PDA

View Full Version : No Ski Bums out there?

accadacca
12-15-2004, 10:27 AM
I haven

motorcyclebrain
12-30-2004, 08:00 PM
Alta is one of my favorite too. Company is no reason not to ski some of my best ski days our by myself. So strap on a pair of slick sticks and get up there and shred. My motto on powder days always leave your buddy at home. Snowboarding is for people who cant ski.

Shan
06-24-2005, 03:13 PM
Newbie telewhacker over here! I love it.

rock_ski_cowboy
06-29-2005, 03:50 PM
have you skied in the Wellsvilles? I hear its nice backcountry up there. Personally, I ski a ton, but have never left the resort. I like to go as steep, deep, and fast as I can in-bounds, though. One of my best friends has really gotten into freestyle skiing, and I started to try some of the big air stuff with him this last year. Crazy stuff, scary at first, but very addicting. I need a helmet before I try any big 360's or anything because those guys sure eat it alot at first (and hard sometimes). 360's and 180's have kicked my butt enough off small stuff, I hate to think how it would feel after hucking one of those 30 or 40 foot jumps they're doing these days.

Shan
06-30-2005, 11:34 AM
I haven't done the Wellsvilles yet. It maybe a little steep for me right now. But I was able to do a few black diamonds at the Beav this season. Mind you I have never done any type of down hill in my life! So it was quite an accomplisment to me, on teleskis none the less! I don't even know how to parallel turn!

We did do the yurt trip (university yurt) in Feb and skied in Cottonwood Canyon. That was awesome. Like a foot of powder each day. The yurt would have been snowed in if we didn't keep on the shoveling.

Is freestyle done on alpine or tele skis? or both?

rock_ski_cowboy
07-01-2005, 11:02 AM
But I was able to do a few black diamonds at the Beav this season.
Is freestyle done on alpine or tele skis? or both?

The friend I was speaking of is a regular at the Beav, skis about 4 days a week. I think the reason he took up freeskiing is because the terrain wasn't steep or varied enough to keep things interesting otherwise...

Anyhow, I'm not an expert on the subject or the terminology (someone correct me if I'm wrong). But freestyle skiing is typically the exact other end of the spectrum of telemark (which is typically associated with backcountry skiing); it is park skiing. They have a whole new set of terminology for it, rails, boxes, hucks, jibs, table tops, kickers, half pipes, quarter pipes, etc. not to mention the tricks they do off said features. It wouldn't be very fun on Telemark skis, as jumping is not their forte. I've never seen anyone on Telemarks in the park, anyhow. The skis he uses are twin tip park skis with dull edges so as to not catch on rails and other features. Designed to be light, maneuverable, and flexible. Not great for powder, speed cruising, carving, moguls, etc. Good for 360's (3's), 540s (5's), 720s, etc (just keep adding 180), backflips, frontflips and all kinds of crazy things with wierd names.

I personally prefer to ski stuff that powder and is mind-bogglingly steep, where you catch air on each turn and literally fall a few feet in the process.

What I do admire, are folks that combine freestyle with huge backcountry, doing flips and 360's off of all kinds of natural jumps and features. Thats where I'd like to get someday.