PDA

View Full Version : Just A Beginner

Wasatch
03-13-2005, 04:19 PM
Canyoneering (Technical) is my new joy in life. I've only been doing it since late 03 and having a blast. Glad that a few people had a chance to checkout my pics, thanks. I will be turning 50 next month and hopefully I'm still able to do this stuff for many years to come. If any of you people want to go out and do some canyons let me know. I still need to get a GPS so I won't go down the wrong drainage. LOL

Sombeech
05-11-2005, 09:30 AM
50? Man, you're a great example. You're in better shape than me at 29. Good to see you on here, and thanks for the input you have to offer.

rockgremlin
05-11-2005, 10:37 AM
Ahhh, you don't need a GPS anyways. They're nice, but not necessary as long as your map reading skills are good enough.

I still have yet to get one, and I've never been lost. I'm an old-school 7.5 minute topo map and compass guy.

One big disadvantage to GPS units if you're into canyoneering is that they don't work when you're down in the slots - not enough satellite coverage. And they don't work well during certain times of day.

Wasatch
05-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Thanks. I'm not the best map reading guy around, but I like to have one in my group. Still not sure if I will buy a GPS, some beta with waypoints are just plain wrong anyways.

rock_ski_cowboy
05-11-2005, 07:24 PM
Hey John, I'm the dude that was dealing out chicken and steak at the potluck during Tom's canyon festival thing. It was nice to meet you there.

Ben

Wasatch
05-11-2005, 07:33 PM
I knew that. It was nice meeting you as well. Interested in doing BlueJohn, Little BlueJohn, and/or Not Mindbender? I posted something in the Canyoneering section.