PDA

View Full Version : My new Pergola

Sombeech
04-26-2005, 08:59 AM
I believe that's the technical name. It really adds to the back yard. Note the crowning item, the place for the hammock.

I've got the vines, ready to plant tonight after work. I'll have them growing up the 4x4 posts.

I would suggest this for anybody's back yard. It wasn't too expensive.

accadacca
04-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Nice work! :2thumbs: Now its BBQ time!

I just bought some patio furniture for my place. If I stay at this house for a while I might build a suspended deck off the back of my house. My backyard door leading to the patio is about 5 ft off the ground. So I would make the deck that height across the whole back of the house. Then also make a door to the deck from the master bedroom. Then of course install a Jacuzzi. :idea:

Perhaps I should consider something like this for the short term. How much did this one set you back? What are the dimensions?

Sombeech
04-26-2005, 10:01 AM
Right around $200.

It's 14'X14' square. The posts are 4X4 treated. Those are 2 X 8 X 16's around the perimeter, notched at the ends. And in the middle, there's 12 of the 2 X 4 X 16's.

I figured on having 2' squares in the roof, to let plenty of sunlight in still. If I would have went more, I might have needed more support. They will quickly fill in with the grapes, Wysteria, honeysuckle, clematis, and Ivy that I will plant tonight.

So, in the end, it will actually be pretty shady in there.

Time to go to Wal Mart for patio furniture.

accadacca
04-27-2005, 11:05 AM
Hmmm....I am thinknin of buiding one. That's pretty cheap for a little shade and easy to build. What is the height? How deep did you go with the posts? Are you going to stain it? Any other details that I would need to know?

Sombeech
04-27-2005, 02:50 PM
[quote="accadacca"]What is the height? How deep did you go with the posts? Are you going to stain it?quote]

It's about 9.5' tall, with the posts about 2.5' in the ground, with concrete. That's a little taller than usual, but I wanted to clear my kitchen window. Usually they'll be about 7.5' tall.

The 4x4's are 12' tall. Most people could use 10 footers though. My window is just off of the ground a bit.

I didn't stain the posts, but I stained everything else, after I notched them.

The top row of 2X4's are unnotched, or uncut. The bottom row going the opposite way are notched to hold the others, and notched to sit on top of the 2X8's.

Then I just screwed everything together at the crosses.

Sombeech
06-16-2005, 12:55 PM
Updated pics...

rockgremlin
06-16-2005, 01:05 PM
looks nice! :2thumbs:

Have you used that hammock yet? I've fallen from hammocks enough to distrust them most of the time.

Sombeech
06-16-2005, 01:36 PM
That hammock is the main reason I built the whole structure! Man, when I lay in that thing, I can be asleep in 4 minutes. It's very comfy.

Great to take a load off after the yard work's done.

Best $20 I've spent in a while.

Sombeech
08-27-2005, 05:32 PM
Check out these huge sunflowers. They really fill in the place, and they only take about 3 months to grow.

I'm gonna try salting the seeds when they're ready.