PDA

View Full Version : White Rim Trail rock slide

Rodzilla
02-24-2005, 07:57 AM
Not sure if this is true but...

February 18, 2005 Sometime during the last 24 hours, a major landslide occurred on the White Rim trail causing a significant road obstruction. This landslide occurred on the west side of the White Rim, between the park entrance and Labyrinth campground. Specifically, the slide is located 1.7 miles from the White Rim west entrance just before the narrow cliff section of road that approaches Labyrinth campground.

It appears that a large section of Wingate cliff broke off and brought down a tremendous amount of material. The debris field is approximately 200' wide and up to 40' deep across the road. The debris spans from the base of the Wingate all the way down to river level. There are numerous "truck" sized blocks in the slide.

The White Rim trail is impassable to all vehicles, including motorcycles, at this location. The footing is extremely poor going across the slide - I sank up to my knees in dust and rocks as I crossed it. The slide area appears to be very unstable. People should stay off of it.

A reconnaissance flight has been dispatched to determine if there are any visitors in need of assistance.

Below are photos documenting the landslide. Thanks to Black George for his help in scouting the landslide.

Mark Pita
U.S. Park Ranger
Island in the Sky District
Canyonlands National Park

accadacca
02-24-2005, 09:09 AM
Wow! Thanks! Where are the photos?

Reedus
01-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Still waiting for those photos...

ExpUt
01-26-2009, 05:48 PM
Would be neat to see the photos, but I can assure you that 4 years later its open and clear, we ran it over Thanksgiving a few months back. A great weekend, the weather scared off all but a couple die hard mountain bikers, a couple on dual sports (yes Reedus, this area is absolutely only open to street licensed vehicles) and 3 of us in Toyotas. We literally had the place to ourselves. :cool2:

Reedus
01-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Wonder what they'll say when I roll in on my recently street legaled Yamaha Rhino?

Still wanna see those photos...

ExpUt
01-26-2009, 08:40 PM
Wonder what they'll say when I roll in on my recently street legaled Yamaha Rhino?

Probably nothing. That was a huge reason for the push the street legal abilities for ATV's. I can only imagine the NPS, BLM and FS are up to speed on it. I think its absolutely great, there will be such a limited number that do proceed with the legalization process that it won't affect those few trails.