PDA

View Full Version : The unexplored southern Utah

Sombeech
12-10-2004, 09:18 AM
I've been to a few places in southern Utah. Of course Moab and St George. Great trails like Slickrock, Poison Spider Mesa, Gooseberry Mesa, Green Valley Loop....

I want some clear directions to Bartlett Wash, just north of Moab.

Fuzzy TheBikeGuy
06-01-2005, 09:24 AM
I grew-up in Hurricane, Utah and being a bike-guy from birth; been there, done that.

Ever ridden the West Rim Trail? It goes from Kolob res' down past Potato hollow, the Emerald pools, and across the "swinging" bridge to the lodge in Zion Nat'l Park. I did it a few times in High-school (early 80s). 17+ miles DOWNHILL, with thrills sneakin' up on you FAST.

East Zion, Gooseberry (before them Harris boys fixed it up), Kanab & Kane Beds, all over between Hurricane & St. George...

As for finding Bartlet's; next time you're on your way down, come in to Decker's Bicycle in Price and I'll hook you up.

Sombeech
06-01-2005, 01:23 PM
Ever ridden the West Rim Trail? It goes from Kolob res' down past Potato hollow, the Emerald pools, and across the "swinging" bridge to the lodge in Zion Nat'l Park. I did it a few times in High-school (early 80s). 17+ miles DOWNHILL, with thrills sneakin' up on you FAST.
That sounds like a blast. Do you actually ride down the Emerald pools trail?

Fuzzy TheBikeGuy
06-01-2005, 05:42 PM
YOUBETCHA!

:naughty: Like I say, "early '80s; One time in particular my friend (we'll call him "Mark") got like EIGHT flats, and we ran out of patches. We're walkin' out in the dark for the last few miles, and it's over-cast and DARK as hell. WELL after midnight we come around the last bend and see the parking-lot at the lodge is FULL of rangers and Sheriff cars. SOMEBODY'S parents freaked-outr and called SAR to come find us!

There was a LOT of stress for a while, and bike confiscation was mentioned, but over all it was STILL a great day.

With federal hostilities toward bike riders in National Parks as they are these days, I can't recomend the ride for others, but ... :twisted:

Sombeech
06-02-2005, 07:23 AM
There was a LOT of stress for a while, and bike confiscation was mentioned
Funny how somebody else freaks out and YOU get in trouble when things are actually under control.

derstuka
07-22-2005, 07:21 AM
Sombeech: I was gonna hit Barlett Wash while I was in Moab, but I choose to go to Sovereign Trail instead because of recommendations and bikeshop conversations that I overheard. I wanted to hit the so-named "toilet bowl" or "Dolly Parton" gully. When I was reading that one guys book of Moab trails, I thought I was reading that Barlett Wash was mostly a playground, and not really an epic ride.

Sombeech
07-25-2005, 09:27 AM
I thought I was reading that Barlett Wash was mostly a playground, and not really an epic ride.

That's the impression I get as well. I hear you have to ride maybe 3 miles to get there, and then you just mess around for a while.

derstuka
07-25-2005, 09:59 AM
I definitely am gonna make a point of hitting it next time around. Toilet bowl here I come! Flushhhhhhhhhh....