PDA

View Full Version : Lady Ute Gymnastics

rockgremlin
02-12-2005, 11:20 AM
Went up and watched the Lady Ute Gymnasts kick the crap out of BYU yesterday. It was a packed house!! The lady Utes are ranked #1 in the nation right now. Out of the 200+ photos I took, only about 50 turned out decent. Here's a sampling:

accadacca
02-12-2005, 11:49 AM
Wow I didn't know you were into Gymnastics? I did know that the Ute's where playing the lowly kitties. I had heard that they were going to crush them. They are sure limber

rockgremlin
02-12-2005, 04:48 PM
Ya I WISH I was in the last semester of my degree. I'm projecting spring of '06. I'm into collegiate sports much more than pro sports. I think collegiate sports are much more competetive than pro sports, and in my opinion are much more fun to watch. Consequently I've lost touch of the Jazz. I never watch them anymore. I've always been intrigued by gymnastics. It requires a high degree of strength and coordination to perform the exercises in gymnastics. The Ute gymnasts are amazing.

Just recently I purchased another camera - a Canon 20D. It's an 8.1 Meg Digital SLR. Pretty impressive little camera. Those pics you saw enlarged on my living room wall were taken with a medium format film camera, and I would have to compress the hell out of them to fit into a format that would easily be emailed. Those files are huge, but the resolution is outstanding. If you want detail, medium format film is the only way to fly.

accadacca
02-20-2005, 04:38 PM
Those pics you saw enlarged on my living room wall were taken with a medium format film camera, and I would have to compress the hell out of them to fit into a format that would easily be emailed. Those files are huge, but the resolution is outstanding. If you want detail, medium format film is the only way to fly.
What do the negatives look like? Are they bigger as well? When I was in school we had a digital lab for pictures. They had these small scanners for negatives. Pretty cool! You would scan the negatives right to the computer and then size them however you want. It had a program that would blow them up as they were scanned.

I thought about getting one and keeping my film camera. But it is still more work then a digital camera and I don

rockgremlin
02-20-2005, 10:12 PM
SLR stands for Single Lens Reflex, and basically it means a camera which has one lens that involves a mirror and prism where the viewer can look through. Basically, with an SLR when the viewer looks through the eyepiece, he sees exactly what the shutter sees. Some cameras don't have that feature - disposables for example. I don't believe your digicam is considered an SLR because it doesn't have a separate/detachable lens, which enables you to focus manually.

Yes, there is a substantial difference between 35mm negatives and medium format negs. My medium format camera is a Mamiya 645AF. The 645 is a reference to the negative size. The negative size is 6cm X 4.5cm. Compare that to a typical 35mm negative size of 2.4cm X 3.6cm. The medium format negative is over 3 times as large!!! This also means that the resolution and detail in the images will be much higher from a medium format camera.

Digital cameras may be great for convenience, but I'll never give up my Mamiya. I love that thing. Sure it's bulky and it shoots film, which has to be processed, but the results are outstanding. You should see some of the stuff I've shot with my Mamiya. It's professional grade stuff. I've actually sold some of my poster-sized prints.

On the flip side, digital cameras definitely have their place. I would never show up to a birthday party or wedding reception with a medium format camera. Too impractical! Digital all the way for stuff like that.

I shoot with both film and digital. That way I have all my bases covered. Medium format film beats digital in some things, and digital beats medium format film in others. Just depends on what you're shooting.

From the looks of your pic, it looks like either A. You were shooting in poor light, and your camera couldn't focus on your subject (a common problem that plagues virtually ALL cameras, especially in auto-focus mode), or B. You were too close to the subject. Try getting more light on the subject, or backing off a little more, then zooming in. Or both. If you can't focus manually then you might be S.O.L. there.