PDA

View Full Version : out of the woodwork too..

Shan
06-24-2005, 02:53 PM
Thanks to Sombeech for inviting me!

I'm up in Cache Valley. I like to mountain bike, just took up tele skiing, oh and I like to mountain bike. I also like to canoe, and camp.

I moved to Utah in 1999 and I have never been so active in my life. Utah is good.

Looking forward to hearing about trips.

rockgremlin
06-24-2005, 03:04 PM
Welcome to the forum! Cache valley is a gorgeous place to end up!

accadacca
06-24-2005, 03:49 PM
Welcome to the forum! Cache valley is a gorgeous place to end up!
Yeah I really love Cache Valley. I travel up that way several times a year. I always stop to get some curd and cheap cheese at Gossners. Wish we had something like that in Salt Lake. Welcome to the site Shan. Tell all your outdoor buddies about the site. What is your top 3 Mt. Bike trails in that area?

Shan
06-24-2005, 06:06 PM
Let's see... up here I like

1. Jardine Juniper trail
2. Tony Grove/White Pine/Bunchgrass loop
3. Rick's Canyon/Steel Hollow loop

One of these weekends we're going to take a "vacation from our vacations" and camp/bike up near SLC. I haven't biked there yet, or PC.

CV is a nice place with amenities. I like the small town feel and yet you don't have to drive 50 miles to get a hospital. I lived in Hanna, UT first, then Duchesne, UT before moving here.

live2ride
06-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Let's see... up here I like

1. Jardine Juniper trail
2. Tony Grove/White Pine/Bunchgrass loop
3. Rick's Canyon/Steel Hollow loop

One of these weekends we're going to take a "vacation from our vacations" and camp/bike up near SLC. I haven't biked there yet, or PC.

CV is a nice place with amenities. I like the small town feel and yet you don't have to drive 50 miles to get a hospital. I lived in Hanna, UT first, then Duchesne, UT before moving here.

Shan,
Hey I want to hit Jardine sometime in the near future, would you recomend that as one of the best up there, I heard you have to hit jardine with the steel hollow loop to make it a better ride? let me know and welcome!!! (i was talking about biking it by the way) Later

Shan
06-29-2005, 08:50 AM
Shan,
Hey I want to hit Jardine sometime in the near future, would you recomend that as one of the best up there, I heard you have to hit jardine with the steel hollow loop to make it a better ride? let me know and welcome!!! (i was talking about biking it by the way) Later

I think the Jardine trail is a good one to do, but it is popular, so don't do it on a Saturday (or do it early). The JJ trail is an out and back with a cherry stem at the top-or whatever you call it. Seeing the tree is worth it if you have time.

The other trail you are thinking of Steel Hollow is best done with Rick's Canyon. Go up Ricks and down Steel (or vice versa), connecting the two with a fire road at the top. This one takes me 1:52 of pedal time, but I break alot on this one. This is up Right Hand Fork, which is before the JJ trailhead.

Willow Creek is another trail that starts up Right Hand Fork. You can ride Willow Cr. to Steel Hollow and see Ephraim's Grave, the last Gizzly shot in Utah. There's a rock that stood as tall as he did once. Or another one is Willow Cr. to Little Cottonwood Canyon. RHF is has a slough of loop options.

Do you know www.utahmountainbiking.com? It will give you a very good description of the JJ and RC/SH trails and how to get there. I also think both are great rides.

You can also take motorbikes up and down Steel, but not Rick's.

Wasatch
06-29-2005, 09:19 AM
A few years back I did a dayhike up to White Pine Lake (Tony Grove) get there real early if you want a parking space. Saw a ton of sheep on the way back. Also saw some kids climbing up to Gog or Magog (spelling).

rock_ski_cowboy
06-29-2005, 03:37 PM
I like the small town feel and yet you don't have to drive 50 miles to get a hospital. I lived in Hanna, UT first, then Duchesne, UT before moving here.

Interesting... My Dad's from Tabiona and we still have some family friends out there. Pretty country, nice people, middle of nowhere though. I think the bad parts of being raised in an isolated rural area outweighed the good for him, so he moved us to the middle of nowhere, 15 minutes from everywhere, and I love it. :2thumbs: