PDA

View Full Version : What is your top 3 trails?

accadacca
06-02-2005, 11:08 AM
Top Ten Utah Trails
http://www.uthealth.com/index.php?src=directory&view=articles&srctype=display&back=articles&id=1068&sor=misc0&search=Amy+Ellis&view=articles&pos=0,10,3

A friend at the office gave me a free magazine that he got called Utah Health. It had an article about the top 10 Mt. Bike trails in Utah. I found it to be an interesting read. I located the website article. Have a look and list your top 3 in Utah. Here is mine:

1. Wasatch Crest: I believe this trail is around to 25 miles to the bottom of Mill Creek Canyon. The downhill is just plain sick on this trail. But the first climb to the towers really makes you earn it. We called it cardiac hill (others call it puke hill) growing up. Because if you made the climb without stopping you would feel like having an arrest. I would always gauge my shape by seeing if I could climb this hill at the beginning of the year.

Also a true test is if you can cross the "ribcage" as some call it. A rocky 40 ft long crossing above Dog Lake that will test your steering and balance. :scared: I have been told that I was "ridiculous" and other choice words by several bikers on the trail. When they see me cross this without stopping. Most people carry their bikes. :toofunny:

Then shooting the downhill and into Mill Creek Canyon is a blast as you blaze through two water crossings. Then dart between rocks and trees. It has to be one of the fastest trails around. And if you have big kahunas you take the bomb thru the trees at the beginning of the trail. Most come in from the bottom just below cardiac hill. The best route is from the top of guardsman

theprof
06-02-2005, 01:32 PM
I'm gonna have to give the top 3 some thought.......

I did like your description of people's reactions when you cross the 'ribcage' on the crest (I always heard of it called the 'spine' and it's above Desolation lake, I think :ne_nau: ). I was there last with some guys who don't ride a lot, and when I rode it, hiked back up and rode a different line, then hiked back and rode a 3rd line, they looked at me like I was freaking nuts! :crazy:

Last time I was on the spine tho somebody had taken a hammer to it and ripped a really easy line on the left side..... that kind of stuff just makes me mad. Believe me, I can't ride every technical piece of trail, but that doesn't make me want to fix it so everybody and their dog can, it just inspires me to try harder.

accadacca
06-02-2005, 01:42 PM
A HAMMER????? :frustrated: That's really :lame:

Yeah probably above Desolation? :ne_nau:

That's cool that you ride it! I don't know many that can. I remember when I started using clip ins.

The first time over that scared the crap out of me. :scared:

fourtycal
06-14-2005, 07:45 AM
My top three are,

Slickrock! I have been riding this for fourteen years. I ride it dirtbike as well but still love to pedal it, and I like the variety of people I meet on the trail from all over the world.

gooseberry mesa: this is newer to me but what a great ride!

Wasatch crest: Puke hill kills me, the veiws are awsome and it is close!

Sombeech
06-14-2005, 08:29 AM
Gooseberry Mesa

Wasatch Crest

Green Valley Loop

James_B_Wads2000
06-14-2005, 04:44 PM
Well I am not the most well rounded biker in Utah but this is my take on these trails:

1. Mill Creek Pipeline Trail.
Ok ride for beginners. I thought it was pretty cool until I rode it wile leaving Millcreek Canyon after doing the crest. Then I realized how crappy it really was. Up Big Water and down Little Water is much better.

2. Wasatch Crest.
Worth all the hype. Best ride I have done in the Wasatch. After a great hike up Puke Hill comes one hell of a down hill ride. Best part is after dropping off the ridge at the headwaters of Millcreek Canyon. Unless you have something to prove, walk the Spine. The shorter option of going down Mill B? at Desolation is a great one to.

3. Mueller Park. I thought this one sucked until I did the route up North Canyon and down Mueller Park, much funner than riding it as an out and back. Note to bikers on this trail: Slow the f*** down when riding down hill. To many a**holes ride this limited sight trail too fast.

4. Ridge Trail 157. This can be summed up in one word... Sh*t! Talked up in some circles as the Utah County version of the Crest, it is unworthily of such a comparison. Most of the downhill parts unridable (unless you're Jesus and ride the Spine without hesitation). It is long and boring with a killer car spot or an insane loop.

5. Midmountain Trail.
Never done it. But a biking friend of mine says it is a blast, better than the crest. Hope to do this one.

6. Gooseberry Mesa.
Never done it, but want to.

7. Slickrock.
Overrated a bit. But pretty fun, worth the effort.

8. White Rim.
I don't know about this one. I have never done it. I would like to drive support for this one someday and maybe ride one day of it.

9. Porcupine Rim.
Never done it.

10. Thunder Mountain.
I have always wanted to do this one but never got to it.

My three would be:
1- Dark Hollow (aka the vertical mile)
2- Crest
3- Virgin River Rim (not that technical of a trail but the scenery is f***ing mind blowing.

James

live2ride
07-14-2005, 10:18 PM
1. (snowbasin) starting at art nord (top of wheeler canyone) riding greens pond and then porcupine to make it to the top of snowbasin. Great ride if you enjoy climbing.

2. Lewis peak, (southern skyline) awesome climb great trail and very rewarding downhill

3. Ben lomond straight up kicks ass!!!!