PDA

View Full Version : Fresh fish

derstuka
07-17-2005, 09:35 PM
Anything smell fishy? Well, it's probably me, 'cuz I'm the newbie, or fresh fish!

I travel to Utah 2-3 times a year and I can't get enough of it. I have been to Zion, Bryce Canyon, Cedar Breaks, Lake Powell, Canyonlands, Arches, Moab, and I hope to add much more to my list. I've also hiked to the Colorado river and back in a day (well, much less really) at the Grand Canyon, hiked Halfdome in Yosemite, and hopefully mt whitney in a year or two.

rockgremlin
07-18-2005, 06:39 AM
Interesting that Half Dome has a cabled trail all the way to the top.

Where's the sovereign trail?

derstuka
07-18-2005, 06:46 AM
Yes, halfdome does have a cabled trail. The cables get taken down each year (because of heavy snowfall) and put back up around memorial day. If the cables were not there, you would have to be an advanced rockclimber to make it to the top. The entire trail from Yosemite Valley is about 4600 feet elevation gain, and 17 miles round trip. The picture that I put on here (from my first post above) doesn't do it justice, because that is a flat part of the cables. The rest of it is about 45 degrees and you have to use your arms about 80% compared to your legs to get up there.

I'm putting another pic up that is a little steeper looking. Oh, and Sovereign Trail is just north of Moab about 10 miles or so.

Sombeech
07-18-2005, 07:31 AM
Nice pictures. I'd love to go to Yosemite.

Sounds like you've been more places in Utah than most Utahns have.

Welcome to the site.

accadacca
07-18-2005, 07:50 AM
I was just watching a show about Yosemite this weekend. It is on my list of places to go. Looks like you will really fit in here. Sweet pictures!! :headbang:

derstuka
07-18-2005, 07:54 AM
To be honest, Yosemite (in the Spring especially) is the most beautiful place that I have been thus far. Truly amazing it is. If you do go there, I would suggest going in the Spring time around May or so, and during midweek at that. Snow is metling away fast and the waterfalls are running at full capacity. If you do go late in the summer (after school is out) the place begins to look like Disneyland, and has bad traffic backups going into it. Not worth it in my opinion. I'll post some more pics.

derstuka
07-18-2005, 08:11 AM
Here are some more pictures of Yosemite...as you know, pictures sometimes just can't do justice.

derstuka
07-18-2005, 08:13 AM
more pictures of Yosemite

derstuka
07-18-2005, 08:15 AM
last ones of Yosemite. I have WAY too many pics to list. Gives you an idea though.

Sombeech
07-18-2005, 08:16 AM
I'll post some more pics.

Great! Keep em coming.

BTW, I'm also a spring fan. I love the waterfalls, and that's usually when they're roaring. Also when there's fewer people.

I use this philosophy when I go to Havasu Canyon
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427

derstuka
07-18-2005, 08:32 AM
Awwwwww...dude! Awesome pics! I so want to do there. I haven't made it yet, but I plan to. Do you have to get permission from the Navajo Indians to be able to reach it? I believe it is on their land.

Sombeech
07-18-2005, 08:42 AM
Awwwwww...dude! Awesome pics! I so want to do there. I haven't made it yet, but I plan to. Do you have to get permission from the Navajo Indians to be able to reach it? I believe it is on their land.

Yeah, it's actually the Havasupai tribe. I've got a ton of info for you, or anybody who is interested. I studied up on this trip like a mad scientist.

I'll actually post all of the info on it in the backpacking section, under Havasu canyon, so others can find it easily.

I've been there twice, and I'm thinking of it next spring too.

derstuka
07-18-2005, 09:20 AM
Oh yeah, that's right, it is the Havasupai tribe. Thanks! Hey, have you ever been to "Antelope Canyon?" It is near Page AZ on Navajo Indian land. A guy went at my work, and made me feel like a fool, cause I drove by it twice on two different trips and I totally forgot to go there.

Sombeech
07-18-2005, 09:31 AM
Oh yeah, that's right, it is the Havasupai tribe. Thanks! Hey, have you ever been to "Antelope Canyon?" It is near Page AZ on Navajo Indian land. A guy went at my work, and made me feel like a fool, cause I drove by it twice on two different trips and I totally forgot to go there.

I haven't actually, but wanted to go there. We drove through Page AZ the first time down to Havasu, but didn't have the time. You have to go on a tour out there.

I've heard it's the most photographed slot canyon. We may even have some pictures of it in the canyoneering section.

derstuka
07-18-2005, 09:43 AM
It was funny because the guy at my work who went to Antelope Canyon said that the Navajo man who took them to it just walked ahead of them and pointed at a fairly small hole in the ground and said "there it is!"

Hey, I asked this in the hiking section, but no answers yet: Have you ever done Wheeler Peak in Great Basin (Nevada)? I actually think I might have listed "big" instead of "great" before.

Sombeech
07-18-2005, 09:46 AM
Have you ever done Wheeler Peak in Great Basin (Nevada)? I actually think I might have listed "big" instead of "great" before.

I haven't. Somebody here probably has though...