PDA

View Full Version : Enduros

rock_ski_cowboy
02-21-2005, 12:46 PM
I was recommended to enquire over here by a Friend in the Yahoo Canyoneer group (Justin). I'm in the process of trading my car in for a truck and a motorcycle. I have a good idea what I want in a truck (Toyota 4x4), but no idea about motorcycles except that i want an enduro. I need something I can cruise up to campus with (road legal), and something i can put in the back of my truck and head to the desert with, something I'll use for canyoneering shuttles, and maybe a little trail riding, but nothing so hardcore that would demand a true dirt bike (jumps, dunes, etc). I've noticed that the "name brands" (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki) tend to be out of my price range unless they're really old (i've got about 1k budgeted for this). I also have noted "Economical" bikes around, mostly no-name brands that i am assuming are chinese. My brother in law had such a bike, an "X25" for a while, the thing looked straight out of pokemon, but he got it for about 1000 new and had a lot of fun with it. I'm thinking of going with something like that, but am truly clueless. Any of you know of something for sale or can recommend a good dealer and a good bike? Help?

accadacca
02-21-2005, 03:44 PM
I was recommended to enquire over here by a Friend in the Yahoo Canyoneer group (Justin). I'm in the process of trading my car in for a truck and a motorcycle. I have a good idea what I want in a truck (Toyota 4x4), but no idea about motorcycles except that i want an enduro. I need something I can cruise up to campus with (road legal), and something i can put in the back of my truck and head to the desert with, something I'll use for canyoneering shuttles, and maybe a little trail riding, but nothing so hardcore that would demand a true dirt bike (jumps, dunes, etc). I've noticed that the "name brands" (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki) tend to be out of my price range unless they're really old (i've got about 1k budgeted for this). I also have noted "Economical" bikes around, mostly no-name brands that i am assuming are chinese. My brother in law had such a bike, an "X25" for a while, the thing looked straight out of pokemon, but he got it for about 1000 new and had a lot of fun with it. I'm thinking of going with something like that, but am truly clueless. Any of you know of something for sale or can recommend a good dealer and a good bike? Help?
Welcome to the forum rock_ski_cowboy! :wavey: We need some skiing guys in here. Snow skiing I presume? I am on an early retirement from snow skiing. Well I just kinda lost interest? I don

rock_ski_cowboy
02-21-2005, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the welcome, downhill skiing is one of my passions (just got a new pair of skis!). Canyoneering, climbing, whitewater, horses, and hunting are among my others. In coming up with a user name, i thought of three words to describe me and it came out rock, ski, and cowboy. There you go.

Well, I'll admit that a thousand is way cheap, but I have seriously seen bikes for that price, just type in "Enduro" on Ebay... probably not the same caliber of bikes that you are used to riding. I'm selling my car for 7300, and my only stipulation is that I get a truck and a motorcycle for less than that. Since I'm currently looking at a couple trucks in the 5000 range, 2500 may be just about right for a bike, especially for a quality 650. Let me know the details about the bike, and I may be giving your dad a call in the next few weeks.

Ben

rockgremlin
02-21-2005, 09:53 PM
BTW, you mentioned you were an engineering student...finishing up I assume, since you mentioned that you were woking on your senior project. What kind of engineering? I'm a mining engineering student at the U. I'll be done in '06 sometime.

Right about now I'm wishing I went into something like history, or geology... :wallbash:

rock_ski_cowboy
02-21-2005, 10:00 PM
Electrical and Computer Engineering, at a certain school to your south whos athletic programs currently pale in comparison to yours (but academically is faring quite well) ;) I'm actually planning on going to law school, a couple of years of doing engineer-type work has been plenty enough for me.

Ben[/quote]

motorcyclebrain
02-22-2005, 06:28 AM
Your best bet would be to pick up a cycletrader . There are several bikes out there you could choose from. But, if it were me I would consider buying a Honda XL.

accadacca
02-22-2005, 07:37 PM
Since I'm currently looking at a couple trucks in the 5000 range, 2500 may be just about right for a bike, especially for a quality 650. Let me know the details about the bike, and I may be giving your dad a call in the next few weeks. Ben
Ok....The first bike that he has is not street legal but could be made into one. It is a '94 KTM 620 LC4 and he is asking $1500. You could buy a kit that would come with turn signals and the like for $4-500.

Picture new: http://uutah.com/forum/files/94ktm.jpg

The other bike is a '95 ATK 605 with blinkers, etc and is road ready. The advantage to the ATK is that it has electic start and only has 1800 miles.

Here is a new picture of one new. This looks just like his and his is really in good shape.

http://cbreysse.club.fr/profgromono/constructeurs/atk/images/ATK_605_98_cote_gauche.jpg

And then one of the articles that I found: http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/jan00/rick/atk/490x605_END.html
Just do a search and read on them. Good bikes and for the price you cant beat it. ATK's headquarters is in Centerville. They recently bought Canondale motorcycles and now they sell them with the ATK name.

I also found one on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6719&item=4529817509&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Anyway if you are interested in pictures of them or want to see the bikes in person let me know. Hope this helps.

acca

rock_ski_cowboy
02-22-2005, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the info and the pics! Give me a week to find a truck and see how much money I have left in the bank, and I may be up there for a test drive.

accadacca
02-22-2005, 08:22 PM
at a certain school to your south whos athletic programs currently pale in comparison to yoursBen
Geeze!!! That Air Force loss must have been like twisting the dagger. :kicknuts: I am also a Ute! But a big sports fan and I root for all in state teams. I really like watching the Y in Football. Well used I to! I feel sorry for the cougar fans. It has been depressing to watch this last football season and now basketball. :cry:

I hope they can get a decent athletic director in there and straighten things out. :nono:

rockgremlin
02-22-2005, 09:06 PM
Ya, I'm with you on that one. I'm a big ute fan, but I root for both teams. It's just the familiar cycle:

Y fan is humble, Lord blesses him/her with successful seasons
Y fan gets cocky/prideful, Lord sees fit to chasten with a couple of poor seasons. :kicknuts: :friday:
Y fan repents of his/her iniquities :hail2thechief:
Y fan is humble, Lord blesses him/her with successful seasons

Where have I seen that before?

rock_ski_cowboy
03-01-2005, 02:14 PM
The other bike is a '95 ATK 605 with blinkers, etc and is road ready. The advantage to the ATK is that it has electic start and only has 1800 miles.

acca

I just sold my car and found a suitable truck too buy. I have about a thousand left over, as expected, but am interested in checking out your dad's bikes anyhow. Thats what loans are for, right? Hit me sideband with contact info and I'll be up to Salt Lake to check them out in the next couple weeks.

Ben

accadacca
03-01-2005, 06:15 PM

acca

I just sold my car and found a suitable truck too buy. I have about a thousand left over, as expected, but am interested in checking out your dad's bikes anyhow. Thats what loans are for, right? Hit me sideband with contact info and I'll be up to Salt Lake to check them out in the next couple weeks.

Ben
I responded to your email.

acca

rock_ski_cowboy
03-20-2005, 05:22 PM
After sitting on it for a few weeks, I've decided I won't be getting a bike for the time being. I guess I've realized I've got enough hobbies that I'd like to spend more time with already, and the extra money in the bank could be put to a better use. Thanks for all the help, though!

Ben

accadacca
03-20-2005, 06:29 PM
No prob. :thumb: If anyone knows that it is difficult to stay into several hobbies it is me.

Hey where did your avatar picture come from? I have seen other people use us it too. :ne_nau: