PDA

View Full Version : Let's Go Hit One!

accadacca
02-12-2005, 12:17 PM
Hey rockgremlin,

Do you have any dated plans for a slot yet? I would like to hit a so-called "dry canyon" this winter. If we go down south the weather would be great for hiking and such. Like when we were in St. George. It would be good to hit an easy scenic one on a weekend or weekday. That way we could be eased into the more difficult stuff. I am not too interested yet in any wet canyons (at least in the winter) after reading some of the horror stories from the Climb Utah site. Geeze!!! :scared:

List a few different slots that you think we could try. We can then browse the Utah Climb site to see more details. Then discuss here. :blahblah:

We could drive my hybrid down south and not have to pay much in gas. eclipsee_steering Hopefully you can get away from school to be the guide. I would assume that only a few would be interested. As Tone Loc used to say: Les do it! :cool:

rockgremlin
02-12-2005, 05:07 PM
I actually have a membership to the Climb-Utah website. I belong to the "Circle of Friends" program. The website owner and I email back and forth from time to time.

If you want dry slots that are good for winter hikes, there are two places to go that are pretty good. Either the North Wash area down south of Hanksville on the road to Hite Marina, or the Robbers Roost area just east of Goblin Valley. North Wash is just off to the side of a state road, but is a farther drive than Robbers Roost. Robbers Roost however requires a lot of driving on dirt roads. So drive farther on paved roads, or drive less on dirt (and maybe muddy) roads. Pick your poison.

Next question: Who's in?

And...When?

For me the week of Spring Break is ideal. Spring Break is March 14-19, which is great for canyoneering because the temperatures are more mild. Could even get away with doing a semi-wet canyon at that point.

What say ye?

You know come to think of it we could get away with doing a few novice slots that I know of in the Swell on any given weekend. Those would be Little Wild Horse to Bell Canyon Loop (EXTREMELY popular during the summer months), and the less popular and less travelled little brother of Little Wild Horse, Ding Canyon to Dang Canyon Loop.

accadacca
02-12-2005, 06:38 PM
Yeah they both look like a blast! I have not been to Goblin Valley, it looks cool. Great for pictures!!! Little Wild horse is listed under the weekend warrior section. While ding & dang is listed as hard core. I am up for either, but well have to see what others think? I did a mapquest and it said 4 hours 50 minutes going through Price. It could be quicker going I-15 to I-70?

Have you done either of these canyons? If yes got any pictures? It mentions bringing a '30 rope for ding & dang. I think just for the packs? It doesn't talk about rappelling though? Would we need a rope for camelbacks? If we are real animals we could get to the trail head early in the morning and hit ding & dang, which takes 3-4 hours. Then take a break for lunch and hit little wild horse (4 hours) as a scenic deal to finish up. I think some time could probably be shaved off the 4 listed for LWH. Thoughts? If some people want to quit after ding & dang and call it. Then either go home or explore Goblin Valley for the rest of the day.

We could hit these first, then over spring break do some more technical stuff? I could go the first weekend in March? 4th & 5th?

Ding & Dang description: http://climb-utah.com/SRS/dingdang.htm

http://climb-utah.com/SRS/Files/Ding03s.jpg

Little Wild Horse description: http://climb-utah.com/SRS/lwh.htm

http://climb-utah.com/SRS/Files/LWH01s.jpg

rockgremlin
02-12-2005, 08:08 PM
I've done the Ding/Dang Loop twice, and the Little Wild Horse/Bell Loop three times. No pictures though. At the time I didn't have a camera!

Contrary to what Shane's website says, no rope is needed for the Ding/Dang Loop. I can see where it might come in handy, but I did it twice without rope, and never needed it. All you'll need is a camelback and some food. I'll provide the maps. There is some light climbing and some class 5 scrambling in Ding/Dang, but if there's more than two in the group it'll be no problemo. Also dress warmly, and even though there shouldn't be any water in these canyons, plan for it just in case. At the most it might be knee deep, so wear some shoes you can trash, or pack some Tevas in your Camelback. Extra shoes and socks to change into after the hike also. Aside from that, there's nothing more you'll need.

I would recommend planning one day for each hike as the days are still short, and you'll want extra time to take pictures and enjoy the scenery.

If you've never been to Goblin Valley, you're in for a real treat!! One of the neatest/weirdest places on earth!! Bring lots of film!!

Weekend of March 4-5th is good with me. Anyone else?

accadacca
02-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Weekend of March 4-5th is good with me. Anyone else?
Damn I just thought of something that I may have that weekend with work? I will check tommorrow? :wallbash: Rockgremlin are you free this coming weekend? I could probably go both or one of the other. I need to check on the 5th.

If we go this weekend we could hit one of them and do the other on the 5th? It would give others some options. Let me check on it. :deal:

rockgremlin
02-13-2005, 10:27 PM
This weekend is bad - it's Jackson's birthday. All of the weekends up to the 4th/5th are booked as well. :roll:

accadacca
02-13-2005, 10:31 PM
This weekend is bad - it's Jackson's birthday. All of the weekends up to the 4th/5th are booked as well. :roll:
Let me see what I can do? I think I am good? But?

accadacca
02-14-2005, 08:50 PM
Let me see what I can do? I think I am good? But?
I am plannig on going at the moment. It is going to be hectic at work that week, but I should be able to pull it off. I talked to someone today that said that Ding & Dang is awesome. It was this persons favorite! I say we hit that one! http://www.advrider.com/forums/images/smilies/hitit.gif

Anyone else in?

rockgremlin
02-14-2005, 09:14 PM
I think we should do them both. You can't get that far and not do Little Wild Horse. I'm planning on staying through till Sunday, hitting one of the two canyons before driving home Sunday afternoon. If you want to go home earlier on Saturday, that's ok. We can drive separate.

accadacca
02-15-2005, 09:52 AM
I think we should do them both. You can't get that far and not do Little Wild Horse. I'm planning on staying through till Sunday, hitting one of the two canyons before driving home Sunday afternoon. If you want to go home earlier on Saturday, that's ok. We can drive separate.
That works for me and gives me more options if my weekend is hectic. I am going to plan on hitting them both. That would be sweet! Say Ding & Dang on Saturday and Little Wild Horse on Sunday as a morning stroll. If I had to I could meet you Saturday night. :cheers:

Damn!!! There are a lot of cool slots and stuff in this area! I am reading about all of them on the CU website. :2thumbs:

rockgremlin
02-15-2005, 11:10 AM
I've done most of the best canyons in the Swell. Ding/Dang and LWH will give you a thumbnail version of what's to come if you really get into Canyoneering. The funnest, most exciting canyons require big rappels, problem solving, and usually a fair amount of swimming. I can still remember my first big rappel. I was scared! :scared: Now I live for it!

accadacca
02-15-2005, 12:22 PM
Ding/Dang and LWH will give you a thumbnail version of what's to come if you really get into Canyoneering.
Yup you can say that again! A few questions: Which location is the most popular? I would think Zions? Which area is your favorite and why? If you can pick one, what is your favorite slot? If not how about a few must visit slots.

rockgremlin
02-15-2005, 05:29 PM
I'm pretty sure Zions is the most popular canyoneering spot in Utah (or the U.S. for that matter). Ironically, I've only done two canyons in Zions (Keyhole Canyon and the Subway). Keyhole was short n' sweet, and the Subway is a classic - I've done it four times. I intend to do more Zions canyons this year.

My favorite place to go canyoneering is the Swell. There are many great canyons there, and it's desolate. Every time I visit the Swell, it doesn't matter if it's a holiday weekend, there is almost NEVER anybody there. That makes things nice because then you don't have to worry about things like parking, shuttles, permits, and a million tourists (all things that are typical of Zions canyoneering trips).

My favorite slot...hmmmm.....that's like handing me a stack of $100 bills and asking me which one I like best. To be honest, I've never done a canyon that I disliked. I like them all for different reasons. I could however recommend a few "must do" slots:

*Seger's Hole (The Squeeze) - Scenic and challenging, big rappels. :scared:
*Little Seger's Hole (or Seger's Window Canyon) - Really cool 120 foot rappel through a natural arch, not quite as challenging as The Squeeze.
*Quandary Direct - Challenging keeper potholes, scenic.
*The Black Hole - Lots of mandatory swimming, scenic.
*The Subway - Scenic, cool subway section + mossy slide.
*Baptist Draw/Upper Chute Canyon - Really tight narrows and very photogenic.
*White Roost Canyon - EXTREMELY tight narrows
*Cable Canyon - A mix of everything. Scenic, a big rap, swimming, an arch, keeper potholes.

Sombeech
02-16-2005, 06:33 PM
I'd love to go. Possibly first weekend in March also. Have you decided on one?
A simple solution is just to go camping near Goblin Valley, and be within 30 minutes to several slot canyons.
I'd say go down Friday night, hit maybe 2 or 3 little slots, or 1 big one, and head home sunday??

rockgremlin
02-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Yep, that's my plans for March 4-5th weekend. I have cleared everything to go that weekend. At school in one of my classes we're trying to plan a field trip. The entire class agreed that the March4-5th weekend was best. I coyly mentioned I would be out of town. So they all had to re-schedule :lol: I know my priorities. I'd like to leave friday and come back sunday just like you mentioned. I dunno when acca is gonna show up - he said possibly saturday or something...

Anyways, I'm gonna push for Ding/Dang loop and Little Wild Horse/Bell loop. Goodies. Read above for what you'll need...

accadacca
02-16-2005, 10:12 PM
This should be a great little winter getaway. I am going to try and go on Friday (4th) night too. I should be able to pull it off. :rockon:

From everything that I have read and heard these are awesome slots canyons. I still need to read the articles on the climb utah site about each canyon pertaining to rockgremlin's "must do" slots.

Looking forward to it! :cheers:

Sombeech
02-17-2005, 09:20 AM
Those seem pretty easy to hit. I'm looking forward to it. I've cleared that weekend (march 4-6).
I'll try to get Kill em All and Chivato involved here.

accadacca
02-17-2005, 09:31 AM
Those seem pretty easy to hit. I'm looking forward to it. I've cleared that weekend (march 4-6).
I'll try to get Kill em All and Chivato involved here.
Cool! Looks like a blast to me! :thumb:

I haven't seen Kill on here for a long time. He seemed to be into hiking, so he should be interested. Give those boys a shout. :blahblah:

Sombeech
02-17-2005, 09:50 AM
I gave 'em a PM, so they'll start checking it out. They've been looking, but just not posting.

rockgremlin
02-17-2005, 11:48 AM
Let me just put this out there...

What is everybody doing for accomodations? Tent? Under the stars on tarp? Under the stars no tarp? Cot? Just curious. I have a two-man, but I don't often use it.

Also, (and I can't stress this enough) DRESS WARMLY!! Last year I went on a camping trip to Moab in February, and it was FREEZING at night.

Also for the hike...Since there is probably some knee-deep water in these canyons, I'm going to invest in some neoprene socks just in case there are some pools that are unavoidable. I don't think they cost much, but other canyoneers I know that do many wet winter canyons say that neoprene socks are a little slice of heaven. They keep your feet dry in cases where wading/swimming is necessary.

Hey what time is everyone leaving to go down? I'd like to get down ASAP.

KillEmAll
02-17-2005, 12:13 PM
It has been a while since I posted. I should try to make it out here more often. I'm planning on going as well on the 4-6th. It sounds like a blast.

accadacca
02-17-2005, 01:13 PM
Let me just put this out there...

What is everybody doing for accomodations? Tent? Under the stars on tarp? Under the stars no tarp? Cot? Just curious. I have a two-man, but I don't often use it.

Also, (and I can't stress this enough) DRESS WARMLY!! Last year I went on a camping trip to Moab in February, and it was FREEZING at night.

Also for the hike...Since there is probably some knee-deep water in these canyons, I'm going to invest in some neoprene socks just in case there are some pools that are unavoidable. I don't think they cost much, but other canyoneers I know that do many wet winter canyons say that neoprene socks are a little slice of heaven. They keep your feet dry in cases where wading/swimming is necessary.

Hey what time is everyone leaving to go down? I'd like to get down ASAP.
I am not sure on the sleeping yet? I have a bivy sack and I can sleep anywhere, usually on a tarp. But if it's near freezing that might be a NO. :shock: I have a big camping tent. Like 4 man or something? I need to solidify my leaving friday night deal. Are we going to be sleeping at the trail head or a campground? There is a goblin valley campground? Reservations?

Tell me more about these neprene socks. How high do they go? Can you find a picture of them? REI? Walmart item? Looking.......

Next question: What are the roads like? Dirts roads? How far? Would I want to take my new car? If I take the truck I can sleep in the back. But MPG not so good. The Prius 50mpg! :cool:

4 of us in so far! Cool! :popcorn:

accadacca
02-17-2005, 01:16 PM
It has been a while since I posted. I should try to make it out here more often. I'm planning on going as well on the 4-6th. It sounds like a blast.
Welcome back! :thumb: We missed you! :cry: All right not that much.... :haha:

This should be a great trip! :cheers:

Sombeech
02-17-2005, 01:44 PM
I've got a 4-5 man tent. I usually don't get cold, I probably won't pack a jacket, just a long sleeve shirt.
I wonder if you can shoot firearms down there. If you can, we should bring the tater guns.
I found out they are actually legal. They're considered a firearm, so you can just shoot them in places where firearms are legal. I always wondered about getting caught with one.
Now that I have my Concealed Weapons Permit, I can take a Potato Gun wherever I want!! :P

rockgremlin
02-17-2005, 03:56 PM
I'm pretty sure Black Diamond or REI stocks neoprene socks. Maybe even Kirkham's but I doubt it. They're more of a specialty item.

You can camp at the Goblin Valley campgrounds, but you have to pay. I'm familiar with about a hundred other spots that are better, less crowded, and free just outside Goblin Valley, on the road to Temple Mountain. Some are right at the mouth of some really easy slot canyons - Wild Horse Canyon (not Little Wild Horse), Chute Canyon, and Crack Canyon, and maybe we could hit some of those while we're there too. The trailhead to Little Wild Horse Canyon is about a 20 minute drive away from the campsites I'm familiar with. We'll be on dirt roads most of the time, but they're well graded. Little Wild Horse sees a lot of traffic. During the summer months, the parking area is cram packed with mini-vans and small cars. Your Prius should do fine.

You could probably bring the tater guns. They would probably be off limits in Goblin Valley though (another reason to camp outside the park).

accadacca
02-18-2005, 03:07 PM
I checked Walmart last night for the neoprene socks. No deal! I am going to check REI online when I get a second.

And the tater gun is coming! :crazy:

rockgremlin
02-18-2005, 03:16 PM
I put the question of where to get neoprene socks on the Canyoneering forums and I was recommended the following places:

Sidsports
Wasatch Touring
REI
Sportsman's Warehouse

They're kind of out of season right now, so it may be hard to find them.

accadacca
02-18-2005, 03:19 PM
Here is a link to some at REI: http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?vcat=REI_SEARCH&stat=7889&langId=-1&storeId=8000&textQuery=neoprene+socks

I think they would be well worth having. :thumb:

I work by Sportsman's. I will check on my way home. They may have a better deal.

accadacca
02-24-2005, 04:45 PM
I have not made it to Sportsmans yet. Anyone else pick up any of these socks yet? Anything else that we need? Hey rockgremlin can you give us a check list of the items that we will need for the hike. :deal:

rockgremlin
02-25-2005, 08:32 AM
1. If this were during the hot summer months, I'd say bring lots of water. But you could probably get away with bringing less in March. A couple of 16oz. water bottles would be plenty.

2. Pack a lunch.

3. Dress warmly up top (a jacket and/or sweatshirt combo), and go prepared for wading up to waist deep on bottom. I'm probably gonna go with shorts/swimming trunks on, and some shoes I don't care about. Also, wear some socks you don't care about - the pothole water in canyons WILL PERMANENTLY STAIN ANYTHING WHITE to a shade of pink or brownish-red, so keep that in mind when considering what socks/underwear to wear.

4. First aid kit wouldn't hurt.

5. Camera?

6. GPS if you want - we won't be needing it in these canyons, you'd have to do this route blindfolded to get lost.

That's about it really.

Sombeech
02-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Do you think it could be risky bringing a camcorder? I just got one, and I would love to videotape these things.
I understand that I could drop it, or it could get wet. Are there some cool water/air tight bags that are convenient for these trips?

rockgremlin
02-25-2005, 01:55 PM
Just take it in a backpack wrapped up in bubble-wrap and/or towels. I'm gonna drag my medium format camera through these canyons, and that thing is the size of a camcorder, maybe larger. I'll be wrapping it tightly in large-bubble bubble wrap (you can get it from the post office), then wrapping that in a shirt or towel or something. Just as long as you don't drop your backpack it should be fine.

The narrows in these canyons are very photogenic. Looks good blown up on your wall.

rockgremlin
02-27-2005, 06:50 PM
Five days to the trip...I'm counting every second. :wallbash:

accadacca
02-27-2005, 07:19 PM
Five days to the trip...I'm counting every second. :wallbash:
Yeah I am getting pumped!! :lol: I have cleared the whole weekend off. So Friday thru Sunday I am good!! I hope the week goes fast!!! We will have to get a final count, then plan the driving arrangements as the week progresses. :cheers:

So far here is the list that I know of:

accadacca
Sombeech
rockgremlin
KillEmAll
Any others?

accadacca
02-27-2005, 07:25 PM
Do you think it could be risky bringing a camcorder? I just got one, and I would love to videotape these things.
I understand that I could drop it, or it could get wet. Are there some cool water/air tight bags that are convenient for these trips?
I found the site that I was telling you about on Saturday. It looks like they have some that would work for your camera. http://www.otterbox.com/

I have one of these boxes for my palm pilot. They are watertight and crushproof. Anyone that wants to make sure on their equipment, pick one of these up. They are awesome! I can

rockgremlin
02-28-2005, 01:54 PM
Four days to the trip...I'm counting every second. :wallbash:

rockgremlin
03-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Three days to the trip...I'm counting every second. :wallbash:

rockgremlin
03-02-2005, 09:31 AM
Two days and counting...

Hey when is everybody planning on leaving? Is KillemAll gonna ride with Sombeech? What time is Acca planning on leaving? What's the travel situation?

Sombeech
03-02-2005, 11:55 AM
I may be able to get outta here around 4:30, and I'll leave right from work. Kill em all and I can go down together and meet up with you two, unless some more people join in.
It doesn't look like they will though.

rockgremlin
03-02-2005, 12:19 PM
So then I guess the question is...what time can you cut away Acca?

accadacca
03-02-2005, 12:46 PM
So then I guess the question is...what time can you cut away Acca?
I am easy. That works for me. :cheers: We could meet at rockgremlin's house. 5 minutes off the I-15 and 2100 south freeway exit? Say 5:30? Unless you guys can do it earlier? Let us know by Friday.

accadacca
03-03-2005, 11:35 AM
Hey rock chaser! I am assuming that there is not a Wal-Mart close by? I mean I need to bring food for the whole weekend right? Are there any places with food close by? Probably not right?

Who is planning on driving? If we only have four we could probably squeeze into one vehicle. I can bring my truck and haul all the gear with no prob. But it is a bit squishy in the back seat for the other two? But possible? Unfortunately it is my wife

Sombeech
03-03-2005, 11:43 AM
Cam mentioned bringing his cherokee, not to force him to volunteer though.
I do remember it's dirt road for a while also.
How cold do you think it will get at night? I slept out in early March last year in Havasu Canyon, and it was alright.
We could probably all fit in my 4 man dome. Good ol' Coleman.
This could be a very simple, fun trip.

Does anybody have an AC adapter? I would like to charge my camcorder on the trip.

rockgremlin
03-03-2005, 12:16 PM
If you're referring to the Havasu canyon in Northern Arizona, then admittedly yes, it would be fairly mild in March, but I'm guessing it will be COLD at night here. The swell is a couple of thousand feet higher in elevation than Havasu Canyon. We'll be at about 6000 ft elev. I'm gonna bring my propane-powered space heater in case.

I think taking Acca's truck would be ideal!! Sure it'll be a little crowded, but not that bad.

I'll be bringing my power adapter.

I'm good with sharing a four-man tent.

The closest form of civilization will be either Hanksville, or Green River. Hanksville is a little closer, but there isn't much there. There's like two burger joints, two gas stations, and a little mini market. Pack all of your food tonight. Hanksville is about a 45 - 60 minute drive away from where we'll be.

accadacca
03-03-2005, 11:34 PM
Well we went to the Mayan tonight so I got a late start packing. Partly because the Mayan food got the best of me. If you cant even make it back to your house after you eat somewhere then you know it blows. Literally! :fart: We had some free coupons otherwise I wouldn

rockgremlin
03-04-2005, 10:37 AM
Welcome to Page 4!!!

Cell coverage in the swell is kinda hit and miss, mostly miss. AT&T gets pretty good coverage out there from what I've seen.

Sombeech
03-04-2005, 10:49 AM
I'll be bringing my power adapter.
Rockgremlin,
Would it be alright to charge my camcorder with your power adapter? I've only got 1 battery, and it was the standard cheap one.

I would love to get most of this stuff on video. I haven't bought any memory cards yet...

accadacca
03-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Welcome to Page 4!!!

I couldn't break away until Jen gets back from work - sometime around 5:30.

Cell coverage in the swell is kinda hit and miss, mostly miss. AT&T gets pretty good coverage out there from what I've seen.
We are planning on 5:30 at your house. Then they will decide if they want to ride with us.

rockgremlin
03-04-2005, 02:52 PM
Ya, I'm bringing my adaptor to share - as with all of my stuff. On camping trips I share all of my stuff -except my sleeping bag.

accadacca
03-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Ya, I'm bringing my adaptor to share - as with all of my stuff. On camping trips I share all of my stuff -except my sleeping bag.
I would hope so sicko! :gap:

Sombeech
03-04-2005, 02:57 PM
I would choose to freeze to death alone

accadacca
03-04-2005, 02:58 PM
I would choose to freeze to death alone
Yeah suuuuure! You sick puppy! :smilehah: