PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking gear, part Deux

DickHead
05-25-2005, 07:57 AM
Okay, lets go over gear. I'd love to backpack but don't have much in the way of gear, so its time to start spending money. Help me compile a gear list.

Obviously:
Tent
Pack
Sleeping bag
Water filter
Stove

What else?

Sombeech
05-25-2005, 08:26 AM
The best mess kit I've found is at Wal-Mart. They're going to have to start paying me for the promotion I'm giving them.
The mess kit has that copper toned bottom, and it's the least expensive one I've found also.
I've had one from Gart's, and it sucks. On the little water boiling pot, the water would leak through the rivets. Wal-Mart has got a good one.

accadacca
05-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Well this is for both of you guys. Jamis and crazy_h

Hmmm....going off the top of my head here. I have some lists at home. But it sounds like the basics have been mentioned.

I actually started leaving the tent home about 5 years ago and bought a bivy sack. It zips right to my sleeping bag and works like a charm. I just make sure and put on my snake and bear repellent. :lol8: If you don't know what one is then copy these words "bivy sack" into the search engine above and select google from the pull down. Then learn. I would recommend looking at the "Mountain Hardwear" stuff. Look for this logo.

http://images.rei.com/graphics/vendor_logos/758.gif

I got my sleeping stuff (bivy, bag, and pad) from REI. It is a ton lighter! Especially when compared to my old bag, tent, pad, etc. Yeah it cost a lot more, but it will last forever. I am just the type that likes to get something that will last. That is why I own Toyota's, I got tired of spending my weekends under the hood with other vehicles. I just want to drive. I forget what is under the hood anymore. Ok that's another story. :blahblah: I got my pack from REI as well. I have had it since high school. Damn has it lasted though! :2thumbs:

OK what else.........I carry a GPS with me. I like to know what is around and how far to it. etc. They have some great features and are worth it IMO. The list could go on all day for me. It depends how detailed you want to get? Last but not least is the most important item for me. A good fishing pole with the top secret Uinta lure is a must. :nod: Man is the fishing up there good! :fishing:

Ok have a look at the lure.
http://www.jakesspinalure.com/images/small_lure_pics/BrassJake.gif
It has to be gold with red dots. You can get these at Walmart. :lol8: Ok got the Walmart promo in. :2thumbs: