PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Imlay Canyon

rockgremlin
07-18-2005, 01:08 PM
As part of Tom Jones' Canyonfest, Mike and I went down and dropped through Imlay Canyon in Zion National Park over the weekend of July 16.
Our group consisted of Neil Wilkinson (team leader), Greg Cornelius, Mike Fox, and myself.

Imlay is an awesome canyon, and worthy of all of the hype it receives. After 10 straight hours in the canyon, I was having so much fun I was sad to see it drawing to an end. It definitely is a canyon for tough guys only, but man what a ride!! :2thumbs: All of the infamous "keeper potholes" were all full of water, so this canyon was a wet romp.

We did Imlay via the "shortcut route," which cuts out the upper part of the canyon, and still makes for a long day. The shortcut route begins on the Angel's Landing trail, and continues on the West Rim trail. After about 30 minutes on the West Rim trail, you break away and bushwack north for about 90 minutes until you eventually drop into Imlay. Imlay empties into the Zion Narrows.

The weather was HOT (105?), but we didn't notice the heat because we were splashing around in potholes full of 50-degree water all day. We were decked out in wetsuits in order to evade hypothermia. :cold:

I was shooting with a Kodak waterproof disposable camera :haha: , so most of the pics I got were crappy. Special thanks to Neil who provided most of the pics to follow:

rockgremlin
07-26-2005, 06:28 PM
more...

icthys
07-27-2005, 06:35 AM
Holy Smokes!

I've got to do something like that someday. I've hiked many of the non-canyoneering canyons throughout Utah and have loved every single one of them. I think doing something like this is on the top of my list for things I want to accomplish.

Great pics and great report.

accadacca
07-27-2005, 08:59 AM
Huh...yeah that looks like wet suit country. No sun at all in many of those pictures. :cold: How many other people did you see in that canyon?

rockgremlin
07-27-2005, 09:23 AM
We didn't see anybody else in the entire canyon that day (except for the Narrows walk-out). Imlay is one of the less popular canyoneering routes because of the difficulty rating.

Personally, I didn't think it was as tough as everyone makes it out to be. Even if the keeper potholes were only half full, it wouldn't be nearly as tough as everyone says it is. But then again, I'm one of those high endurance freaks who run marathons cold. :crazycobasa: :haha:

Sombeech
07-27-2005, 09:36 AM
I'm starting to love those disposable waterproof cameras. I've bought 3 in the last month and a half.

It sucks about the quality sometimes, and you don't know what to expect before you develop them.

They need a digital waterproof camera, for under $200, and atleast 3 MP.

Great pictures though. Especially the last 2. That looks like fun. I don't think I'm man enough to do that one yet though. :eek2:

DickHead
08-10-2005, 07:28 AM
That's balls. Pure and simple. I don't think it would be my cup of tea, but those photos are freakin spectacular.

Sombeech
08-10-2005, 08:44 AM
That's balls. Pure and simple. I don't think it would be my cup of tea, but those photos are freakin spectacular.

I agree. I'd have both of those framed.

price1869
08-22-2005, 12:37 PM
We're doing imlay this coming weekend. ?? for you, one canyoneer to another. Did you get a permit? Either way, did you feel like you needed to? Did you get checked?

I don't have a problem with paying or whatever, but our time frame just doesn't allow for it. The ranger station will be closed by the time we get there on friday, and i'm not waiting for it to open on sat.

Just wondering..

Price

FOX
08-22-2005, 01:50 PM
We had a permit for Imlay and we did not get checked. I have yet to be checked in the Zion backcountry canyons but there is always a first time. For me though it's not an issue of getting caught or feeling that I "need" to have a permit -- that's just the way it is in Zion, especially due to the many deaths of late. It's the law now and the only way the Forest Service can track who is doing what and where they potentially are. None of us ever expect to have any problems doing the slots but I never go unprepared anymore nor do I underestimate canyons that I've done several times.

From one canyoneer to another -- I would make the effort to get the permit. Maybe someone in your party would be able to get to Zion before the station closes? Good luck, be safe and have fun. Imlay is awesome!

rock_ski_cowboy
08-25-2005, 09:48 AM
If a ranger sees you with your big packs, he'll check you. I've been checked twice, once going up Angel's Landing Trail, once coming down the narrows. Imlay involves both AL and Narrows, both popular spots for tourists and therefore rangers. AL shouldn't be a problem cause you'll be hitting it early. Coming down the narrows/river walk might be another issue. Personally I'd probably take my chances if it meant doing the canyon or not. I'll post Heaps pics as soon as i Get em.

accadacca
08-25-2005, 10:57 AM
I'll post Heaps pics as soon as i Get em.
HEAPS! :eek2: I have got to SEE this....for anyone lurking that is not into canyoneering. I have heard that this canyon is the big kahuna.... :hail2thechief: Right?

rock_ski_cowboy
08-26-2005, 07:10 AM
Heres the TR's and some shoddy pics.
Sorry I don't have time to repost here.

http://utoutdoors.blogspot.com/

shaggy125
09-28-2005, 04:56 PM
Just in case anyone reads these posts and notices the link to the Heaps pics does not take them direcly to heaps pics anymore, here is the direct link:

http://utoutdoors.blogspot.com/2005/08/heaps-canyon.html