PDA

View Full Version : An old guy with sore feet.

Wasatch Rebel
07-19-2005, 05:37 AM
Hi, I'm Shane from Kearns. My vital statistics: I'm forty-six, married with three children, the youngest nearly 18. I'm a mailman and a writer. My hobbies include hiking, fishing, backpacking (occasionally), guitar playing, debating on the net. I don't get out as much as I'd like--too many other responsibilities--so my trip 's Peak was a long planned for and long awaited journey. I've only been on one other hike this year, and that was up the Lake Blanche trail. We didn't make it to the lake as we got hit by a bad thunderstorm (that was during that rainy spell in June). I went to the King's English Bookstore earlier this year to hear Aron Ralston (the guy who had his arm pinned under a rock in Blue John Canyon and had to cut it off), and found that fascinating--I was just glad it wasn't me.
Anyway, I'll be joining you from time to time to discuss the outdoors.

Shane

rockgremlin
07-19-2005, 07:37 AM
Hey we have several things in common: My feet are sore because I did quite a bit of hiking over the weekend, and I feel old (today's my 30th birthday). :lol8:

Wasatch Rebel
07-19-2005, 07:51 AM
Hey we have several things in common: My feet are sore because I did quite a bit of hiking over the weekend, and I feel old (today's my 30th birthday). :lol8:

Lucky dog! I wish I was thirty. I just looked at a photo of my wife and I just before we were married. We were twenty. My wife said "do you wish you were still that young?" I said, "no, but sometimes I wish I had that body again--especially on that backpacking trip!. :nod:

Sombeech
07-19-2005, 08:34 AM
(today's my 30th birthday). :lol8:

Happy birthday!

My hobbies include hiking, fishing, backpacking (occasionally), guitar playing, debating on the net

Looks like you belong on the site! Welcome.

What kind of guitar do you play?

accadacca
07-19-2005, 08:56 AM
Here is rockgremlin in blue john:

My best Aron Ralston impression (minus the grin). That's the exact location where he got stuck. The boulder that's "pinning" my hand is the same one that pinned Aron's. Subsequent flash floods have washed off his chip marks and blood off the walls.

http://uutah.com/forum/files/6.jpg

What a wise guy! Happy 30th old man!

Welcome again to the site Shane. :2thumbs:

live2ride
07-19-2005, 03:25 PM
Welcome!!

Wasatch Rebel
07-19-2005, 03:53 PM
uote]

Looks like you belong on the site! Welcome.

What kind of guitar do you play?

Thanks! I have a Takamine acoustic and a cheap Samick electric. I mostly play folk/bluegrass, but sometimes play some rock and blues. I also have a banjo and was taking lessons, but have kind of dropped them for now because I didn't even have enough time to play the axe (my second wife, as my wife calls it!).

Wasatch Rebel
07-19-2005, 03:55 PM
My best Aron Ralston impression (minus the grin). That's the exact location where he got stuck. The boulder that's "pinning" my hand is the same one that pinned Aron's. Subsequent flash floods have washed off his chip marks and blood off the walls.

Welcome again to the site Shane. :2thumbs:[/quote]

Thanks for the welcome! I heard that they moved that rock into a position in which it won't ever be able to shift again. When I went up 's Peak, I took my trusty multi-tool along...just in case.

Wasatch Rebel
07-19-2005, 03:56 PM
Welcome!!

Thanks!

Sombeech
07-20-2005, 09:19 AM
I have a Takamine acoustic and a cheap Samick electric.

Cool. I like those Takamine acoustics. I'd love to get a 12 string some day.

I've got a 7 string Ibanez S series, a Yamaha Classical acoustic, and a cheap Westone Villain 6 string electric.

Besides a new 12 string, I'd like to get a Jackson Kelly some day, but now Fender owns Jackson, so we'll see where that goes...

Wasatch Rebel
07-20-2005, 11:56 AM
I have a Takamine acoustic and a cheap Samick electric.

Besides a new 12 string, I'd like to get a Jackson Kelly some day, but now Fender owns Jackson, so we'll see where that goes...

I'd like a Taylor. Some of those are really sweet.

accadacca
07-20-2005, 01:29 PM
I have an Ibanez as well. I love them! :rockon: I would own a few more if I could. I would really like a Gibson SG someday though. A signature Angus Young version of course. :guitar:

Wasatch Rebel
07-22-2005, 05:09 AM
I have an Ibanez as well. I love them! :rockon: I would own a few more if I could. I would really like a Gibson SG someday though. A signature Angus Young version of course. :guitar:

One time while traveling through Gunnison, Colorado, I stopped in this gift shop to look around. There behind the counter was a Gibson that must've been 45 years old if it was a day. I asked the guy if it was for sale--I got a "no". I'd sure like to get a hold of an old Gibson like that some day!