PDA

View Full Version : Newbie: What to look for in a bike

rock_ski_cowboy
07-13-2005, 12:50 PM
OK. I admit it, I've been mountain biking once or twice in my life. You guessed it, the slickrock loop. Besides that my biking experience has been limited to taking my old shockless Trek off "sweet jumps" around the neighborhood. You guessed it again, I destroyed my bike about 6 years ago by jumping off ledges and cement walls (I got so I could do about 6 foot drops), and haven't ever had enough spare money or interest to get a replacement. Now bikes are all different, with full suspension, disk brakes and all. I'll probably end up getting one, although not in the near future. What are essential features? What should I expect to pay for a good bike? Where's a good place to buy them? Can you find good used bikes out there or is it better to stick with new?

Sombeech
07-13-2005, 01:12 PM
Depends what kind of riding you will do. If you want to join the cool crowd :lol8: and start biking with us, you may be looking for a full suspension bike.

Just ask KillEmAll. He's just getting into biking, and bought himself a pretty nice one. http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=518

He had a quirk in it right off, but it was an odd deal. It's fixed, and it is a really great bike. Expect to pay atleast $1000 for a good bike.

Bad example below:

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/03/86/75/26/0003867526108_500X500.jpg

Watch out for these. They look nice until you get up close. The typical Walmart bike. See the rear spring? That's what you'll be doing, is springing around. Probably weighs 50 lbs too.

Get something with Shimano XT or XTR components. Or SRAM is starting to make a pretty good name for itself.

Shan
07-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Unless you're racing, I think Shimano LX/XT set up is just fine for a serious recreational rider. XTR is top of the line for Shimano.

What kind of riding do you want to do? Street hucking? Cross country trails? Bombing down hills and taking it to the resort? It all depends on what you think you're going to do or enjoy most.

Oh and how much do you want to spend?

theprof
07-14-2005, 10:08 AM
I think everybody's hitting the questions - I get asked this a lot where I work, and usually it's in this order:

1 - what's your budget (I usually ask them for a range)
2 - how often do you want to ride
3 - what type of riding do you want to do now
4 - do you think you'll ride differently after some time in the saddle

I would certainly look at used bikes, but to do that you generally need to be more familiar with the components than with newer bikes. It helps for both, for sure, but you'll normally get more bike for less money with used. I also tell people to look at last years model closeouts, again more bike for your $$.

I think question 2 usually steers me in recommending lighter/heaver components. Don't be afraid of SRAM, and Shimano XT is usually good enough (I actually prefer it over XTR - more durable, less 'futzing').

You'll get a different opinion as to 'where' based on everybody you ask if you go new. Most shops are fine in sales, it's in service that you get the wide range of opinions. I find most of the maintenance I do on my own now, as I think I care more about it and usually because I don't want to wait 3 days to get my bike back (I'd rather RIDE!).

Good luck, if you find a bike you have specific questions about, I'm sure your posts will not go unanswered!

Sombeech
07-14-2005, 10:27 AM
Or just be like me and have accadacca pick it out for you.

I'm satisfied.

accadacca
07-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Or just be like me and have accadacca pick it out for you.

I'm satisfied.
Yeah you have a good bike and have had no problems in how many years now? He got it on a close out deal from Guthries off 7th east. (A personal favorite of mine for many years) I have been riding for a long time and have had several bikes. I could help you narrow it down when the time comes. Other bikers on this site like theprof and others could help answer questions. His 4 questions are how I usually start with a friend that wants a bike. I also have a buddie that sells bike parts. He could get you all the parts for much cheaper. Then just build it up or have someone do it. He just built up a sick new Cannondale for himself. The savings would make any biker weep. :cry1:

I will give him a free plug: http://stores.ebay.com/Majorsales-Co

rock_ski_cowboy
07-14-2005, 11:32 AM
1 - what's your budget (I usually ask them for a range)
2 - how often do you want to ride
3 - what type of riding do you want to do now
4 - do you think you'll ride differently after some time in the saddle

I think i need to think this through before i get a bike, maybe try out a few rentals or something, cause I really have no clue.

"Who am I? I don't know. I guess I have a lot of things to ponder." :ne_nau: