PDA

View Full Version : Flashflooding over Memorial Day weekend???

FOX
05-31-2005, 07:03 PM
Alright, so I was finally convinced to stop lurking and start posting by my good friend-and-ally rockgremlin. It's a little sad because now I no longer feel the superiority that I once did. :ne_nau:

Did anyone get flashed while doing slots this weekend?...(you know when I put it that way it just sounds wrong)......If so, which canyons?

So far this season, those who have come out with me and our fantastic crew have enjoyed impeccable weather conditions. We like to think of it as a good omen for the year because a lot of the time we get dumped on...check out rockgremlin's post of our near miss in "the Squeeze" awhile back. After dealing with the rain in SLC this weekend, I felt for those of you who may have been caught out in it. Hopefully everyone is alright. I'm more curious then anything else, but if any of you did get flashed on please post the details and how you dealt with the situation. Of course, cool TR's would be great as well.

Sombeech
06-01-2005, 07:36 AM
accadacca and I went to check out Kanarra creek the weekend before. (may 19-22). We really didn't get surprised by the raging water, but it did make it impossible to reach the slots.
The little ankle deep stream was a raging river coming out of there. We knew it was going to be bad, so we didn't plan on a full trip anyways.
But no unexpected flash floods for me or anybody I know.

Here's a video of the Kanarra Creek conditions:
http://uutah.com/forum/download.php?id=567

BTW, nice to meet you, Kyrell

FOX
06-01-2005, 11:33 AM
Likewise Sombeech...

Man, that river is runnin'! :eek2:

rock_ski_cowboy
06-01-2005, 10:57 PM
No rain in the swell in the last three days just a lot of wind and high clouds. We did a Knotted Rope/Quandary Combo, the Squeeze, and a little gem called Zero Gravity and had a lot of fun. We were glad we had wetsuits. Maybe some pics/TR in a few days guys but I'm exhausted. Until then enjoy the powell pic I'm posting.

FOX
06-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Well, you lucked out with weather...especially for the Squeeze. How full were the potholes? Last time we did it most of them were topped off which allowed us to move extremly fast for the size of our group. Rockgremlin and I were seriously bummed that we couldn't get away that weekend -- however, he did get into see Star Wars III for free thanks to the "crack" ushering staff at the Jordan Commons. :2thumbs:

rockgremlin
06-03-2005, 10:14 AM
Ya, I still have yet to mail a thank-you note to Larry Miller for letting me in for free. :popcorn:

Sombeech
06-03-2005, 10:21 AM
Lucky B*stard. I love Star Wars.

accadacca
06-03-2005, 10:33 AM
however, he did get into see Star Wars III for free thanks to the "crack" ushering staff at the Jordan Commons.
Crack staff? What the H double hockey sticks? :lol8: It doesn't surprise me. Rockgremlin and I used to sneak into Jazz games at half time. The dude is a pro. Taught me everything I know. :toofunny:

rock_ski_cowboy
06-03-2005, 02:24 PM
Well, you lucked out with weather...especially for the Squeeze. How full were the potholes?

Potholes were mostly 3 or 4 feet shy of full. We hit 4 keepers and no swimmers if i remember right. Several of the keepers were just deep and dry and we did a pack toss and several partner assists to get out of them. One big neck deep keeper got me especially cold cause josh had to climb out on my shoulders, dunking me, and then i went back and forth twice for packs before i got out. Brrrrrr. We only had three people so we still made pretty good time overall, even at a very liesurely pacel (10-12 hours camp to camp)