PDA

View Full Version : Another mostly true fish story

DickHead
05-17-2005, 10:06 AM
Its Spring of '94 and I'm stationed in MCAS Yuma, AZ. Yes, its hoter than hades down there. However, its right on the lower colorado river. There are a few spots where the colorado feeds irrigation ponds, mostly former farm fields diked off and filled up. They tend to be a little murky, but there are great forage including Tilapia, Mullet (not the hair) bluegill and Crawfish. The bass are introduced Florida strain, which allows them to pack on the pounds.
So, one morning I slipped my float tube out of my pickup and onto the water. I figured the timing was right for the spawn (early Apr). My weapon of choice was a 6' med-light spinning rod, 8lb line, and 4" worms on 1/8oz texas style rigs. The color that slays bass like no other down there is a dark purple. I was having a good day fishing the shoreline, and decided to paddle my way out to a visible weedbed right on the edge of a deeper section. I began having success, catching 3-5lb bass and some big freaking crappie. I pitched the worm into a pocket, and began my finesse retrieve. I noticed the line go slack and move to my left, picked the slack up and found weight. With a heave, I set the hook like a good bass fisherman should, and was greeted with a battle royale. I got yanked left, right, and forward. Then, she cleared the water just a foot or two in front of me, breeching like a humpback off California....

accadacca
05-17-2005, 11:23 AM
Damn dude! :crazy: How big is that thing?

DickHead
05-17-2005, 11:27 AM
Damn dude! :crazy: How big is that thing?
12 lbs 3 oz
:2thumbs:
Here's a few more pics of other bigguns I've caught.

rockgremlin
05-17-2005, 11:39 AM
Wow! Great story! I wish I had that same luck!

accadacca
05-17-2005, 11:39 AM
We'll have to hook up once the "summer" actually hits. I am getting the itch! :nod: I just dont want to go to early and get screwed. I would like to go up to Strawberry or Scofield on a weekday, as soon as the weather and conditions permit. :cheers: