PDA

View Full Version : Quandary Direct

rock_ski_cowboy
05-02-2005, 01:52 PM
Just did Quandary Canyon, direct route, with a lot of people from the yahoo egroups. I don't have any pictures. It was awesome to meet Shane, Hank, Tom Jones, Ryan Cornia, Randi and her daughters, Ram's wife Judy, and a few others and actually do a canyon with all of them at the same time! The pot holes were about a quarter full so most were not swimmers but three or four were definitely keepers! (both the second-to last and the last keeper had 10-15 foot blank walls to defeat!) Glad I was along with a lot of pros who had mastered the art of pack-tossing and partner assists, someone would get stuck in there if they didn't know what they were doing and be in a real quandary :lol: . I think half-full would be the most difficult state to find this canyon in: the potholes would still be serious keepers, but the water would be over your head. Someone without skills to get out, especially someone without wetsuits, would be toast in a pothole in such conditions (aka Skeleton Soup). I was stuck in the first keeper (chest-deep water) for 2 or 3 minutes before I realized that it would be alot more feasible to climb the rope out (that Ryan had placed) without my pack on. I managed to keep my cool, but it was freaky! I would have definitely panicked if I'd been treading water the whole time. No pictures from me, I didn't take a cam. I'm sure Justin has a few of this route if you guys feel the need to see it.

I was going to do the squeeze on Sunday, but was rained out.

rockgremlin
05-02-2005, 05:16 PM
First off, I'd like to say that I'm totally jealous! I wish I could've gone down and met everyone and done some slots. Too bad about the Squeeze - it's the the Swell's premier slot canyon. Sorta like Heaps is to Zion's.

I've done Quandary Direct three times, but neither time did I have a camera! :roll: The first time I did it was with Mike and another guy named Steve (who is an outstanding climber). The first keeper we encountered Mike jumped in, and then quickly realized he couldn't get back out. Steve and I stood on the rim laughing for about 2 minutes while Mike floundered like a rat in a barrel. After two minutes at Mike's expense, things got more serious when Mike went into panic mode. Steve did this amazing belayed jump over the pothole, and hoisted Mike out with a rope on the exit side of the pothole.

Lessons learned.

I thought you said you were gonna go further south after Tom's thing and do something in the Cedar Mesa area...did that happen?

rock_ski_cowboy
05-02-2005, 07:39 PM
. Too bad about the Squeeze - it's the the Swell's premier slot canyon.
Too bad we did the whole approach and then made the decision that the clouds looked too nasty! (right decision, it poured an hour later) That approach is one long mofo... (3 miles?) got me plenty tired just getting there and back.

I thought you said you were gonna go further south after Tom's thing and do something in the Cedar Mesa area...did that happen?
Josh bailed when he saw the forecast (the Poo-C) :angryfire: so i got a ride down and back with Rob, leaving my North Wash plans out to dry. (literally)

rockgremlin
05-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Too bad we did the whole approach and then made the decision that the clouds looked too nasty! (right decision, it poured an hour later) That approach is one long mofo... (3 miles?) got me plenty tired just getting there and back.

To be honest, I've done The Squeeze 1.5 times. We did the approach hike and back (6 miles) waaaaay back in the day, when the only beta we had for The Squeeze was Steve Allen's POS "Canyoneer Guide to the San Raphael Swell," which makes the bogus claim that "The Squeeze can only be hiked down to where things get much too difficult, and then you have to turn back."

Imagine how happy/angry I was when I discovered later that with the proper gear it's possible to traverse the entire canyon to it's end.

Stupid Steve Allen. Thanks for the bogus beta! :angryfire:

Sombeech
05-06-2005, 12:28 PM
Ok, so it's becoming pretty apparent that I buy myself a harness. Any suggestions on brand?

This harness will probably only see about 2 rappels a year, but I'm about 220 lbs so I don't want a cheap one!

And yes, I'm planning on getting back to 190 lbs :popcorn:

accadacca
05-06-2005, 12:40 PM
:roflol: We'll see about that tubby.......... :roll_lol:

I am catching up to you sitting in this damn chair all day. :frustrated:

rockgremlin
05-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Several places around town sell harnesses. I picked mine up from Black Diamond for something like $40. They had a pretty good selection. My friend Mike who goes with me canyoneering is around your same weight, and bought his from Black Diamond as well.

Sombeech
05-06-2005, 01:54 PM

Livin' in the past.

Then and now pics.

accadacca
05-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Livin' in the past.
I'll take the future after that picture. Just call him the hillbilly kid. Is that a mullet? Hey cus yer wanna go and dun get in da back of dat dare Jeape. :lol8:

Sombeech
05-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Livin' in the past.
Is that a mullet? :lol8:

Technically a mullet has to be shorter in front than in back. I strongly deny having a mullet in this picture.

High school? Different scenario. I may or may not have had a mullet in high school.

accadacca
05-06-2005, 03:07 PM
Ya just taking the mick! :wedgie: Mullets are cool! Just ask Billy Ray Cyrus:

http://www.truecountry.com/cyrus/billyray2.jpg

I bet his guitar is not even plugged in..... :toofunny:

What in the hell is this? http://www.ryancreative.com/slammer/slammers/slammer-billyraycyrus.html :scared: :puke:

That Google search at the top is handy. :2thumbs:

Do a search for Slot Canyons and you will find a "N" with the first result.