PDA

View Full Version : Where Is It #1 - Contest Closed

rockgremlin
05-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Before participating, please take a moment to read the contest rules: http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=383

Ok, let's get this thing started!! :2thumbs:

Up for grabs in the maiden voyage of this contest is a Waterwise In-Line Water Filter.

See more info on this product here:

http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/view_product.php?product=ula001

The bridge in the photo spans across a large river. In order to win the prize, you must name:

1. The location of the bridge.
2. Which river passes underneath this bridge.

Questions regarding the contest? Post em here: http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=382

Good Luck!

rock_ski_cowboy
05-13-2005, 12:31 PM
The bridge in what photo

rock_ski_cowboy
05-13-2005, 12:33 PM
The bridge in what photo

er, my bad for posting before you finished your post ;) Too bad I can't delete or edit these posts, guess I'm the village idiot .

No idea where the bridge is BTW

rock_ski_cowboy
05-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Ok figured it out. Swinging bridge over the San Rafael River, San Rafael Swell.

rock_ski_cowboy
05-13-2005, 12:50 PM
Ok figured it out. Swinging bridge over the San Rafael River, San Rafael Swell.

In case that wasn't specific enough, it can be found in the San Rafael River Campground which is pretty close to the Buckhorn Wash area of the Swell. I really want the loot, in case you couldn't tell :rockon:

Sombeech
05-13-2005, 12:51 PM
I've got no idea, but if I was forced to decide, rock_ski answered that like a pro. You've got me convinced.

rockgremlin
05-13-2005, 12:53 PM
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rock_ski_cowboy has submitted the correct location! Congratulations!

It's just that easy!

The contest is now closed for this month. Check back next month for a different photo and prize!!

rock_ski_cowboy
05-13-2005, 12:58 PM
The contest is now closed for this month. Check back next month for a different photo and prize!!

Next month's challenge: make it google proof! I mean how many rivers are there in the utah desert? Like 6 that i can think of... Google Image Search of Green River Bridge, Colorado River Bridge, Dirty Devil Bridge, Fremont River Bridge, San Rafael River Bridge and BINGO. Woop it made my day anyhow, sorry to you folks that actually have been there :2thumbs:

rockgremlin
05-13-2005, 01:07 PM
Well, this is all true, but I deliberately made it a little easier because it's the first time around.

Besides, if it's that easy, howcome noone else was able to find it as quick as you? :ne_nau:

rock_ski_cowboy
05-13-2005, 01:27 PM
Well, this is all true, but I deliberately made it a little easier because it's the first time around.

Hey I'm not complaining :five:
Yeah, there's a delicate balance between finding a picture that someone out there could figure out but that isn't too easy and a picture thats downright impossible.

Besides, if it's that easy, howcome noone else was able to find it as quick as you? Chances are I'm the only one that checked the groups within 2 minutes of your posting! Anyhow, awesome game, any way i could pick one of the pictures to put up (maybe last months winner picks next months picture?) I've got a great idea of an incredibly beautiful place that's not too common, but that someone out there should be able to guess. I need to go take some pictures of it first. ..

rockgremlin
05-13-2005, 01:36 PM
i could pick one of the pictures to put up (maybe last months winner picks next months picture?) I've got a great idea of an incredibly beautiful place that's not too common, but that someone out there should be able to guess.

Hey, not a bad idea!! Go shoot the photo, and we'll make arrangements from there.

Wasatch
05-13-2005, 01:44 PM
I guess I do it the hard way, from memory.

Sombeech
05-13-2005, 01:50 PM
I guess I do it the hard way, from memory.
I can't even do that. I've got to hope it comes up in a movie or something.

accadacca
05-13-2005, 01:54 PM
Damn rock give the peeps a chance! :lol8: Google gets us again! :haha:

Congrats rock! :cool2: Sounds like you have a few ideas for the contest. We will revise it each month to perfection. :2thumbs:

grounded
05-13-2005, 02:28 PM
here's a twist on this idea: Post the mystery picture and the first one to post the same (recent) shot with them in it, wins. That would provide a motivation to step away from the computer and lace up the hiking boots.

just a thought.

grounded
05-13-2005, 02:36 PM
and yet another variation on a theme: post a small section of a topo map or ariel photo (see http://www.terraserver-usa.com/) and the one who guesses the correct location (or maybe posts their own photo of a feature on the map), wins.

Just another thought (sorry. slow day in the cubicle)

Sombeech
05-13-2005, 02:38 PM
Now those are some good ideas. :nod:

rockgremlin
05-13-2005, 05:50 PM
here's a twist on this idea: Post the mystery picture and the first one to post the same (recent) shot with them in it, wins. That would provide a motivation to step away from the computer and lace up the hiking boots.

We actually kicked this idea around before starting up the contest. I like it, and considering how quickly this month's contest was over, it may receive some serious consideration again. Besides, if the prizes are gonna be more than just the average token t-shirt, I think it's a good idea to get people to work for it!!! :2thumbs:

Anyone else object?

accadacca
05-13-2005, 08:25 PM

We actually kicked this idea around before starting up the contest. I like it, and considering how quickly this month's contest was over, it may receive some serious consideration again. Besides, if the prizes are gonna be more than just the average token t-shirt, I think it's a good idea to get people to work for it!!! :2thumbs:

Anyone else object?
:2thumbs: I say we run with it! Literally! :five: The first person with a picture in that same spot, gets the prize.

So rock_ski_cowboy hit the road! :lol8: J/K
I think it would be hard to find anything else that's Google/Internet proof. :compthrow:

In a few months we will submit a picture of Kings Peak. :bootyshake:

rockgremlin
05-14-2005, 12:55 AM
Kings peak would be a good idea. But many people already have photos of themselves on the peak. We would have to come up with a way that the users could PROVE that they hiked the peak after the start of the contest.

rock_ski_cowboy
05-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Kings peak would be a good idea. But many people already have photos of themselves on the peak. We would have to come up with a way that the users could PROVE that they hiked the peak after the start of the contest.

Fun idea. Like a photo scavenger hunt...! If you want to secure that the photo gets taken after contest starts you just need to specify what you are doing in the photo, ie two thumbs up :2thumbs: , doing a head stand , mooning the camera :bootyshake:

:lol8:

Just ideas to toss around, i like the picture idea though...

accadacca
05-14-2005, 04:14 PM
If you want to secure that the photo gets taken after contest starts you just need to specify what you are doing in the photo, ie two thumbs up , doing a head stand , mooning the camera
Good point! At first I thought about a date on the picture. But you can photoshop anything. If your really good you can photoshop yourself into an image. Don't get any ideas people! :nono: Should we say you have to have a witness? Now were getting too picky.

We need to specify the pose and have it out if the ordinary. We need something unique to "uutah". Any ideas? :ear: Or a different pose each contest? Plus a date on the photo?

rock_ski_cowboy
05-14-2005, 11:20 PM
Should we say you have to have a witness? Now were getting too picky.

We need to specify the pose and have it out if the ordinary. We need something unique to "uutah". Any ideas? :ear: Or a different pose each contest? Plus a date on the photo?

You basically are going to have to expect people to follow rules and be honest, not find a way to fake it. A dishonest person can find a dishonest witness really easily. It seems that if you anounce the pose when you post the picture (contest start date), and explain the rules well, that should be sufficient. Not all cameras are capable of dating their photographs so ex that idear.

grounded
05-16-2005, 08:12 AM

Bring along a recent copy of a newspaper front page and hold it up in the photo.

Sombeech
05-16-2005, 09:16 AM
Bring along a recent copy of a newspaper front page and hold it up in the photo.

That's a good idea.

rockgremlin
05-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Ya I thought of that too, but it's problematic when you get people involved from other states. Do they use their local paper? Do they have to track down a Utah newspaper? How do we know what a recent newspaper copy from another state looks like? How can we prove it's recent? And who wants to lug around newspapers on their hikes?

Lots of gray area.

I think we're gonna have to just rely on people being honest in their submissions.

Maybe we could have them pose with both arms straight up in the air, making a "U" sign in the photo.

grounded
05-16-2005, 02:22 PM
And who wants to lug around newspapers on their hikes?

They could just leave their TP home and save weight. Newspaper is VERY versitile.

Sombeech
05-16-2005, 02:26 PM
I'd say, they take a picture of themselves burning their arm with their lighter, then come home with the burn on their arm to prove it. :haha:

grounded
05-16-2005, 02:35 PM
It just hit me. When rockgremlin posts the picture to begin the contest, he also says what the person has to be doing in the picture (holding a rock above their head, standing on their head, being bit by a rattle snake, wrestling a grizzly, etc.. You get the idea).