PDA

View Full Version : Guitar stuff

DaveOU812
02-22-2005, 08:24 PM
Ok so I'm an avid guitarist and I tear through the Magizines rabidly but I just feel like I have no direction anymore. I feel like I've played everything from Metal to Flamenco. Any suggestions? Specific songs or Artists? Nothin too shred cause my tremelo picking has gone down hill since the Marines. NO TIME!!! I've been working on some shred but I get kinda frustrated cause I cant play as fast as Michael Angelo Batio. :rockon: Something more in the Satch/Vai :guitar: range that isn't too fast. Any suggestions of things to try are more than welcome. None of this bubble gum pop crap though. :lame: :sleeping: I'm sick of it.

Actualy wrote a couple of songs with a buddy of mine. We have a bar out in town that we could play in but we need some drums and a bass. Just kind of something to do.

Wasatch
03-09-2005, 08:41 AM
A few guitarist I like: Allan Holdsworth, Michel Cusson, Michael Landau, John Goodsall.

accadacca
03-09-2005, 09:24 AM
A few guitarist I like: Allan Holdsworth, Michel Cusson, Michael Landau, John Goodsall.
For me: #1 Angus Young, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Eddie Van Halen.

DaveOU812
03-14-2005, 01:21 PM
I actualy just got into a couple of new Metal bands. Cradle of Filth, Lamb of God, Children of Bodem, and Shadows Fall. Pretty good. Alot of screaming though. They are being called the new breed of Metal music. Check it out.
Children of bodem's Guitarist, his name is Alexi Valehio, of something spelled like that, he's been interviewed in magazines along with Zakk Wylde, and Steve Vai. Pretty talented guitarist. :rockon:

Sombeech
03-15-2005, 07:34 AM
Children of bodem's Guitarist, his name is Alexi Valehio, of something spelled like that, he's been interviewed in magazines along with Zakk Wylde, and Steve Vai. Pretty talented guitarist. :rockon:

Yeah, I saw that issue. I've really gotten into Shadows Fall, "the war within" album.

For listening at work, I have to tone it down a bit, and you'd be surprised at the talent in "accoustic" instrumentals out there. I'm starting to play a lot of classical accoustic songs in the office. You can still have your roots in Metal, but all good metal guitarists take classical lessons sometime in their lives.

That's how they can mix all of those major runs in their solos.

Also, to get some more variety, listen to some of that spanish accoustic guitar music. You can tell that Zakk Wylde has some of that under his belt.

accadacca
03-24-2005, 10:00 AM
Also, to get some more variety, listen to some of that spanish accoustic guitar music. You can tell that Zakk Wylde has some of that under his belt.
I broke out an old album that I am really into at the moment. It is Vince Neils first solo album called Exposed. It came out in 93 and I remember getting it in high school. This is a solid album!!! It's really to bad that they couldn't keep the momentum going to the next album.

It has some really cool spanish intros and sections built on spanish rhythms. Steve Stevens is the solo guitarist and let me tell you he shines on this album. I think it is his best work to date. The guitar work is amazing!!! You could probably pick it up at a used CD store.

accadacca
03-24-2005, 10:27 AM
I just ordered this instrumental by Steve Stevens. It

DaveOU812
03-27-2005, 04:41 PM
Yea, I bought that Shadows Fall album too. It's a good one. They have a DVD that comes with it. It shows you have to play two of the songs real slow. Kinda helpfull.

Sombeech
03-28-2005, 07:22 AM
Yea, I bought that Shadows Fall album too. It's a good one. They have a DVD that comes with it. It shows you have to play two of the songs real slow. Kinda helpfull.

Yeah, it looks like they play all of their songs tuned down a full step, with a drop C. That's when a floating bridge can be a real pain. I'm thinking of getting a solid bridge on my next guitar.

DaveOU812
03-30-2005, 07:41 PM
I said the same thing the first time a played with my floyd rose. It really is a pain. I got a problem maybe you can help me with. When doing tremelo picking, say there are three notes on one string and three on the next. Your picking really fast but does it matter how many times you hit the string? IF there are only three notes, do you only want to hit it three times or does it matter? I have a problem with my fret had keeping up with my picking hand when I tremelo pick. Thats why I ask.

Sombeech
03-31-2005, 07:16 AM
That depends if it's the same note played 3 times on the same string, or if there are hammer-ons and taps involved.
A lot of people make it sound faster with taps, and are actually picking just a few times. Or, they may hold the pick sideways, so they can strike the string more often, and faster.
I always say, if you're cheating, but it sounds like the real thing, play on!
Just remember, these are things that somebody else made up, like you and I.
It's nice to know the exact technique that this specific person played with, but that's THEIR personality choice. You may have a different style, and you may hit those same notes on a different string, different fret.

DaveOU812
04-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Hey sounds good to me. Basicly whatever sounds right. I'll just keep hitting it 6 times for three notes. It sounds alot faster to me.

DaveOU812
08-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Ok, it's official. I'm gonna sit down and finish cliffs of dover. Ever if it takes me three days of no sleep. :rockon:

Sombeech
08-10-2005, 03:40 PM
Go for it.

It's a good one to build your portfolio with. It will bump you up in guitar status.

DaveOU812
08-10-2005, 03:46 PM
Recomend anything else a little bit less technical? I'm not so much :rockon: any more but more of :guitar: I don't have time to thrash anymore.

Sombeech
08-10-2005, 03:53 PM
I'm actually working on a classical song right now.

It's Johann Sebastian Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring".

You can find tablature on the internet. You have probably heard the song, it's a well known song.

So far, it's been pretty challenging, if you get the edition for a solo guitar and not a 4 piece.

DaveOU812
08-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Oh yea, I've heard this. If I ever get to this, I'm gonna have to break out the classical guitar.

DaveOU812
08-10-2005, 04:47 PM
I tried that song of yours, I really don't think it's THAT hard. How are you reading it? Tabs off the net? Have you ever heard of guitar pro? It plays the song along with the tabs. It's worth looking at.

Wasatch Rebel
08-10-2005, 05:00 PM
Here's a great guitar discussion website--at least I used to go there a lot. Not enough time any more--it was too addicting! Anyway, here's the link: http://www.wholenote.com. For the forum, just go to the Fretbuzz button and click on that, and register. If you check the members directory, I think I'm still in the top twenty of posts there.

Shane Roe

DaveOU812
08-10-2005, 05:10 PM
I'll have to take a look. I'm always interested in learning something new.

Sombeech
08-11-2005, 07:20 AM
Some editions of the song have only one of 4 parts, making the main melody a piece of cake to play.

To actually play it, it's not that bad, but I'm trying to memorize the whole thing, so I can play it without needing the music, for impromptu requests.

DaveOU812
08-11-2005, 09:24 AM
Yea, I'm doin the one for a solo guitar but to memorize the whole thing??? :eek2: Mister your a braver man than I.

Sombeech
08-11-2005, 09:37 AM
That's why it's so difficult. I try to memorize every song I play.

I can handle Cliffs of Dover, I just want to be able to play it whenever I grab a guitar. Unless I want to carry music around with me, you know?

DaveOU812
08-11-2005, 11:52 AM
I hear ya. I don't know if I can memorize that much without it just being muscle memory. You got a couple a years on me though. (A couple meaning alot)

icthys
08-11-2005, 03:05 PM
Hey Sombeech, have you done any bluegrass flat pickin'? I'm a sucker for that bluegrass stuff. My dad's been teaching guitar for 30 years and has finally got around to getting a bluegrass band together. I love listening to them play. Dad's never been the most technical player but teaching and transcribing there is none better.

Sombeech
08-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Never done any flat picking, by that I mean laying the guitar horizontal?

I've done it a few times, i guess, but never got serious about it.

I have done a few bluegrass things though. I've even dabbled with a banjo and violin.

Oh, also a harmonica, but that's not really bluegrass.

Bluegrass requires a lot of talent with the guitar also, I just haven't ventured there yet.

DaveOU812
08-12-2005, 04:48 PM
That flat pickin stuff is wyld. I don't know a whole lot about it but I assume it doesn't use a standard tuning? How does that work?

Sombeech
08-12-2005, 10:06 PM
The tuning depends. Sometimes it's normal, sometimes it's all "open", meaning you can strum all six strings open and it would make a major bar chord.

Also, there's a nashville tuning. Once you get into the flat guitar, there's a hole bunch of different tunings. A lot of it is with the slide.

DaveOU812
05-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Ok, it's been a while but I'm resurecting this thread from the dead. What is everone playing now? I'm doing shadows fall "Enlightened by the Cold" It's not too hard but it has been 7 months so I'm a bit rusty.

Sombeech
05-03-2006, 07:28 PM
I'm doing shadows fall "Enlightened by the Cold".

Great choice! Isn't that dropped a full step, and then a Drop C? Have you seen the DVD with them showing you the riffs? Good stuff. :nod:

DaveOU812
05-03-2006, 07:52 PM
I have the DVD. Thats where I origionaly learned it. I'm just using the tabs right now. It is in a drop C. I like drop C cause its just so heavy.

Sombeech
05-03-2006, 07:54 PM
I have the DVD. Thats where I origionaly learned it. I'm just using the tabs right now. It is in a drop C. I like drop C cause its just so heavy.

Yeah, it's cool. That's the real reason I bought my 7-string, so I could drop it down to A.

DaveOU812
05-03-2006, 08:05 PM
What songs are you playing right now? Making up anything of your own?

DaveOU812
05-03-2006, 08:54 PM
This tremelo thing is still kicking my ass. :boxing: That and I'm stayin at my parents house while in Utah and they go to bed pretty early. They hate when I play guitar late. :bore:

Sombeech
05-03-2006, 09:32 PM
What songs are you playing right now? Making up anything of your own?

Actually, I'm looking into buying a drum machine from a friend. It's got a really good bass tone and everything. I want to start laying tracks down on the PC, so I can throw them on the Mtn bike videos I will be making.

This will be a little while though. I will finish my basement first, then do some recording down there.

DaveOU812
05-04-2006, 09:36 AM
My buddy has one and we record stuff in the barracks all the time. Problem is, none of us know much about drums so it's kinda hard for us to make a drum track.

Sombeech
05-04-2006, 10:50 AM
My buddy has one and we record stuff in the barracks all the time. Problem is, none of us know much about drums so it's kinda hard for us to make a drum track.

Do you just use a PC to record the tracks on?

DaveOU812
05-05-2006, 10:18 AM
No. With his it's all right on the machine. I think you can plug it in and make them of the computer but thats now what we did. There was just a button for every beat.

Wasatch Rebel
05-08-2006, 01:16 PM
On a related note--I'm teaching beginner guitar lessons now, so if you know anyone in the Kearns/West Valley/Taylorsville/West Jordan area who wants to learn, let me know. I'm charging less than the going rate because I'm a new teacher (just began in Feb.), and I have openings on Tuesday nights.