PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Trip Report - St. George to Tuweep (Grand Canyon)

accadacca
04-25-2005, 10:41 AM
7 of us left the trailhead at about 8:00am. Well I say trailhead but really it is just a dirt road outside of St. George. It is right on the Nevada/Utah border. We had quite the assortment of bikes on this ride. Some that we were questioning would make the ride without mechanical failures. We had one four wheeler in the group. He carried four 5-gallon gas cans on his back rack for those that did not have big enough tanks. My KTM and my Dad

accadacca
04-25-2005, 10:45 AM

accadacca
04-25-2005, 10:48 AM

accadacca
04-25-2005, 10:54 AM

accadacca
04-25-2005, 11:09 AM

rockgremlin
04-25-2005, 11:10 AM
Looks pretty fun! Were there many people on that road? Do any off-roading or was it all pretty much on dirt roads? How long did it take round-trip?

accadacca
04-25-2005, 11:12 AM
Day Two. We rode to some Petroglyphs and also a small Gypsum mine.

accadacca
04-25-2005, 11:15 AM

accadacca
04-25-2005, 11:17 AM

accadacca
04-25-2005, 01:09 PM
Looks pretty fun! Were there many people on that road? Do any off-roading or was it all pretty much on dirt roads? How long did it take round-trip?
There were a few vehicles on the roads. It was mostly just dirt roads. They do get a bit rocky the last few miles, but nothing that a car could not handle. We took all day and got back when the sun was going down. It could be done pretty quickly though. The roads are really good. We had some slow vehicles and were in no hurry. Average speed was like 40 mph. I usually go 70 on those kinds of roads. It is really a remote area of the canyon.

rockgremlin
04-25-2005, 02:28 PM
Some pretty great petroglyph panels! So who in the group was familiar with Gypsum enough to know what it was? Usually it's a mineral that most folks are unfamiliar with.

Pretty damn big lizard!

accadacca
04-25-2005, 02:46 PM
Yeah big DAMN lizard...We thought it might be poisonous? My Dad knew about the mine and the Gypsum. His parents lived down there for a while and he used to ride around to these different mines. He is kind of a mine hound too. He just likes to ride up to them doing 90 mph plus on a motorcycle. :ride:

I am always amazed at the amount mines that I see on my GPS when riding around remote areas like this. :ne_nau:

accadacca
04-27-2005, 11:32 AM
Another good one that I found.

Turbobob
10-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Sorry to dredge up an aging post, but I just joined & saw this report. Looks like alot of fun! I just bought a KTM 450EXC and am looking forward to taking some exploration trips like this one :thumb:

tanya
10-19-2006, 08:11 AM

I love the photos!!!! You guys really explored!!!! Where are those petroglyphs? :fishing:

accadacca
10-19-2006, 08:26 AM

I love the photos!!!! You guys really explored!!!! Where are those petroglyphs? :fishing:
We parked right on the border and as I recall they are just east from there on a dirt road. Pretty easy to find and there may even be signs.

And you wanna see getting around? Check this! http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3552

tanya
10-22-2006, 10:30 PM
We parked right on the border and as I recall they are just east from there on a dirt road. Pretty easy to find and there may even be signs.

And you wanna see getting around? Check this! http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3552

I went out to see the Nampaweap petroglyphs today. Those were great! We entered the Toroweap road where we usually do, off 389 near Fredonia. It was signed and easy to find.

Then I remembered seeing the cool Mt. Trumbull School House.... so we went looking, assuming it would be at Mt. Trumbull. :roflol: I never brought any info for finding it so we drove around ----- up to Mt. Trumball -- nothing there :ne_nau: ... then drove up another 7 miles up a dirt road which had a nice viewpoint but nothing else... so back down to Mt. Trumbull. We decided the school house must be down the road toward St. George. We found it, but by then it was just closer to drive to St. George... then all the way home to the east side of Zion.... That was a lot of driving! Nothing close to yours, but I am feeling it today. Thanks for the tip. The Petros were great and I loved the school house!

:2thumbs:

accadacca
10-23-2006, 11:09 PM
Great to hear, glad you enjoyed it! :2thumbs:

tanya
10-30-2006, 08:25 AM
Great to hear, glad you enjoyed it! :2thumbs:

Nampaweap Petros

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/album2/images/nampaweap-j_jpg.jpg

stefan
10-30-2006, 09:40 AM
ooh TANYA, THAT is a GREAT photo.

the perspective is fantastic and very interesting.

nice :2thumbs:

tanya
10-30-2006, 09:45 AM
ooh TANYA, THAT is a GREAT photo.

the perspective is fantastic and very interesting.

nice :2thumbs:

I made a whole album of them. It was a different site since the rocks had fallen.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/album2/index26.htm

nefarious
02-01-2007, 04:53 AM
I've been out there on my mountain bike. My original plan was to peddle to the Grand Canyon and back, but the trip was just too mind-numbingly boring by peddle bike (this experience inspired my purchase of an i-pod). So instead of treking all the way to the canyon, I camped across the street from the school at Mt. Trumbull (or Bundyville as it's known to provincials like myself) and returned home the next day.

The BLM people were great out there, each time one of them passed me, they stopped to make sure I had enough water and supplies. The highlight of the trip was being awakened by a chorus of coyotes about an hour before sunup. It was too dark to see them unfortunately.

Anyway, it looks like I know now where I went wrong. Next time I go, I go by motorcylcle! Nice photos people.

nefarious
02-01-2007, 05:01 AM
Stops along the way include an old school house in Mt. Trumbull. A real old farmhouse and the Tuweep ranger station. We ate lunch near the rim with some spectacular views.Did you go by the Bar 10 Ranch?

accadacca
02-01-2007, 08:49 AM
Did you go by the Bar 10 Ranch?
Hmmm...sounds familiar. It was a while ago now, we just took the dirt road from the border all the way there.

tanya
03-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Whitmore Wash

Went down this same area today to set up our shuttle for the rafting trip. When you get to that Mt. Trumbull School House, just keep going toward the canyon and you drive almost to the river!!! I had no idea. Next time anyone is out that way you should check it out.

Warning!!! Iron Butts needed. It took 3.5 to drive from St. George. I am not sure how long it took to get home, but we took the turn-off to Colorado City and went through the dunes.

tanya
03-08-2007, 09:32 PM
Did you go by the Bar 10 Ranch?
Hmmm...sounds familiar. It was a while ago now, we just took the dirt road from the border all the way there.

Hey! I was at Bar 10 Ranch today and talked with "Uncle Ned" :2thumbs:

accadacca
03-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Warning!!! Iron Butts needed.
An Iron Butt for a 3.5 hour ride? :nono: An Iron Butt covers at least 1000 miles in one day. It took me 20 hours...now thats a SORE ass. :bootyshake:

tanya
03-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Warning!!! Iron Butts needed.
An Iron Butt for a 3.5 hour ride? :nono: An Iron Butt covers at least 1000 miles in one day. It took me 20 hours...now thats a SORE ass. :bootyshake:

You are far far far tougher than I am. I feel all stiff from today!... and that was in a Rover!!! --- I can't imagine the pain on a bike!

accadacca
03-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Yup, we are getting prepped for a ride in yer neck of the woods next weekend. I need to change my transmission fluid and I may do the oil too. Anyway, it is supposed to be beautiful all next week and I am getting stoked. :cool2: We'll prolly turn close to 1000 miles, but in a couple days this time. :popcorn:

nefarious
03-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Hey! I was at Bar 10 Ranch today and talked with "Uncle Ned" :2thumbs:Lucky Ned, but you shouldn't be consorting with those evil "Welfare Ranchers," Tanya! I'm sure you and accadacca noticed the terrible devastation wrought by those selfish villains and their cows. That part of Arizona is mostly covered by juniper, sage, and cacti nowadays. Gone forever are the lush rainforests that once thrived there. Stupid cows![/sarcasm] (nobody get pissed, just having fun here)
:naughty:

I was thinking of using Bar 10 as a stopover/resupply depot for a future mountain bike trip to the Grand Canyon. I've changed my mind about not going there by way of peddle bike, but I'll rent some motorcycles and check the route before I try it again (maybe in a month or so).

Originally, I thought of using the chopper service there to get across the canyon and continue as far as Flagstaff, but that's probably a bit ambitious and probably too dangerous to attempt solo.

PS- Iron Butt is essential for riding a mountain bike to Bundyville and back. Last time my ass hurt so bad I had to pack my shorts with extra socks and TP, and I haven't felt the need to stuff my pants since the last HS stag dance I attended. Basically, I had to ride through the pain until numbness set in, kinda' like hiking with blisters. It took a week to heal.
:eek2: