PDA

View Full Version : Blue John Canyons

Wasatch
05-10-2005, 04:10 PM
Anyone interested in doing BlueJohn (Main Fork), Little BlueJohn, and maybe one of the Mindbenders or Larry, 20-22 May? E-mail me at j.styrnol@att.net.

rockgremlin
05-10-2005, 04:49 PM
I would love to, but may or may not be able to since I just barely landed a summer internship with Kennecott (they work 25hours, 8 days/week, 366 days/year, so who knows which shift I might be stuck with).

I'll let ya know if I'm in.

Wasatch
05-10-2005, 05:21 PM
I've been wanting to do these for about 2 years now.

rockgremlin
05-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Hey, a few questions:

Which one is "Little Blue John?" I did the West Fork into the main fork earlier this year (see the posted TR). Would you be going all the way to the big drop and on to the Horseshoe Canyon exit? Or just down the main fork, and back up one of the side canyons?

Do you know which Mindbender you would be doing? I also did Mindbender earlier this year, but it's somewhat of a shorter hike. I hear "Not Mindbender" has actually got more bang for the buck.

accadacca
05-11-2005, 01:54 PM
I just barely landed a summer internship with Kennecott
Congrats on that! Should be cool! :cool2:

Wasatch
05-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Little Blue John is west of the main fork and in between the west and main fork. Would like to do the Main Fork with the main exit route. Not Mindbender sounds good to me.

rockgremlin
05-11-2005, 03:27 PM
Just so you know what you're in for...Blue John Direct is a loooong day! Not very difficult at all, just long. Lot's of walking in a sandy wash.

Wasatch
05-11-2005, 05:15 PM
If we have a shuttle it will be shorter for all canyons. At least for a canyon or two we can cut some stuff out if no shuttle.

rock_ski_cowboy
05-12-2005, 08:42 AM
I've got a trip planned for that weekend already!

rockgremlin
05-12-2005, 10:16 AM
Hey Ben - What have you got planned?

I sort of already have plans that weekend too. We're looking at doing:

-Not Mindbender

and

-Twin Corral Box Canyon (230 foot free rap - SWEEEET!)

or

-Larry Canyon

So far it's me, Mike, another Mike, and probably hook up with John to do Not-Mindbender.

Love to have you along!!

rock_ski_cowboy
05-12-2005, 12:06 PM
I'm going to be on a week long trip with Ram and Stevee B. and company. We'll have to hook up on the next one for sure!

I'm planning on taking my close friends out to the Swell the next weekend (Mem. Day) to convert them into canyoneers on Shane's new Zero G. route, Music Canyon, Knotted Rope, and probably Quandary Direct or the Squeeze.

rockgremlin
05-12-2005, 01:18 PM
Oh, YOU SUCK!!!!!!!! :frustrated:

I'm sooo frickin jealous!!!!! pissed: Well, have fun anyways!

Kinda funny that you mentioned doing Music Canyon on Memorial Day. Mike and I were just making plans for that same canyon on Memorial day. We should hook up!

Wasatch
05-16-2005, 07:52 AM
So what is the plan here? Rock Gremlin? Who wants to go? I'm still waiting for a few others to let me know.

rockgremlin
05-16-2005, 12:51 PM
Here's my plan:

The group that's going down with me don't really want to do Blue John cause they've already done it, and wanted to do something they haven't done before.

We'll be travelling down on friday - sometime - not sure exactly what time. On saturday we'd like to hit Not Mindbender, and we were thinking of hooking up with you to do it? Is that OK?

Sunday we'd like to hit something short and sweet before the drive home. We've considered:

-North Fork Robber's Roost (It's got 3 drops, and some Subway-like narrows. We're seriously considering this one.)

-Little White Roost Canyon

-Buck Canyon

or

-Pasture Canyon

If you still plan to do Blue John, and need help with a drop off at the trailhead, we'd be more than happy to oblige you.

What do your plans look like?

Wasatch
05-16-2005, 01:36 PM
Well right now everyone I side band/e-mail has not responded yet. Maybe by tomorrow I should know more. I would like to at least have one person drive down with me, gas is a little bit too expensive for me and my explorer. By the way you get beta on those other canyons? If so is it Kelsey's book?

rockgremlin
05-16-2005, 01:44 PM
By the way you get beta on those other canyons? If so is it Kelsey's book?

It depends. For the more popular routes, I follow Shane and Tom's websites. For the lesser known routes, our primary beta source is Kelsey's guide, followed up with 7.5 minute topo maps, and word-of-mouth conditions via the canyoneer forums.

Been able to stay out of trouble pretty well so far.

rockgremlin
05-17-2005, 11:36 AM
So, Wasatch. What's it lookin like? For me things have taken a turn for the worse. :angryfire: :angryfire: The other two members of my group are flirting with postponing the trip to Memorial Day weekend, and a recent "family event" may be difficult for me to break away from. :frustrated:

Wasatch
05-17-2005, 04:06 PM
Looks like the same for me. Two friends want to go Memorial Weekend as well. Let's see what happens. I'm definitely going somewhere then.