PDA

View Full Version : An Interesting Encounter

James_B_Wads2000
07-09-2005, 09:37 PM
I was driving home Saturday around 8pm after taking my daughter to the park. As I drove in the left lane west on 4500 S (into the setting sun) I noticed what looked to be a road bicyclist riding in the left lane a quarter mile ahead. The light had just turned green at 700 E and I was driving slow (30-35mph) because I could see the light was red at 500 E and the biker was just beyond that light. As I approached the intersection the light turned green and I continued through rapidly approaching the bicyclist. I covered the brake as I neared. I couldn

DickHead
07-10-2005, 02:10 PM
41-6a-1102. Bicycle and device propelled by human power and moped riders subject to chapter -- Exception.
(1) Except as provided under Subsection (2) or as otherwise specified under this part, a person operating a bicycle, a vehicle or device propelled by human power, or a moped has all the rights and is subject to the provisions of this chapter applicable to the operator of any other vehicle.
(2) A person operating a nonmotorized bicycle or a vehicle or device propelled by human power is not subject to the penalties related to operator licenses under alcohol and drug-related traffic offenses.

41-6a-1105. Operation of bicycle or moped on and use of roadway -- Duties, prohibitions.
(1) A person operating a bicycle or a moped on a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall ride as near as practicable to the right-hand edge of the roadway except when:
(a) overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction;
(b) preparing to make a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway;
(c) traveling straight through an intersection that has a right-turn only lane that is in conflict with the straight through movement; or
(d) reasonably necessary to avoid conditions that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand edge of the roadway including:
(i) fixed or moving objects;
(ii) parked or moving vehicles;
(iii) bicycles;
(iv) pedestrians;
(v) animals;
(vi) surface hazards; or
(vii) a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.
(2) A person operating a bicycle or moped on a highway shall operate in the designated direction of traffic.
(3) (a) A person riding a bicycle or moped on a roadway may not ride more than two abreast with another person except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.
(b) If allowed under Subsection (3)(a), a person riding two abreast with another person may not impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic and shall ride within a single lane.
(4) If a usable path for bicycles has been provided adjacent to a roadway, a bicycle rider may be directed by a traffic-control device to use the path and not the roadway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

41-6a-706.5. Operation of motor vehicle near bicycle prohibited.

An operator of a motor vehicle may not knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly operate a motor vehicle within three feet of a moving bicycle, unless the operator of the motor vehicle operates the motor vehicle within a reasonable and safe distance of the bicycle.

Enacted by Chapter 216, 2005 General Session

rockgremlin
07-11-2005, 07:27 AM
WOW! That's quite the story!! But I'm glad you posted (and also thanks to JamisJockey for posting the regs), because I've always wondered about the rights of cyclists on the road.

Generally, I'm courteous of cyclists but sometimes the really annoy me. In order to get to work I have to drive a busy two-lane highway (speed limit 50), that has almost ZERO shoulder. Apparently it's a popular route with the cyclists because I'm always passing at least 2-3 of them, and it's always a hassle because they're slow, and since there's no shoulder they're right in the road.

I'm not saying they don't have a right to ride on that road, but why don't they find a different road that at least has a shoulder?

Playing with fire...

accadacca
07-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Interesting.........I think this could have easily happened to any of us on a given day. I had to think for a while before I responded. I don't want to point fingers and I think that both parties are guilty. Sometimes I think one way when I am driving my truck down the road and have to go around a cyclist hogging the road. Then when I am on my bike on the road I think another way. I would disagree with honking at anyone. Unless they do something really stupid. It really pisses me off when people honk at me on my bike. :frustrated: But this chick seemed to be looking for trouble? You should have offered her a cold beer. :lol8:

Yeah no one wins in these kind of situations. Both parties just go away pissed off thinking that they are right and the other person is a f**k up! You just have to live and learn that's all. I would have thought what the f**ck is she doing. But I would not honk. I would have waited for her to get out of the way or went around her when the time presented itself. Just my $0.02.

KillEmAll
07-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I never know how to feel about bikers on the roads. When they inconcenience me I get really pissed at 'em. But then I wonder how else they are supposed to ride down the road I just happen to be on? But sometimes you wonder if they are going out of thier way to piss you off. I doubt it, but it can seem that way. I probably should stop throwing my half empty beer cans at them. And kissing their tires with my bumber is not cool. I should put a stop to that. Road bikers stir up such mixed emotions!

accadacca
07-11-2005, 11:28 AM
I probably should stop throwing my half empty beer cans at them. And kissing their tires with my bumber is not cool. I should put a stop to that. :roflol:

live2ride
07-14-2005, 10:15 PM
I probably should stop throwing my half empty beer cans at them. And kissing their tires with my bumber is not cool. I should put a stop to that. :roflol:

That is why I always pack mr glock with me! but I am in the mountains and don't own a road bike, but feel for both in this story. Thanks for the post. :hail2thechief:

Sombeech
07-15-2005, 08:38 AM
yowza. I ride to work sometimes, an 8 mile ride each way. Even though I pass 2 of those green little "bike route" signs, there's sometimes only 2 inches of pavement on the other side of the white line.

Bottom line, I may be right or wrong, but I'll be the one in the hospital with the broken leg. That's why I bought a helmet mirror.

Whatever the law is, we can't always trust the motorists to know it. But cyclists are the same way, as stated by James.

If there were a law passed that allows me to start cutting off cars, that's not going to keep me out of the hospital. We still have to use common sense. And riding after dark is a whole new level.

Thanks James.