PDA

View Full Version : Taking digital cameras on your rides.

eddy1911
07-18-2005, 09:21 PM
How do you guys take your digital cameras on your rides. I have a nice Canon digital camera but I hate risking breaking it with a possible tumble on the trail. What do you guys do?

Thanks,

Eddy

accadacca
07-18-2005, 09:53 PM
Not to be cocky but I just don't crash. I am past the crashing stage if you will. Also my camera is in my camel bak and then in a small case. But really I don't remember the last time I took a spill. :maestro:

derstuka
07-19-2005, 06:28 AM
I don't know, I would be weary about stating that you "never" crash, because even the best riders crash from time to time! You could say that lately you have been crashing very unfrequently, but, like I said, everybody crashes. We used to ride with a guy that said that he doesn't crash and that is why he didn't wear a helmet, well, guess what? He took a spill and took a good hit on his head and got a nice cut above his eyebrow.

In regards to your question about where to stow a camera....well, I stow mine in my camel back, and if I am moving slower and taking lots of photos, I sometimes put it in my shorts side pocket. I guess after I have something for a couple of years (2.5 to be exact) I take more risks. I will say that my Sony Cybershot sure is a durable camera. It has been dropped 4 feet (not by me) to the pavement, left in extreme heat/cold, and just been thrown around quite a bit, and ya know what? The "ole girl" just takes a licking and keeps on ticking! Woooo hoooo!

Sombeech
07-19-2005, 08:51 AM
I've also got a decent Canon digital. It's the A510, 3.2 megapixel, so it's probably an alright camera. I'm satisfied.

I've got a couple of methods of carrying. I actually sometimes pack a camcorder, incase there's some good video clip opportunities.

I have a camelback HAWG, and I can fit my camcorder case in there. It can hold my camcorder, still camera, and some spare tapes. It's pretty insulated.

I'm going to stop packing the camcorder though, because my Canon can also take video. Lately, I've been strapping the still camera case to my top strap on my chest. I just loop the strap through the loop in the back of the case. This way, I'm not taking off my pack every time I want a quick shot.

I'd have much less shots if I had to take my pack off for every one of them.

If I crash, which I still do quite often :haha: , I can usually manage to turn to my back, where the camera isn't.

derstuka
07-19-2005, 09:20 AM
If my TV didn't take a sh*t on me this weekend forcing me to buy a new one, I probably would have bought that Samsung digital video camera with the remote camera mount. I've got my eye on that baby!

BrainDamage
07-19-2005, 11:28 AM
I use an otterbox for mine, It has been with me everywhere From motorcycle rides crashing on slickrock, Mtb in the desert, and hiking. they are water proof and can realy take a beating.

http://www.otterbox.com/

this is the one I have
http://www.otterbox.com/product.cfm?product=142&code=NA

crazy horse
07-19-2005, 12:56 PM
If you ain't crashing you ain't trying. Just kidding. But I crash a ton, usually because i take way too big of risks and just launch off of stuff. I guess that is what being a teenager is about though :D. For that reason, I don't really bring a camera when I ride. I figure that if its pictures that I'm after, i'll go hiking. I'm too poor to buy a new camera, so just not worth the risk.

Sombeech
07-19-2005, 01:07 PM
I'll get an otterbox soon.

accadacca
07-19-2005, 01:08 PM
If you ain't crashing you ain't trying.
Good point! I say to newbie bikers that if you aren't crashing that you aren't getting better. You must crash to get better. I used to crash a lot when I was your age. It was good to get it out of the way. I really felt old the other day driving up to the trail head of the crest. I am 30 and have been riding the crest since I was 12. That might have something to do with it. I have also been riding motorcycles for that long.

live2ride
07-19-2005, 03:20 PM
come on accadacca!! You have to crash sometimes even if it is going uphill!! time to start riding some stuff that is a little more technical man!!! J/K now to the camera thing, I have a 5mp pentax optio that is small enough to fit in a altoids can.so that is my protection if I carash and it is in the camelback so there is some cushion there. It is worth taking the camera every time that you go riding, yesterday I was up snowbasin and forgot my camera and happened to ride by two bull moose hanging out in a pond. It had Doug Miller's snapshot of the week written all over it.

DickHead
07-19-2005, 04:46 PM
I just dropped my outdated 2.1mp camera in a creek....Now I've got a 4.1mp camera and it cost half what the 2.1 was about 5 years ago....
:frustrated:
I usually keep mine in a small camera case, loop the shoulder strap over my head and one arm. Generally, it hasn't been a problem.

I'm taking the new camera to the crits with me tonight, I'll post any good pics I get.

mroy
07-20-2005, 09:27 AM
Hey live2ride I wonder if those were the same 2 moose that I saw when I was up at Snowbasin on Saturday. They were hanging around the first stream crossing at the bottom of the green pond trail. I almost got a clean pic of them, but right when I was taking the shot another biker was coming down & I had to get out of the way, so all I got was a shot of green & brown blur, lol. I just pack my canon a95 in my camelbak. With everything else in there I figure it's protected enough if I go down. I used to pack a crappy digital on rides & hikes in case I crashed, but after two years that camera's still working fine after everything I put it through, and I've been missing out on taking better pictures with a better camera the whole time. I think it would be fine in a padded case in your pack if you really care about it.

Sombeech
07-20-2005, 09:30 AM
I've been missing out on taking better pictures with a better camera the whole time. I think it would be fine in a padded case in your pack if you really care about it.

Isn't that the craps? Most of the time, I'm only going to certain locations JUST for the pictures.

Welcome to the site!

DickHead
07-20-2005, 09:33 AM
I completely forgot to take any pictures last night. I'm hooked up wtih a new team and was meeting and greeting some of the guys I'm now with.
www.cutthroatracing.org
:2thumbs: