PDA

View Full Version : Mount Olympus Hike

accadacca
07-07-2005, 10:06 AM
A few of us are hiking Mt. Olympus this Saturday. If anyone wants to tag along they are welcome. We will be leaving the trail head around 7:00am. Rockgremlin can chime in and tell us what trail we are taking to the summit and what we need to bring.

More info here: http://climb-utah.com/WM/olympus.htm

Going to my knowledge:

accadacca
rockgremlin
rock_ski_cowboy
Kyrell
?????

rockgremlin
07-07-2005, 10:26 AM
Bring:

good shoes
adequate food and water for an 8 hour all uphill hike
SUNBLOCK!! SUNBLOCK!! AND MORE SUNBLOCK!
Camera
Bug spray
a good attitude

Pull up the map on the Climb-Utah link in Accadacca's post, and let's meet there at the Tolcat's Canyon trailhead at 7:00. DON'T BE LATE!! :nono:

Feel free to add to this list where you see fit...

accadacca
07-07-2005, 10:42 AM
What about your lunch?????? :lol8:

And I second the bug spray thing. I will bring some 100 deet. The bugs at Bear Lake this last weekend would eat you alive without it. The cheap bug spray would not hold them off. If you didn't want them even flying around you then you used the 100. But the 20 deep woods stuff worked good for me.

crazy horse
07-07-2005, 11:59 AM
8 hours one way? Which trail/summit are you hiking up? I made it up and down in less than 5, and that was spending half an hour up on top.

rockgremlin
07-07-2005, 12:31 PM
8 hours ROUND TRIP! ( which is probably a fairly conservative number, accounting for pictures and hanging out up top, etc)

crazy horse
07-08-2005, 07:35 AM
Ahhh...I see. My bad, I just assumed that the 8 hours uphill meant one way. I wish I could come join you guys, that is a fun hike. I have baseball and football tomorrow...fun day.

Wasatch
07-08-2005, 09:08 AM
This is really not the time to climb Mt. Olympus. The sun will be shining on your butts most of the way, bring alot of water.

rockgremlin
07-08-2005, 09:14 AM
This is really not the time to climb Mt. Olympus. The sun will be shining on your butts most of the way, bring alot of water.

???

I'm confused. This is a summit hike...won't the sun be shining on our butts no matter WHEN we go? Unless of course we go at night?

The sun was at our backs the entire hike to Thurston Peak last weekend, but it was no big deal. The sunblock/hat/sunglasses combo took the sun right out of the equation. :2thumbs:

rock_ski_cowboy
07-08-2005, 09:42 AM
[quote=Wasatch]This is really not the time to climb Mt. Olympus. The sun will be shining on your butts most of the way, bring alot of water.

I think what Mr Wasizatch is saying is that it is a relatively "hot" hike to be doing in mid July and that sometime like late september or October would be a better choice for this one. He is also possibly miffed that everyone is choosing to do this "hot" hike instead of Grandeur (a much cooler option) with him. He has a point, but I say oh well, bring it on, Mr. Sun. I'll be there at 7, but don't be late, people, at least an hour of shade would be nice!. We did lone peak starting at 6:30 last year about this time and I wished we would have started at like 5:00 it was so hot. A gallon of water a piece was not enough for that hike, but this one sounds much shorter.

I'm confused. This is a summit hike...won't the sun be shining on our butts no matter WHEN we go? Unless of course we go at night?

Actually, evening/night is a great option for some of these peaks if you know the trail and how long it will take to get to the top. We did nebo starting about 5:30 PM , summitted at 8:30 and returned with headlamps and it was much cooler and less water intensive than it would have been in the day.

accadacca
07-08-2005, 10:04 AM
I ain't skeered! :lol8: I would like to do some hikes in the evening too. We should plan the next one in the valley for after work. I have a head lamp so coming back in the dark is no biggie for me. :cool2: When I go backpacking I prefer to hike at night. Not good for pictures though.

So I guess it is just the 4 of us then right?

rockgremlin
07-08-2005, 10:16 AM
Some neighborhood brat expressed interest too (Austen Gee). So far that's a maybe.

rock_ski_cowboy
07-08-2005, 05:44 PM
I might be in a little bit of a hurry to get back once we hit the summit. An old friend invited me to tube the Provo in the afternoon, and although she aint dating material, there is a chance she has hot friends... Just so you guys don't think I'm a dick for running off (maybe). Besides, I think trail running is a blast... definitely a side hobby of mine, I just need some new shoes for it.

James_B_Wads2000
07-08-2005, 08:04 PM
I would add bring LOTS of water and some gaderaide. You guys are kidding yourselves to think it will be anything besides bloody hot. There is no source for water unless Tolcats is still flowing, but I doubt it. But then again I am a water buffalo and generally take one gallon for any hike over half day in the summer.

Thanks for the invite, sorry for the late reply. Saturdays are no good for me. My wife works 10 to 6 and I am stuck watching the kid. The only exception is when I go out of town for the weekend, then I find someone to watch my kid for me. Saturdays are better for chores anyway. So if you

James_B_Wads2000
07-08-2005, 08:08 PM
Hey rock_ski_ cowboy,

Give me the 411 on rafting the Provo. I have never done it before and want to do it. Have you done it many times? Do you go through an outfitter or do you just take a tube and go?

James

rock_ski_cowboy
07-09-2005, 10:21 PM
I would add bring LOTS of water and some gaderaide. You guys are kidding yourselves to think it will be anything besides bloody hot. There is no source for water unless Tolcats is still flowing, but I doubt it. But then again I am a water buffalo and generally take one gallon for any hike over half day in the summer.

We started a little before 7. And we're happy to report that our asses did not get burned (it was shady and COOL until the last 30 minutes going up) and 2 liters of water was quite sufficient for me. Those poor blokes that were starting at noon, on the other hand, will have needed a lot of water and some aloe vera on their burnt butts.

However, it seems my truck was broken into during our hike. Sad thing is that I didn't have anything of value to any one but me there, but the asses managed to take my 10 dollars of gas money to get home, a used pair of 50 dollar street shoes, and two cases of burnt CD's. Some people!

I'll post a TR/info report on the provo under kayaking I suppose because tubing is like redneck kayaking I suppose.

crazy horse
07-10-2005, 12:49 PM
I bet that hike was packed. I drove past about 8 in the morning on my way to football and the cars went all the way out of the parking lot and along Wasatch Boulevard for like half a mile. Crazy

rockgremlin
07-10-2005, 05:13 PM
I bet that hike was packed. I drove past about 8 in the morning on my way to football and the cars went all the way out of the parking lot and along Wasatch Boulevard for like half a mile. Crazy

Yes it was. The most packed I'm used to seeing while out hiking. I'm used to hiking in remote desert slot canyons, where you'll be lucky to see just one person.

Sorry about your stuff gettin jacked Benny. How did they get into your truck?

accadacca
07-10-2005, 06:13 PM
Yeah that's messed up!!! :frustrated: I was surprised to hear that!!! :eek2:

Sombeech
07-11-2005, 08:07 AM

My deepest sympathies to you. It makes me sick to hear about somebody getting ripped off. I've been there myself.

Did they break a window?

rock_ski_cowboy
07-11-2005, 09:07 AM

My deepest sympathies to you. It makes me sick to hear about somebody getting ripped off. I've been there myself.

Did they break a window?

OK So now I realize what they stole of (some) value, it looks like my Ipod Shuffle is gone too. Hopefully nothing else turns up missing. I was hoping I'd left it at work, but no such luck. Old toyota trucks aren't the most secure things in the world, when I got back, the passenger side door was barely shut which was wierd to me, but I didn't realize anything was gone until I got to the gas station and started searching for my wallet. The ironic thing is that I'd lost my real wallet in the mountains several weeks ago and hadn't really replaced any of my ID's or credit cards, so the wallet they took only had ten dollars and my access card for work in it.

One time we locked our keys in and an off-duty police officer with a slim jim got us back in in about 1 minutel; it was probably someone with a similar tool.

At least they didn't jack my car stereo, that's pretty new. (I'd taken the face plate off and put it in the unlocked glove compartment, maybe that detered them).

accadacca
07-11-2005, 09:28 AM
That would really piss me off!!!!!!! :frustrated: It seems that you just cant trust people now days and certainly give them any excuse to be dishonest. It is really too bad. :bs: I have been burned a few times and now I find my self sometimes doing ridiculous things, just in case. Better to be safe than sorry is my motto with that kind of stuff. Yeah we shouldn't have to worry about that kind of stuff. But unfortunately that is life now days. It really sucks too......... pissed: Like if we are hitting a Mt. Bike trail down south and we want do a hike the same day. Then we have to plan to take the bikes back to the condo or hotel so they don't get jacked while we are on a hike. I just don't take chances anymore.

:lame:

rock_ski_cowboy
07-11-2005, 10:44 AM
Good news: Found the shuffle at another desk at work.

Sombeech
07-11-2005, 11:33 AM
so the wallet they took only had ten dollars and my access card for work in it.

:haha: Bastards.

You know what I've thought about doing? Buying an "all-a-dollar" purse, have a $1 bill sticking out of it, out in the open.

But when the thief takes it and opens it up in their car, they will find a pile of steaming dog crap in there. I figure I'd pay $2 to see that happen.

rockgremlin
07-11-2005, 11:38 AM
You know what I've thought about doing? Buying an "all-a-dollar" purse, have a $1 bill sticking out of it, out in the open.
But when the thief takes it and opens it up in their car, they will find a pile of steaming dog crap in there. I figure I'd pay $2 to see that happen.

Ya, I've had thoughts like that too, only my fantasies are much more vindictive. My purse would hold a remote controlled explosive device!! :twisted:

Sombeech
07-11-2005, 12:09 PM
Understandable. I get very evil intentions when I think of what I would do to a thief if I caught them.

I just hope I don't have my gun on me when I do... I don't want to go to prison.