PDA

View Full Version : Super Dell Facing Weapon And Reckless Driving Charges

accadacca
06-01-2005, 12:17 PM
Did you hear about this? Hilarious! Dude was brandishing a weapon. :2gun: Doesn't he seem like the nerd in high school that everyone picked on? I guess he is trying to get his glory days now. :lol8: EDIT: They just re-designed their website. You have to got to http://kutv.com/video/ and look for it.

Sombeech
06-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Yeah, I saw that. Now all the guys around the office are talking about whether he was in the right or the wrong in pulling the gun.
We're going back and forth like "well, if your life is in danger then...
but was his life really in danger?...
well if 3 guys came up to you...
but he was speeding...

yadda yadda yadda. :blahblah:

The funny thing is, yes he is a doofus, and whether he was right or wrong, I don't think those three guys ever got charged with "intending to assault".
Shouldn't they get charged also? I realize his crime was worse, but does it just go to the worst crime of the scenario?
If those guys don't get charged for cornering him, I'm going to start chasing down speeders in my neighborhood. :twisted:

accadacca
06-01-2005, 01:56 PM
Yeah dude I am kind of on his side. If I got cornered by 3 vehicles and I have my kid with me. Then a dude picks up a rock. Even if he says that he is only going to break my taillight. Well it may go into my back window where my kid is sitting. :scared: I probably would have done the same thing? :ne_nau:

Not knowing all the facts makes it hard to come to any solid conclusions right now. But a damn good water cooler story anyway. :popcorn:

Sombeech
06-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Having a concealed weapons permit (I've got one also) ties you down in some ways.
If you are getting surrounded, and you aren't confident in your fighting skills, you tend to fear for your safety.
When you are carrying a gun, you can make this situation calm down pretty easy, but if you pull it out, you get in trouble. What the law wants us to do, is wait for the situation to get out of hand, pull our gun, and shoot. :assault: It is actually a crime (brandishing) to show your gun without the intent to shoot.
It sucks because you can't just warn somebody to back off because you have a gun, or that makes you the bad guy. There's no half way point.
You have to be in death's face before you can legally pull your gun, and when you do, you'd better shoot your attackers dead if you don't want to get sued for defending yourself. :roll:

Sombeech
06-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Then there's those people who think GUNS cause the problems in the world.
The gun protestors kind of went quiet after terrorists with box cutters changed our world.

fourtycal
06-02-2005, 04:26 PM
I think the three road rage dudes that chased this guy down should get charged as well. If he was doing 80 through their neighborhood, how fast did they have to go to catch him and get him to pull over?
Maybe there is a reckless driving charge in it for all of them but the brandishing charge is bogus!

Sombeech
06-03-2005, 07:31 AM
Agreed.
I know that whenever I tell a story of how fast somebody's going, it's never right. If he really was doing 80, then call the cops. But if it's a dead end subdivision, how is he going to go 80?
I guess he did get the reckless driving misdemeanor, so he must have admitted to something.

James_B_Wads2000
06-03-2005, 09:08 AM
The interview I saw, Super-Dale said that the pulled his gun because he felt his property was in danger. Protection of property is not justification for using deadly force.

My brother-in-law, Uncle Charley, is a big rock crawler enthusiast. He owns a shop in Lyndon, Just For Fun Motor Sports, dedicated to building custom rock crawlers. Apparently Super-Dipsh** is also into the "sport". Years ago Uncle Charley was one of the leaders of a large group of Jeepers doing a trail (Poison Spider I think) near Moab. The leader in the back bringing up the rear radioed to Uncle Charley that some guy behind them is pissed and trying to play through. Uncle Charley went back to help. An argument ensued and the guy pulled a gun and started showing it of to make his point, take a wild guess who it was. In the mean time one of the other Jeepers in the group got scared and called 911 on his cell phone. Wile everyone was talking a Grand County Sheriff's helicopter landed and the cops came out and helped diffuse the situation before things escaladed further.

My point is that this is not the first time Super-Dale pulled his gun in an argument. Super-Dale is the definition of a Gun-Nut. It never fails to astonish me how the gun freaks think, that somehow pulling a gun in a heated situation is going to get things diffused and resolved. For all Dale knows pulling the gun could have ended up getting his daughter hurt or killed. But this thought never occurred to Super-Dale who only pulled his gun to make him self feel like a big man, instead of the di**less wonder he is.
It seems very unlikely that these guys saw some a**hole driving down the street and thought, "hey lets go kill him with a rock.

Sombeech
06-03-2005, 10:11 AM
I agree, you can't pull a gun if you feel your property is in danger. It can only be pulled if you feel your life is in danger.
The problem is, if you pull it, you must pull it with the intent to shoot. There's no half way point of pulling it and backing off. This is where Dale was legally wrong.

It's tough, because as a permit holder, I always have to keep in mind where that line is, because if I pull it, I have to be prepared to fire it.

I don't want to kill anybody. Who does? But they'll go before I do. It's unfortunate that we can't legally warn somebody to back off though, or else we're brandishing. And I understand why it's wrong, because you don't want everybody waving guns around. But we're stuck. We have to let the situation build and then SURPRISE!! I've got a gun, you're screwed. I could have told you I had a gun, so you'd NOT attack me, but then I'd get sued. It's come to the point where I must kill you, because I couldn't run from you.

It's a touchy subject. I'm no friend of Super Dale, but I do believe charges are in order for his 3 attackers also.

rockgremlin
06-03-2005, 10:31 AM
So wait a minute..."brandishing" is considered verbally warning someone? You can't just say "I've got a gun in my jacket, don't make me use it," without actually pulling it out?

What if you said that, and you really didn't have a gun? Is it still considered brandishing?

I think Superdell was using the excuse that he was trying to protect his daughter over his vehicle as justification for brandishing. This guy is one odd duck. You know, I don't like to assign blame or judge anybody until I'm there in person, and actually witness them commit the atrocity. I think people tend to judge too quickly, and too unfairly when they weren't there to actually witness what went on person. But with this Superdell guy, its weird - I only ever hear ridiculously bad things about him. Makes me wonder if I should start believing them.

accadacca
06-03-2005, 10:37 AM
You can't just say "I've got a gun in my jacket, don't make me use it,"
Man dude you sound like Dirty Harry. :roflol: Have you tried that line? :argue:

BTW....There is another video from last nights newscast with Super Dell. Dude is a total spazz. He would be better off if he shut his big yapper. He talks about getting busted at Valley Fair Mall a few years ago for showing his gun. Dude is whack! :crazycobasa:
http://kutv.com/video/?id=5670@kutv.dayport.com

Sombeech
06-03-2005, 10:55 AM
BTW....There is another video from last nights newscast with Super Dell. Dude is a total spazz. He would be better off if he shut his big yapper. He talks about getting busted at Valley Fair Mall a few years ago for showing his gun.

Yeah, if he shut up, he'd look more innocent. He's a spaz, and he's talking himself into more trouble.

So wait a minute..."brandishing" is considered verbally warning someone? You can't just say "I've got a gun in my jacket, don't make me use it," without actually pulling it out?

Yeah, but also showing it. I don't even think you can talk about it, until it comes out in it's full glory for all to see.

You know what's funny? You can legally carry a gun in your hand, loaded, in plain sight in a public place. You can do this because it isn't concealed. (not to say you won't get asked what's going on by an officer...)

Once you put it in your pocket, or glove box in your car, then you need a concealed weapons permit.

rockgremlin
06-03-2005, 10:59 AM
You know what's funny? You can legally carry a gun in your hand, loaded, in plain sight in a public place. You can do this because it isn't concealed. (not to say you won't get asked what's going on by an officer...)

Isn't that "brandishing?"

Sombeech
06-03-2005, 11:13 AM
No, I think brandishing means talking about, or showing it as some kind of threat or advantage over somebody. It's more than just being seen with it. You have to be directing somebody's attention to it.

This is why hunters can carry their shotguns and rifles in the back window of the truck, because it's in plain sight.