PDA

View Full Version : Victor Wooten

Sombeech
05-02-2005, 08:15 AM
For the Bass Musicians out there. Victor Wooten is the Steve Vai of Bass Playing.
My bud Blake and I saw him last saturday at Shaggy's in SLC, and we hung around after the show and had a chance to meet him.

His brother Reggie is an outstanding guitarist, and also rocks on the bass. He was playing a 10 string bass on stage!

Most of you guys don't know the name, but some more info on him is on his site:
http://www.victorwooten.com/

These pics were taken on my camera phone, so the quality is pretty grainy. You get the idea though.

Sombeech
05-02-2005, 08:29 AM
Some more pics from the gig. I can't quite remember why these were taken.... :2thumbs:

Sombeech
05-02-2005, 09:49 AM
How good is he? There's clips on this page that require Real Player, and also a video clip that requires Quicktime to play...

http://www.victorwooten.com/lessons/lesson1.htm#

accadacca
05-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Some more pics from the gig. I can't quite remember why these were taken.... :2thumbs:
I will give you two clues........ :mwink:
These two think that he is the guy that sings "baby got back" :roflol:

So did he mostly just jam on the bass or was there some good guitar stuff? What was it like? How many people came?

Sombeech
05-02-2005, 12:57 PM
They played for about 2 1/2 hours at Shaggy's. It was the same kind of set up like Steve Vai had, but fewer people.
We pretty much met the whole band, after the show.
This chick was playing for them, and she can jam! Not to mention she's got a hot little body also.
http://www.mcdivinity.com/

The show had some guitar solos from his brother, but the main emphasis was on Bass. I was very entertained, even though I am a guitar player. There was so much talent, that I even thought of picking up the Bass!

greyhair biker
02-23-2006, 09:59 PM
I just noticed this post - Victor Wooten ROCKS! My 17 yr old son is an advanced bassist and idolizes Wooten so I have heard lots of his stuff...WOW! IF you ever hear of him coming anywhere in concert let me know...tickets would be priceless :nod:

Sombeech
02-23-2006, 11:20 PM
Yeah, it sucks I had to use my cell phone for pictures IN THE DARK. But I would like to see his show again. I was purely entertained the whole time.

basilone0331
02-24-2006, 01:43 PM
I read in the paper today that he will be playing saturday at 10 at The Depot in SLC($22 through smith tix), I wish I could go but I have prior commitments. :doh:

Sombeech
02-24-2006, 03:07 PM
I read in the paper today that he will be playing saturday at 10 at The Depot in SLC($22 through smith tix), I wish I could go but I have prior commitments. :doh:

Really? This saturday? Oh man, I don't think I can go.

greyhair biker
02-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Oh man!!! gotta do the work thing....I think I'll let my son know anyway just to see the reaction I'll get :lol8: It's a Dads' perogative to torture :haha:

icthys
02-27-2006, 08:15 AM
I love Victor. The first time I saw him was with the Flecktones when I was 13. It blew my mind watching all those guys play, Victor put me over the edge when he swung that bass around his neck over and over again.

I've seen him 4 other times and each time it takes a week for my mind and ears to reach earth again. The guy is amazing, so are his brothers. I knew about the show Saturday but decided not to go, I'm regretting it now. I had no idea he had been at Shaggy's!

asdf
05-02-2007, 07:54 AM
Victor Wooten Rocks , that guy has mad skills. I bet it was a great show.

Wasatch
05-02-2007, 08:03 AM
I like him on the Vital Tech Tones stuff with Scott Henderson and Steve Smith, kick ass stuff. If you like bass, then also checkout Alain Caron. Don't get me started on guitar players, lol

asdf
05-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Do you like B

Rev. Coyote
05-02-2007, 08:14 AM
[quote=Summit42]Do you like B

HEADHUNTER
05-02-2007, 08:47 AM
I do like Victor - but for me - Stanley Clarke is the man. He's been around forver and took the bass to a whole different level - right after John Entwistle. :rockon:

Wasatch
05-02-2007, 08:51 AM
I do like Victor - but for me - Stanley Clarke is the man. He's been around forver and took the bass to a whole different level - right after John Entwistle. :rockon:

I liked him best, on his first 3-4 solo efforts and with the Return to Forever stuff, especially when Bill Connor's was playing with them, also tasty with Al Demiola.