PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Heading to Zion 1-4 Jul?

Wasatch
06-21-2005, 12:30 PM
If anyone needs a partner or has extra room for one more, let me know. Have ropes.

John

Wasatch
06-23-2005, 03:17 PM
What no taker's?

accadacca
06-23-2005, 04:26 PM
What no taker's?
I really want to try some slots in Zion sometime this summer. However I will be at a family deal in Bear Lake that weekend. I also still need to get a harness and get thru the rookie hazing. :lol8:

rockgremlin
06-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Life just got a little more busy with the start of a new job, and a new baby.

I wish I could go. Hey but you're gonna go to Tom's Canyon Festival in mid-July aren't ya?

I'll be there end of the week (Imlay with Neil).

Wasatch
06-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Nope, he would not let me sign up. Me and some friends will do our own thing.

rockgremlin
06-23-2005, 05:58 PM
Oh brother!! :roll:

You should go follow around one or two of the groups in the Canyonfest just to piss him off!!! :haha: :haha:

Wasatch
06-23-2005, 06:09 PM
It's his festival, he can do what he wants (I just do not like being lied too). He told me I cannot do two in a row, but there are others that have and will be there. Maybe the one in Sep I will be able to join. We will have more fun anyways with my group.

rockgremlin
06-23-2005, 06:47 PM
We will have more fun anyways with my group.

You're probably right.

Sombeech
06-24-2005, 07:52 AM
What is the deal with this guy? Sounds like you guys know a little more about him than I do.

Why wouldn't he let somebody sign up? Isn't it "the more the merrier"?

Or is this guy just really picky?

And, I guess I should ask what the festival is all about? :ne_nau:

Wasatch
06-24-2005, 08:01 AM
Like I said, I can only do 2 festivals in a row. He tells me, let the newer folks come along, that's great, but I still would like to go.

Sombeech
06-24-2005, 08:04 AM
So is this festival just a big shindig? I would suspect you all meet together, have some dinner and entertainment, and then hit 3 or 4 canyons?

rockgremlin
06-24-2005, 08:42 AM
It's a thing where he organizes outings (usually 5-6 days long) of nothin but canyoneering. He likes to plan them for a specific area, and do as many canyons in that area during the length of the festival. You all meet/camp together, and are assigned a potluck item to bring for the last day of the festival. It's a good way to meet new people, and learn new techniques and have fun doing a bunch of canyons that you may or may not have done before. He does these things several times a year in different locations of the state.

The thing is, Tom is a bit of a prima donna, and has a tendency to rub most people the wrong way because he can come across as a little tactless and abrasive.

Sombeech
06-24-2005, 08:46 AM
So, is Tom a user on this forum? If so, which one is he? I'm sure I could find out if I read some of the old messages.

rock_ski_cowboy
06-24-2005, 08:52 AM
Tom's canyon festivals are big to medium sized shindigs where a totally random and I would dare say wierd mix of people (not all weird people, just a wierd mix although many of the people definitely qualify as wierd) get together and do canyons and drink beer. I went to one. Pros: Learn alot and meet people you've read post alot in egroups and make friends. Cons: I don't drink beer; and it seemed to be, in general, an older crowd. Lots of older women, and Tom pimps them all. (not that I give a crap, he can have them)

The Zionfest in question is very limited because 1) Permits are hard to come by in Zion. 2) Tom understandably needs trusted and reliable leaders to lead each group through the canyons and groups are limited to 4 or 5 people for most good canyons because big groups are SLOW. He currently has a shortage of leaders. If your desire is to get on at every festival, either take ACA courses until you're a certified "canyon leader", lead some groups through very difficult canyons like heaps on your own , or become good friends with Tommy boy-- they are his festivals after all, he can invite whoever the hell he wants. The reason there are people that go to every one and you're not included John is because 1) they're good leaders or 2) they're good friends. Always plenty of non-leaders at those things with sometimes a shortage of leaders. One of Tom's intents is to introduce unkown intermediates and beginners to safe canyoneering practices, thus the moratorium on repeat newbies.
One note, a festival is no place for true beginners, you should have some canyons under your belt and be comfortable with basic skills such as rappelling, rigging ropes and tying basic knots, wearing a helmet and a wetsuit, downclimbing, and maybe ascending ropes before you go to one. Once I get another year or so of difficult canyon leading experience under my belt, I'd do my own festival of sorts-- with an emphasize on getting the average age well under 30. At Tom's deals the average is at least 40.

rock_ski_cowboy
06-24-2005, 08:55 AM
So, is Tom a user on this forum? If so, which one is he? I'm sure I could find out if I read some of the old messages.

ratagonia. See helmet chat for an example.

accadacca
06-24-2005, 08:57 AM
Lots of older women, but Tom pimps them all. (not that I give a crap, he can have them)
:roflol:

Wasatch
06-24-2005, 09:50 AM
Benny,

Well, I guess I won't be on your list.

Sombeech
06-24-2005, 09:52 AM
Cool, sounds like it would be fun to attend. Older women? I'm in!! :afro:

By the way, I'm not trying to "scout" out Tom, I was just curious.

rock_ski_cowboy
06-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Benny,

Well, I guess I won't be on your list.

:cry1: OK so if i did a canyonfest (which I'm not planning on doing for the forseeable future) it would be even more informal than Tom's thingies and mostly would just be a chance for canyoneering homies to kick it and meet new canyoneering homies in a setting apart from aging treehugger element that dominates Tom's deals.

There, now that I've offended a large group of people including many of my good friends, I will crawl back into my cage.

accadacca
06-24-2005, 10:25 AM
Sounds like a good time? :lol8:

http://www.grandfather.com/hiking/hiking_pics/hugtree.jpg

accadacca
06-24-2005, 10:28 AM
Group hug! :lol8:

http://home.inreach.com/rtowle/NorthFork/Gallery/Michael_tree.JPG

rockgremlin
06-24-2005, 11:56 AM
Once I get another year or so of difficult canyon leading experience under my belt, I'd do my own festival of sorts-- with an emphasize on getting the average age well under 30. At Tom's deals the average is at least 40.

Right on dude - I'll be the first to sign up! :2thumbs: