PDA

View Full Version : I haven't hunted for awhile

Wasatch Rebel
07-19-2005, 05:49 AM
I like deer hunting. I used to go archery hunting a lot, and occasionally on the regular hunt. Then I got to broke to go and without a truck, it didn't seem worth it. I don't really like that the applications have to be in in January--I'm so broke right after Christmas. I kind of liked the old system better--as long as they keep the quotas, why couldn't a later application time still work? It used to.

Any thoughts?

accadacca
07-19-2005, 09:19 AM
I agree.... :nod: I don't think about the deer hunt until it is here. I remember when you could get a tag anywhere. That was much more convenient for me. I went with rockgremlin two different years and came to the conclusion that I am a lousy deer hunter. We saw everything but deer with antlers. :wallbash: I used to go with my Dad growing up and he always found one. He has a garage full of antlers. So I have not been for a few years. The draw confusion is partly to blame.

icthys
07-19-2005, 09:51 AM
I don't really understand why the early draw application dates are that big of deal. You should have a hunting area in mind by Jan making it easy to put in an application. If the cost is an issue applying online is the way to go. It's only $5 for the application and if you do draw out (the draws are in April) then your card won't get hit until April. If you put aside $5-10 each week/month you'd already have the cash in your account for if you draw out. If you don't draw you just have extra money.

Wasatch Rebel
07-19-2005, 04:01 PM
I don't really understand why the early draw application dates are that big of deal. You should have a hunting area in mind by Jan making it easy to put in an application. If the cost is an issue applying online is the way to go. It's only $5 for the application and if you do draw out (the draws are in April) then your card won't get hit until April. If you put aside $5-10 each week/month you'd already have the cash in your account for if you draw out. If you don't draw you just have extra money.

It's probably not that big of deal--except, don't you have to buy the license or something in order to put the number on the application? At least, that's the way it was the last time I did it. Maybe I'm just confused by the overly-complicated Big Game Proclamation. They really need to get someone who can write to simplify that thing. IMHO!

icthys
07-20-2005, 06:34 AM
I've only bought general tags, and this year an antlerless draw tag. The general tags are easy if they make it to the over the counter status, you just go to the website and buy it. The tag was a little more difficult but it wasn't bad at all. You have to figure out which area and the numbers that correspond to that area. When you fill out the application you enter in the numbers of the area you want. You enter your card info and submit it. You will be charged $5 for each application but you won't be charged for the tag until you draw, if you draw. Once you draw the tag that is your license.

fourtycal
07-20-2005, 06:58 AM
After you apply once, DWR sends you an application each year. since I apply on line I just use the mailer as a reminder (though I am usually so excited about the prospects I need no reminder) The part that sucks is I have applied for a premium bull elk for seven years in a row now and still have not drawn! Maybe next year!

Wasatch Rebel
07-20-2005, 11:59 AM
I've only bought general tags, and this year an antlerless draw tag. The general tags are easy if they make it to the over the counter status, you just go to the website and buy it. The tag was a little more difficult but it wasn't bad at all. You have to figure out which area and the numbers that correspond to that area. When you fill out the application you enter in the numbers of the area you want. You enter your card info and submit it. You will be charged $5 for each application but you won't be charged for the tag until you draw, if you draw. Once you draw the tag that is your license.

Ahah. So it's changed a bit since the last time I applied. That's good to know. Maybe next year I'll try it again.

Shane