PDA

View Full Version : Camping Menu

DickHead
05-26-2005, 07:38 AM
Just thought I'd share how I typicaly eat on a car camping trip, and see how everyone else does it.
There were 5 of us.
Breakfast: Cereal and hard boiled eggs for breakfast, and banannas. Coffee out of the perculator.
Lunch: Cold cut sandwhiches out of the cooler
snacks: oatmeal pies and granola bars.
Dinner: Bratwursts boiled in beer and then grilled over the fire, beans on the side. Second night, hamburgers over the fire, beans on the side.

I generally don't make eating a big affair when I camp, it digs into my fishing time.

What do you make?

rockgremlin
05-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Wow!! You're eatin' good in the neighborhood! :haha:

I generally like to eat well on camping trips too, although I typically don't eat much when I go camping, because when I go camping, I am always really active (hike at least 5 -6 miles/day), and am usually more thirsty than I am hungry.

Breakfasts are light - fruit and a granola bar.

Lunch is also light - trail mix, fruit, granola bars, water, maybe a soda

Dinner - I like to eat well. Our last outing this past weekend, we went to Smith's and bought pre-made beef shishkabobs and chicken cordon bleu. Then we just laid a grill down over the hot coals of our fire, and cooked em up! Worked awesome!! I highly recommend it! Other things that go well over a grill are steaks, and sometimes chicken breasts. Several times we've brought down all the fixins' for a taco salad (cut up lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, grated cheese, tortilla chips) and then cooked up ground beef with taco salad seasonings and black beans in a dutch oven. I also highly recommend that!! :2thumbs:

If I'm in a big hurry, I have been known to just eat MRE's (boring, and definitely not my first choice!)

DickHead
05-26-2005, 09:24 AM
MRE's suck. It was my breakfast and lunch for 3 months back in '96. I only ate one a day and sold the leftovers when I got back home.

rock_ski_cowboy
05-26-2005, 09:50 AM
Favorite breakfasts:

Nouriche by Yoplait
Quaker Cereal Bars (much better than nutrigrain)
OJ
Pop Tarts
Occasionally Hot Oatmeal

Lunch:

Kippered Snacks and Ritz (if there's no girls around)
Salami, Provalone, and crackers
PBJ's or Tuna sandwiches
Clif bars and snickers

Dinner:

I like to bring the Hibachi for bbq chicken, steaks, and dogs
Also, Stauffers frozen skillet dinner bags with veggies and chicken or shrimp that are really ez and really good.
Chips and guacamole/salsa are always an awesome side/ appetizer

Sombeech
05-26-2005, 09:57 AM
Breakfast-beef jerky
Lunch-Teriyaki beef jerky
Dinner-peppered beef jerky.
Drinks-powdered gatorade in milk jugs.

at age 50-cancer

But really, Jerky is at the top of my list. Sometimes for dinner I'll get those cans of Dinty Moore beef stew, and throw a can of corn in there.

accadacca
05-26-2005, 10:06 AM
Sometimes for dinner I'll get those cans of Dinty Moore beef stew, and throw a can of corn in there.
Now that's livin' the high life. :lol8:

Sombeech
05-26-2005, 10:07 AM
And if I'm feeling saucy, I'll bring some of that Jiffy Pop popcorn to throw on the stove.

DickHead
05-26-2005, 12:34 PM
Sometimes for dinner I'll get those cans of Dinty Moore beef stew, and throw a can of corn in there.
Now that's livin' the high life. :lol8:

No kiddin. Besides, everyone knows the only canned food for camping is franks and beans
:2thumbs:

theprof
05-27-2005, 07:37 AM
Some great tips, gents....

Like rockgremlin, I tend to eat well on camping trips due to the amount of activity involved with biking, hiking, drinking.....

I gotta say some of the best stuff is found at Costco - they have great bratwursts (jalapeno, red pepper, etc). They also have pre-marinated chicken breasts, bacon-wrapped fillets... Of course I'm mostly talking dinner here, I also tend to go with granola/oatmeal/fruit for breakfast, and lunch is usually on the trail so the standard PBJ/Clif bar/jerkey works there. I like to take apples in the camelbak as well.

Sombeech, if we ever ended up camping together, I would make sure my tent was in the next campsite based on your diet!!! :bootyshake: (wish there was one with a little 'cloud' by it)

Cheers!

Sombeech
05-27-2005, 07:52 AM
Sombeech, if we ever ended up camping together, I would make sure my tent was in the next campsite based on your diet!!! :bootyshake: (wish there was one with a little 'cloud' by it)

Many victims have realized this too late, much too late.
Sometimes the sleeping bag acts as a filter, but like all filters, they can only take so much.

Sombeech
05-27-2005, 07:55 AM
BTW, one of the sources for the name Sombeech.