ago. Same story! :lame: I really don't know who it is but I have my suspicions. I would suspect that it is the punks from the college. Going up the canyon and sipping some booze, then trying to get laid. :pitcher:
Not that there is anything wrong with that. :feelgood: I say to each his own and I try to stay out of peoples way.
What should we do? Wring their little necks!!! :chairshot: Seriously though, the city should do more about the problem and I would think that they could. Police the area, hide out and make sure these slobs pick up after themselves. It could ba a covert operation. I would be willing to help out on a busy weekend. Then just fine the slobs like $500 for leaving their garbage and give them community service. Make them pick up garbage on the side of the highway like a delinquent. Something has to be done...... :kbasa: I remember thinking it was a junk yard the last time I camped up there.

rockgremlin
07-20-2005, 06:38 PM
I would suspect that it is the punks from the college.

I don't buy that. The U of U has how many thousands more students, and the trash problem isn't that bad up any one of SLC's canyons. BYU has how many thousands more students, and American Fork and Rock Canyons aren't nearly as polluted.

A big majority of the trash is spent gun shells, and stuff ridden with bullet-holes that were used as targets. How many out-of-state college students do you know of who bring their guns to school so they can shoot up stuff on the weekends?! Not very many... :nono:

It has to be the local population.

accadacca
07-20-2005, 06:54 PM
Well U of U students don't drink beer........ :roflol: and we know that they don't consume in Provo. :lol8: As for getting laid, that's another story. :getiton:

What about other outdoor areas in cedar? My wife has a friend and her husband is from cedar. I will try to alert him of the post and get some info.

rock_ski_cowboy
07-20-2005, 10:59 PM
It seems you've stumbled upon what could be termed a "redneck hotspot." I bet even Salt lake valley has a few, if you know where to look. Around here, its "West Mountain" that place is a hell hole of trash. We go up there to shoot sometimes and bring home twice as many shells and junk as we take up there, but its almost hopeless.

rockgremlin
07-21-2005, 08:22 AM
It seems you've stumbled upon what could be termed a "redneck hotspot."

Ya, the problem is that I've been up 2 or 3 different side canyons just outside of Cedar City, and they ALL are polluted. I have yet to find a clean canyon around Cedar City.

Makes me sick!! :fart:

scoutabout
12-09-2006, 11:29 PM
I don't buy that. The U of U has how many thousands more students, and the trash problem isn't that bad up any one of SLC's canyons. BYU has how many thousands more students, and American Fork and Rock Canyons aren't nearly as polluted.

AF Canyon is clean because there are a few groups who keep it clean. PLENTY of trash is dumped there every year. It just gets removed quickly thanks to a devoted group of volunteers, and the efforts of the Pleasant Grove Ranger District. If anyone wants to know more, I'll be glad to elaborate.

Every front-country area is a trash dump. The VAST majority of people in the west don't respect the land as much as they should. Studies have been conducted that show how east-coasters are more respectful of public lands than most people in the west. Why? Because most people in the west take their public lands for granted. "The land has always been there, and it always will be" is their mindset.

Don't start an e-fight. I said most people in the west don't respect their public lands.

Rev. Coyote
12-13-2006, 08:20 AM
This looks like the work of my fellow Southerners. Looks like Appalachian white trash came through the area.

Reedus
12-13-2006, 03:30 PM
It is mine and I left it there because I knew Rockmeister would pick up after me. :haha:

tanya
02-27-2007, 08:38 AM
It's a mindset out here. The 'locals' tend to feel that it's their land and the tourists should stay away. Sad but true in many cases. The trash is everywhere .... I get really tired of picking it up too.

When all the mess was stirred up with the Grand Staircase people voiced their opinions. I was shocked. I still have a hard time believing they can think how they do. But they feel that all this beautiful pristine land around here is theirs.... their Grandfathers played on it, so it belongs to them. The adults think it's the tourists throwing the trash out there. My jaw dropped at this one. And the teens don't know what pollution and crowded cities are like. They don't appreciate what is here. They party and think its cool to run the exhaust on their big rigs and toss their trash all over.

Red Neck's yes... .... Very sad.

DiscGo
02-27-2007, 08:45 AM
AF Canyon is clean because there are a few groups who keep it clean. PLENTY of trash is dumped there every year.

The reason why they started charging to go up AF canyon was because so many motorcylce groups were going through and littering. They started charging so people who didn't need to go there would stop, and to pay for the clean up.

JP
02-27-2007, 06:27 PM
Good job :2thumbs:

rockgremlin
09-11-2016, 07:15 PM
I have a friend that lives in Cedar City and he can attest to everything that's been brought up in this thread. Sometimes he goes out and cleans up these dumpsites, but cleaning them all up and keeping them clean is a full time job. Who would he talk to about making a little coin to clean the place up? Forest service? BLM? The mayor?